G37 Sedan

VDC with AWD question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 04:27 PM
10Gee37exeS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
VDC with AWD question...

I originally posted this within a Newbie thread..but I figured that most people that know aren't ghoing to be in the Newbie section...Question regarding VDC and AWD...I know how VDC works applying brakes and whatnot...but with AWD does it control the power being sent back to front and vice versa? Or is the AWD system a totally different control system? Basically if I turn OFF the VDC, will power be sent from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip? (Oops..sorry wrong car quote). I know my WRX doesn't even bother with traction control or Vehicle Dynamics...I'm guessing Subaru just figured the symmetrical AWD system will take care of it...Also, my WRX has a mechanical rear LSD and open front diff and the central mechanical viscous-coupled diff controls front to rear power...The GxS' front and rear diffs are open and the center diff/transfer case is controlled electronically(?)...So does the VDC control control the AWD system as well? Basically, if half of my car is on ice and the other half is on pavement, and I have the VDC off, will both the tires on the ice just spin? Or will just the back tire on ice spin? Thanks!

Last edited by 10Gee37exeS; 12-04-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:36 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
AFAIK disabling the VDC does not change anything for the AWD.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:41 PM
10Gee37exeS

Originally Posted by My'09G37X
AFAIK disabling the VDC does not change anything for the AWD.
OK Thanks. So even if I turn off the VDC I'll get some sort of "Traction control" due to the AWD system...Per se. I just wonder how well it'll perform compared to my WRX. That thing no matter what ground conditions you have (to a certain point; i.e. no extremes) you point it in a direction and it just goes there....
Old 12-04-2013, 07:51 PM
SmokyQ_xS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm curious as we'll to see how my xS handles the snow with proper snow tires (Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds). Like you OP I have extensive experience with Subaru's AWD and with winter tires my '05 FXT was unstoppable in the snow. Though with the rear viscous LSD and 340 lb/ft at the wheels it could do donuts on command
Old 12-04-2013, 10:03 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I had a '09 xS sedan for four years ... used it as a ski car, Colorado winters. The AWD system is separate from the VDC system. Your car has two open axles, however traction control helps to slow a spinning tire and transfer torque to the tire with more traction. You also have snow mode that recalibrates the throttle. This is helpful in very slick conditions. I really like the Infiniti AWD system. RWD when not losing traction, AWD when needed.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:52 AM
10Gee37exeS

Originally Posted by SmokyQ_xS
I'm curious as we'll to see how my xS handles the snow with proper snow tires (Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds). Like you OP I have extensive experience with Subaru's AWD and with winter tires my '05 FXT was unstoppable in the snow. Though with the rear viscous LSD and 340 lb/ft at the wheels it could do donuts on command
Yeah you were seriously more modified than my Subie. But I love that first fresh snowfall + open parking lot. That rear LSD makes a huge difference even with AWD...I loved getting her in that "controlled drift." I remember first getting the Subie...coming from two RWD drive cars (e36 M3 then GTO 5.7L), and found out one of the worst things to do in the Subie when you start to slip is totally let off the gas, unlike RWD cars. It's better to just power and steer thru it...Also another thing I learned when I AutoX and RallyX was there was HUGE grip tillyou hit that limit..then it was like a rubber band snapping. When you lose it..you totally lose it! But to get to that point you really had to push it to the point wher eyou're quite insane in the first place!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:59 AM
10Gee37exeS

Originally Posted by gsm026
I had a '09 xS sedan for four years ... used it as a ski car, Colorado winters. The AWD system is separate from the VDC system. Your car has two open axles, however traction control helps to slow a spinning tire and transfer torque to the tire with more traction. You also have snow mode that recalibrates the throttle. This is helpful in very slick conditions. I really like the Infiniti AWD system. RWD when not losing traction, AWD when needed.
Gotcha...Kinda...When you say "traction control helps slow a spinning tire..." you mean the VDC? Hmmm....In that case they work together? So if I take the VDC out of the equation (OFF), and since the Gx has open diffs, there's nothing keeping the spinning tire from slowing down in order to transfer the torque to the tire with more traction?

I guess the best way to test it out is in the first snow fall...Can't wait! I'll probably not go all out like I do with the Subie Poor Subie. She's been thru a lot.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:19 AM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 10Gee37exeS
Gotcha...Kinda...When you say "traction control helps slow a spinning tire..." you mean the VDC? Hmmm....In that case they work together? So if I take the VDC out of the equation (OFF), and since the Gx has open diffs, there's nothing keeping the spinning tire from slowing down in order to transfer the torque to the tire with more traction?

I guess the best way to test it out is in the first snow fall...Can't wait! I'll probably not go all out like I do with the Subie Poor Subie. She's been thru a lot.

