G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 08:58 AM
aktif8

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by ZOSTER33
Guys those rings help keep the aftermarket wheels from vibrating at high speed and not for getting the wheels performance ectly centered during installation. They are known as hub centric rings. Glad Vossen is including these with their wheels now because a big complaint in the past of their Wheels was vibration.
Heh.. The vibration is prevented because the wheels are perfectly centered on the hubs with the Rings. It's cause and effect, not either or.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:48 AM
Robert_K
Registered Member

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
Congrats on the new wheels!

Vossens aren't hubcentric?

Oh and while not "G37" sedan... In talks (email/phone) with Cadillac right now.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:56 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,707 Likes on 3,515 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert_K
Congrats on the new wheels!

Vossens aren't hubcentric?
Thanks, Robert. And apparently not... they came with four little plastic hub rings.

Next up: lug nuts. Think I might start a thread for opinions.

...this one: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan/255678-lug-nuts-for-my-vossens-opinions-welcome.html

Last edited by Rochester; 02-21-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:58 AM
Robert_K
Registered Member

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Thanks, Robert. And apparently not... they came with four little plastic hub rings.

My old WORKs weren't also and, IMO, the price we paid they should be.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:55 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by aktif8
Heh.. The vibration is prevented because the wheels are perfectly centered on the hubs with the Rings. It's cause and effect, not either or.
You stated that their only purpose is to center the wheel and that's it. NO they do serve a purpose and that is to eliminate vibration!

Hub centric rings are needed and used on aftermarket wheels to fill the gap between the hub of the car and the center bore of the wheel. Most wheel manufacturers make their wheels with a center bore large enough to fit most cars which means wheel fitments have a gap between the center bore and the hub, hence the vibration at high speeds. Those hub rings make the wheels hubcentric.

My Work wheels also came with hub centric ring but the ones I got are aluminum instead of plastic.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:59 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Next up: lug nuts. Think I might start a thread for opinions.

...this one: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan/255678-lug-nuts-
for-my-vossens-opinions-welcome.html
I say go closed end type. I have the open end Project Kics R26 and now I have some rust build up in there from water getting inside the lug nut.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:06 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
You'll have to update the picture of your G with the new rims once you get them on!
Old 02-21-2014, 05:38 PM
aktif8

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by ZOSTER33
You stated that their only purpose is to center the wheel and that's it. NO they do serve a purpose and that is to eliminate vibration!

uh, no.

The one and only purpose of the ring is to center the wheels.

The wheels being centered while torqued down significantly reduces the possibility of vibration.

The plastic ring aids in the wheels being centered during installation.

Period.

You truly think a flimsy piece of plastic prevents vibration?

The gap in between the hub and wheel is pertinent only in that it can lead to uneven mounting, which causes vibration.

If you somehow were able to remove the plastic piece after mounting the wheels perfectly centered, it would ride exactly the same.

To quote the tirerack.com faq (if you don't believe me....)

What is the purpose of centering rings? Are they required?

Some wheels are designed to fit multiple vehicle models and will use a centering ring system to reduce the bore size to match the hubs of different vehicles. These rings help to keep the wheel precisely centered on the vehicle hub as the lug hardware is torqued down. The clamping force of the lug hardware in the lug seats is what mechanically centers and secures the wheel in place on the hub.

Back to top.

3039 out of 5951 found this answer helpful • Was this answer helpful to you? Yes | No
Old 02-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong...

Old 02-21-2014, 06:00 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
I always smile when I read this threads thanks folks!

Robert - that's a sweet looking Caddy. My buddy has a sedan though oddly prefers my G. Enjoy it whatever you decide. (And let me know what you're looking for if you pull off the Motordyne please)
Old 02-21-2014, 06:06 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

uh, no.

The one and only purpose of the ring is to center the wheels.

The wheels being centered while torqued down significantly reduces the possibility of vibration.

The plastic ring aids in the wheels being centered during installation.

Period.

The gap in between the hub and wheel is pertinent only in that it can lead to uneven mounting, which causes vibration.

If you somehow were able to remove the plastic piece after mounting the wheels perfectly centered, it would ride exactly the same.

To quote the tirerack.com faq (if you don't believe me....)

What is the purpose of centering rings? Are they required?

Some wheels are designed to fit multiple vehicle models and will use a centering ring system to reduce the bore size to match the hubs of different vehicles. These rings help to keep the wheel precisely centered on the vehicle hub as the lug hardware is torqued down. The clamping force of the lug hardware in the lug seats is what mechanically centers and secures the wheel in place on the hub.

Back to top.

3039 out of 5951 found this answer helpful • Was this answer helpful to you? Yes | No

This is a quote from the manufacturer of hub centric rings and not from an online tire supplier. So your claim to be used just for centering the wheel is only half right.

DO YOU HAVE VIBRATION PROBLEMS ON YOUR NEWLY BALANCED AFTER MARKET WHEELS? No problem, we have a solution!Improve the fitment & balance of your aftermarket wheels with hub centric rings!
O’Rings / Spigot Rings or Alloy Wheel Hub Centric Rings are designed to fill in the gap between the hub of the car and the center bore of the wheel. Most wheel manufacturers design their wheels with a center bore large enough to fit on most cars. Therefore, since wheel manufactures make their center bore large enough to fit most cars, most wheel fitments have a gap between the hub and the center bore.
This gap usually doesn't allow for the wheel to fit hubcentric but rather lugcentric which causes vibration. Therefore, to fill the gap and ensure the fitment is hubcentric, hub rings are used.
Alloy Wheel Hub Rings are used to ensure that an alloy wheel is centred correctly on a hub of a vehicle. This is very important to ensure that your alloy wheels are safe and secure.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:56 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
John, just be sure to be careful when mounting or removing your wheels w/ the plastic spacers installed, they're very brittle and will crack very easily. That's a good reason alone to get the aluminum adapters. If you install the wheel at an angle w/ the spacer in the wheel bore the extra concentrated pressure on the ring will crack it. You need to bring the wheel straight into the hub. Also whan removing the wheel pull it straight back rather than letting it angle down on the way out. And yes, I'm talking about wheels here, lol.

FWIW, the definition of lugcentric & hubcentric is pretty good, the lugs get it close and the hub spacers get it even closer.

I would invest in the aluminum adapters though, the plastic ones really are frail junk
Old 02-21-2014, 06:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
John, just be sure to be careful when mounting or removing your wheels w/ the plastic spacers installed, they're very brittle and will crack very easily. That's a good reason alone to get the aluminum adapters. If you install the wheel at an angle w/ the spacer in the wheel bore the extra concentrated pressure on the ring will crack it. You need to bring the wheel straight into the hub. Also whan removing the wheel pull it straight back rather than letting it angle down on the way out. And yes, I'm talking about wheels here, lol.

FWIW, the definition of lugcentric & hubcentric is pretty good, the lugs get it close and the hub spacers get it even closer.

I would invest in the aluminum adapters though, the plastic ones really are frail junk
That reads like excellent advice, Brad? Thanks.

Got any recs and links for aluminum rings? (BTW, I don't have spacers.)
Old 02-21-2014, 07:02 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Funny thing about these hub centric rings. My DPE wheels came with them but we lost one of them a while back and mounted the wheel back on without it and I never had any noticeable vibration coming from the rear wheel?
Old 02-21-2014, 07:06 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

That reads like excellent advice, Brad? Thanks.

Got any recs and links for aluminum rings? (BTW, I don't have spacers.)
I don't know what size we need for our hubs but here are some I found on ebay!

Aluminum Hub Centric Rings | eBay

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread