G37 Sedan

Performance in snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 03:14 PM
infinitiG37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have all season tires. It does ok in the snow.I notice when I get going in the snow it'll take off good and straight. Then after about 200 feet itll loose traction the back end gets lose and the car kinda wants to spins out.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Snow and ice all over the place today, and me driving my RWD 6MT with zero problems.

Because snowtires.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
rpm&my_G35 (12-15-2013), WannabeSport (12-12-2013)
Old 12-11-2013, 04:54 PM
ClickClackSmack

Received 65 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Snow and ice all over the place today, and me driving my RWD 6MT with zero problems.

Because snowtires.
This ^... Had all seasons last winter on my X sedan and it sucked in the snow. This year I have Blizzaks and the difference is amazing.
The following users liked this post:
WannabeSport (12-12-2013)
Old 12-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Blanko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ClickClackSmack
This ^... Had all seasons last winter on my X sedan and it sucked in the snow. This year I have Blizzaks and the difference is amazing.
I drive north almost every month (to N Ohio, Michigan etc) and was running stock summer sports on my 37S and almost got caught despite trying to plan for the weather. Eventually I did get caught in 3" in Dayton and made it off the interstate somehow. Luckily there was a tire shop at the exit - Cooper Tires and they were able to put on Zeon RS3-As. That was last winter and the tires have worked well - handle really good in summer. But with those summer potenzas even a 1/2" of snow is scary and they feel bricks in the cold. This winter I put on XI3s and have retained the Rs3As for the other seasons. The XI3s are superb and once you get used to them they handle really well on dry pavement - especially interstate driving. Now I'm not afraid of coming snowfalls.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Blanko
I drive north almost every month (to N Ohio, Michigan etc) and was running stock summer sports on my 37S and almost got caught despite trying to plan for the weather. Eventually I did get caught in 3" in Dayton and made it off the interstate somehow. Luckily there was a tire shop at the exit - Cooper Tires and they were able to put on Zeon RS3-As. That was last winter and the tires have worked well - handle really good in summer. But with those summer potenzas even a 1/2" of snow is scary and they feel bricks in the cold. This winter I put on XI3s and have retained the Rs3As for the other seasons. The XI3s are superb and once you get used to them they handle really well on dry pavement - especially interstate driving. Now I'm not afraid of coming snowfalls.
You were very lucky indeed. Even in near-freezing temperatures, 3-season tires start to slip on the turns. I can't imagine ever trying to drive on actual snow & ice with them.

Scary.
WannabeSport (12-12-2013)
Old 12-13-2013, 04:28 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Being up here in Buffalo and Toronto had caused me to,question running all seasons but with the winters in Memphis I'm still on the fence. I think my X will handle better than the RT Challenger I was driving during a lake effect storm but even the XTS I'm in now was a little squirrelly at times. Couple that with drivers in the South who have no concept of increasing following distances or speed in the ice and I feel like I need to be much more nimble. But without the snow or extreme cold am I just wasting my money on snow tires?
Old 12-13-2013, 11:18 AM
deadguy366

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in between Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta. Our average yearly snowfall amount is about 120cm. It's only a month and a half into winter and we've already surpassed that. This is a pic of the OEM performance all seasons I recently replaced with the cheapest winters that would fit on the stock 19'' wheel (Falken HS449). Needless to say, with zero tread left the OEM tires were scary, but surprisingly the awd almost made it driveable.

Now with the winters I'm basically unstoppable. Of course when stopping and turning on glare ice it is still easy to lose control, no tire or AWD system is advanced enough to allow you to make a turn on ice at an unsafe speed without a loss of control. It's surprising how many accident's happen in the winter due to people putting too much faith into their winter tires/AWD/4x4. I have a good laugh every time I see one of those people in the ditch. Even with awesome tires and technology driving BELOW the speed limit is often necessary due to the conditions... That being said, I absolutely destroy all 4x4 trucks when it comes to traction races leaving icy intersections

Name:  BAE7BEA0-349E-4FC5-8498-14E9ABBF0CFC_zpsrgrllpj6.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  99.2 KB
Old 12-13-2013, 11:44 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
I usually pass people on the freeway. My G37x with GOOD snowtires is pretty damn good on ice and snow... different tires perform differently on ice and you'd be surprised about how well a highly rated tire on ice performs against tires like your falkens which... aren't rated that good on ice...
Old 12-13-2013, 11:55 AM
Rochester
Administrator

The comment area in this AutoBlog post is hilarious. People actually think AWD and All-Season tires are the bomb, science be damned.

All-wheel-drive vehicle sales flourishing - Autoblog

There's one born every minute...
Old 12-13-2013, 01:31 PM
owslystnly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the past year or two I noticed that you could not get snow tires in the staggered OEM sizes for the 6MT sedan (on tirerack at least).

Just thought I'd inform everybody that I checked today, and the Michelin X-ice 3's are available in the OEM staggered setup. In case anybody cares.

(I got X-ice 2's in 2010 for the staggered setup. About time for new ones)
Old 12-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by owslystnly
For the past year or two I noticed that you could not get snow tires in the staggered OEM sizes for the 6MT sedan (on tirerack at least).

Just thought I'd inform everybody that I checked today, and the Michelin X-ice 3's are available in the OEM staggered setup. In case anybody cares.

(I got X-ice 2's in 2010 for the staggered setup. About time for new ones)
You can get snows for the 18" OEM staggered setup, but only the High Performance Blizzak LM-60. Although now that I'm into my second winter, I think the phrase "High Performance" is a bit of a stretch.

Still, good info, owslystnly.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Elohel

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Just put Nokian Haka R2's on my ride... this thing is UNSTOPPABLE in snow/ice/slush/apocalyptic storms. Props to Wannabesport for making Nokian tires known to me
WannabeSport (12-13-2013)
Old 12-13-2013, 03:02 PM
WannabeSport

Take a pic of them on your car! I am curious to see how they look on the G37!
Old 12-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Elohel

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
^ My car looks like *** with slush all over it, tiny 17" wheels, stock height, but sure haha, I'll take one when I go out to my car in a bit
Old 12-13-2013, 04:46 PM
WannabeSport

You will be fine haha. I like daily driver cars more than show cars anyways lol

I am weird though, a daily beaten stock car with 200k on it is more impressive to me than some car a half inch off the ground and tires stretched to unsafe levels.

Quick Reply: Performance in snow