Turning off VDC turns off the traction and stability control systems.
Active Brake Limited Slip (ABLS), which is what you are referring to is always on. I believe that's the reason the slip light still blinks when VDC is off.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:39 PM
anestheticG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just came back from spinning around in the snow covered parking lot next door. I turned the wheel all the way on one side and gave her some gas doing some nice controlled spinning. I did this with A) VDC off and snow mode on, B) VDC off and snow mode off, C) VDC on and snow mode on.

It seemed there was one slight difference with A and B. The car lets you break it loose despite the "slippage light" coming on but with snow off you get more of a touchy/punchy gas pedal as I believe the snow mode is deadening the throttle response.

With VDC on as slippage occurs and the light is on giving the car gas will result in no power going to wheels. It will not allow you to sustain a continuous circular "burn/snowout." I also did this with snow mode off. The VDC still steps in and essentially cuts your power output.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.
The following users liked this post:
10Gee37exeS (12-15-2013)
Old 12-15-2013, 11:30 AM
10Gee37exeS

Originally Posted by anestheticG
I just came back from spinning around in the snow covered parking lot next door. I turned the wheel all the way on one side and gave her some gas doing some nice controlled spinning. I did this with A) VDC off and snow mode on, B) VDC off and snow mode off, C) VDC on and snow mode on.

It seemed there was one slight difference with A and B. The car lets you break it loose despite the "slippage light" coming on but with snow off you get more of a touchy/punchy gas pedal as I believe the snow mode is deadening the throttle response.

With VDC on as slippage occurs and the light is on giving the car gas will result in no power going to wheels. It will not allow you to sustain a continuous circular "burn/snowout." I also did this with snow mode off. The VDC still steps in and essentially cuts your power output.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.
Thanks! I just had some fun in the snow too! And used the same scenarios in an open parking lot as well and got the same results! I do have to say the Snow Mode works great. The car just goes when you give it gas. I just can't wait to get rid of these stock tires. They were the weakest link in the set-up. I think, once I change the tires I'll have more confidence in the car's handling. Thanks again.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Tcruarceri

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i recently installed General AS3s and had our first real snow fall yesterday. I had to use my 37x for some back road deliveries because as usual when it snows, my truck is dead. My interpretation of the snow mode was that it deadened throttle response (if i had to guess similiar to the way you lose half the throttle in eco on the m) and increased tranny lock up (more engine breaking, though i could be wrong because this car already has so much resistance when coasting). Also thought worth mentioning, i don't think the VDC is ever completely off, just less invasive with the button hit. I was really impressed with the grip as long as i acted like an adult. Couldn't find any safe open areas to play though, i'm jealous.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:48 PM
G37xS1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't remember where I read this, but if I remember correctly, I read that in Snow Mode not only does it deaden the throttle response but also starts the car on a 50/50 torque split from a stand still up to 12 mph and from that point allows the Intelligent All Wheel Drive system decide how to distribute torque as it usually does.

I also read that when not in Snow Mode, X models start off with 25/75 front/rear split off the line before quickly going back to 100% rear (and allowing Intelligent AWD decide what to do from there as usual)

Once again, I can't confirm this as I don't remember where I read this. I have a 2013 G37xS Coupe.
The following users liked this post:
Tcruarceri (01-08-2014)
Old 12-16-2013, 01:22 PM
buns
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm coming from the same car ( a 2004 WRX Wagon ) and just got to test the G37X in the snow the first time.
Had some snow the other day ( I don't know maybe 6 inches at most), and the car behaved nicely all around without any issues. I never pushed it to unsafe levels ( nor should you), as I only drove to and from work those days.
Car's on brand new General KDW all seasons, snow tires are a no go for me living in an apartment.
I still want to test it in a big empty parking lot next time it snows, so I can let it go a bit and see what happens when I lose traction.

Never had any issues with my WRX in the snow. Clearance was a little higher ( stock suspension), and the car was a little cheaper so I didn't mind plowing through snow banks...would definitely have to be a bit more careful now and not use the front bumper as a snow plow.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Darth Kinetic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
G37xs1 you read that right out of the owner manual. sly dog !
Old 12-17-2013, 11:56 AM
10Gee37exeS

Originally Posted by buns
I'm coming from the same car ( a 2004 WRX Wagon ) and just got to test the G37X in the snow the first time.
Had some snow the other day ( I don't know maybe 6 inches at most), and the car behaved nicely all around without any issues. I never pushed it to unsafe levels ( nor should you), as I only drove to and from work those days.
Car's on brand new General KDW all seasons, snow tires are a no go for me living in an apartment.
I still want to test it in a big empty parking lot next time it snows, so I can let it go a bit and see what happens when I lose traction.

Never had any issues with my WRX in the snow. Clearance was a little higher ( stock suspension), and the car was a little cheaper so I didn't mind plowing through snow banks...would definitely have to be a bit more careful now and not use the front bumper as a snow plow.
I totally hear ya about the WRX... have almost 200K miles on her and I drive her like I stole her in the snow. There's ntohing it can't got thru or I've tried going thru.