G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:55 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by main_shoby
Thanks for the great advice. I think I should hold my roof vinyl and focus on other mods first "poorman's DIY" that is. on the other hand, your car looks awesome!! you had something done to your headlight's interior ? I don't have such blacked out headlights. they look excellent on you color combination IMO.
No, what you're seeing is a just light and shadow. Although if you get the Sport Package on the G-Sedan (or have the 6MT model), the headlight internals are a slightly darker shade than the non-Sport.

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Are you talking to me, or Rochester?
Well, he just thanked someone for great advice... still think he's talking to you?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:57 AM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
lol I mixed two responses. Thanking GoFightNguyen for poorman's DIY thread and Rochester for grill mod advice.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:59 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 751 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
No, what you're seeing is a just light and shadow. Although if you get the Sport Package on the G-Sedan (or have the 6MT model), the headlight internals are a slightly darker shade than the non-Sport. Well, he just thanked someone for great advice... still think he's talking to you?
T_T

No one ever wants my advice. Wings and stickers! Everywhere!
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 10:08 AM
main_shoby
Registered Member

hey I like deck lid spoiler!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:13 AM
main_shoby
Registered Member

But looks are entirely subjective.

For example, most people here cripple their car by reducing its ride-height on lowering springs. The intent is to create an effective, aesthetic look. While I personally think it effectively makes the car look ridiculous, I'm in the minority on that opinion. (Online minority, that is.)
So vossen rims without lowering springs ? I agree someone would make his ride look weird, especially sedans. In my opinion a tiny bit of lowering would be required to adjust wheel well gap, not by too much.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:23 AM
aktif8

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
But looks are entirely subjective.

For example, most people here cripple their car by reducing its ride-height on lowering springs. The intent is to create an effective, aesthetic look. While I personally think it effectively makes the car look ridiculous, I'm in the minority on that opinion. (Online minority, that is.)

On the other hand, one of my first visual mods was to wrap my fog lights in amber/orange window tint. I personally think it's an effective tweak to the appearance of my front clip, while at the same time I've been told my car looks like a Creamsicle. Meh.

I recommend you don't vinyl wrap your roof. It will look really dumb, IMO. And I say that at LOL risk of push-back.

Here's an inexpensive mod for visuals: remove your front grille and take it to a paint shop. Have the perimeter painted body color, and the middle slats painted black metallic, like the Midnight Grille. It's a very "effective" visual mod, very OEM looking, and still very unique.

I'll directly contradict that and say that a black vinyl roof on a MW car looks fantastic. Yes, it's sort of a poser move (you could argue that it apes the look of a tinted glass panorama roof,) but it ends up looking pretty slick, imo.

Also, I wouldn't say that a slight drop "cripples" a car

Excessive wheelgap is nothing short of anathema to me - it just looks wrong, and if anything - especially with aftermarket rims - makes the car look ineptly modded.

1.5 +/- down on eibachs (and kyb gr2s) on my x suspension admittedly made the ride a more harsh, but, again imo, the tradeoff is worth it for the aesthetics. It made the car look finished. I didn't notice a huge handling difference (not nearly as much as just upgrading the rear sway.)
Old 02-25-2014, 10:26 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Originally Posted by aktif8
I'll directly contradict that and say that a black vinyl roof on a MW car looks fantastic. Yes, it's sort of a poser move (you could argue that it apes the look of a tinted glass panorama roof,) but it ends up looking pretty slick, imo. Also, I wouldn't say that a slight drop "cripples" a car Excessive wheelgap is nothing short of anathema to me - it just looks wrong, and if anything - especially with aftermarket rims - makes the car look ineptly modded. 1.5 +/- down on eibachs (and kyb gr2s) on my x suspension admittedly made the ride a more harsh, but, again imo, the tradeoff is worth it for the aesthetics. It made the car look finished. I didn't notice a huge handling difference (not nearly as much as just upgrading the rear sway.)
Good use of the word anathema.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:44 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by main_shoby
So vossen rims without lowering springs ? I agree someone would make his ride look weird, especially sedans. In my opinion a tiny bit of lowering would be required to adjust wheel well gap, not by too much.
My new rims are 19", not 20". I wouldn't buy 20" rims. My thinking is that the 19" OEM Sport Coupe rims look just fine on the Sedan without lowering it, so that's the logic I went with in getting 19" VOSSENS. Like I said, the call of what is weird and what isn't is a completely subjective thing. I think most lowered cars look weird and wrong, and is a fad with young people that I'd like to see end sooner than later. I'm old, main_shoby. Suck it.

However, I'm not so curmudgeonly, nor too proud, to change my mind when assessing the final look. We'll see next month, because I still haven't put them on the car, just the dining room table. The forecast is for brutal, below-freezing temps, at least two more weeks.

Hey GFN... good use of the word curmudgeonly?
Old 02-25-2014, 10:50 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

I guess, his was a five dollar word. Yours is maybe 3.50
The following 2 users liked this post by GoFightNguyen:
aktif8 (02-25-2014), Rochester (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 11:00 AM
aktif8

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
I guess, his was a five dollar word. Yours is maybe 3.50

I'll be here all week, folks.

+1 or +2 rims on a car with stock suspension is generally awful - 40 or even 35 tires somehow exacerbate the wheel gap.

19s on a sport-equipped G aren't the worst thing in the world - might be reasonable to live with. The stock X suspension, however - nicht so gut.

Those Vossens are flashy, and clearly aftermarket - aesthetically, might call attention to the dreaded gap. I reserve judgment until pics are posted

I am not now, and have never been a member of stancenation.

(But if anyone here says that a coupe aggressively lowered on 19 or 20 vossens - with 285s / concave 10.5s out back - doesn't look amazing, your opinion isn't valid.)
Old 02-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Well, rears are 35's... but that's only because the rim is ten freaking inches wide.

I suspect when the time comes next month, it will be impossible *NOT* to see pictures of these rims on my car, for at least a few weeks. In fact, I predict moderator intervention just to get me to stop posting pictures.

The following users liked this post:
aktif8 (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 11:17 AM
aktif8

those are seriously beautiful.

Looking at them from that angle - I think black lugs.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:48 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by aktif8
those are seriously beautiful.

Looking at them from that angle - I think black lugs.
Thanks, aktif8.

I finally decided last night, after going all over the board on lug nuts. Spent $81 OTD at Amazon on a 16+4 set of McGards. These are a two-piece, steel & aluminum composite spline-drive design, in chrome, 34mm long, with a logo-less flat closed end.

It's a simple look, but strong and two-piece. And the price was agreeable.

Took me a while to figure it out. Here's the thread.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:58 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
I absolutely love those Vossens on the G37's, both Coupe and Sedan

So awesome!

Nick C.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:30 PM
aktif8

[QUOTE=Rochester;3743476]Thanks, aktif8.

I finally decided last night, after going all over the board on lug nuts. Spent $81 OTD at Amazon on a 16+4 set of McGards. These are a two-piece, steel & aluminum composite spline-drive design, in chrome, 34mm long, with a logo-less flat closed end.

It's a simple look, but strong and two-piece. And the price was agreeable.

Took me a while to figure it out. Here's the thread.[/QUOTE

Nice price - I paid about 100 bucks from amazon for my mcgards (w/ locks) in black.

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread