G37 Sedan

Sedan Decal Placement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 12:47 AM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sedan Decal Placement?

Just curious where you guys put them on your sedans? I have two decals I wanted to put on (wounded warrior project, OIF veteran oval). I was thinking the rear quarter glass passenger and driver side?

O.I.F. Veteran Oval Decal by brigadebydesign
Amazon.com: Wounded Warrior Project Bumper Sticker wwp military decal 4.5" X 4.5": Automotive Amazon.com: Wounded Warrior Project Bumper Sticker wwp military decal 4.5" X 4.5": Automotive

Thanks for your input.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:39 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
IMO I think that the WOW would look good on the rear quarter glass on both sides (2 of them) and the OIF would look good on the lower corner of either the left or right side of the rear window.

Just a thought
Old 12-01-2013, 08:22 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Noble thought but........ I always see cars with decals down here and think it takes away from the image of the vehicles.(They are usually driven by kids) I think decals look clean on a lifted truck but these cars IMO just look better without. I thought about a VFW decal for my sedan then after placing it on with tape to see how it would look, I took it off. If you're really wanting to go with a decal stick it on with tape first. Then you'll KNOW what it will look like and if it doesn't suit you, you can change it without ruining the decals.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Oval is an awkward shape for a decal, whatever the content or location. If you're determined to do it, then I'd recommend on the glass, and not on the paint.

Rear window, center top, maybe?
Old 12-01-2013, 09:06 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by Rochester
Oval is an awkward shape for a decal, whatever the content or location. If you're determined to do it, then I'd recommend on the glass, and not on the paint.

Rear window, center top, maybe?
I agree, oval is an awkward shape to make it look right. Centered would propably be the best placement.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:21 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by warped ideas
Noble thought but........ I always see cars with decals down here and think it takes away from the image of the vehicles.(They are usually driven by kids) I think decals look clean on a lifted truck but these cars IMO just look better without. I thought about a VFW decal for my sedan then after placing it on with tape to see how it would look, I took it off. If you're really wanting to go with a decal stick it on with tape first. Then you'll KNOW what it will look like and if it doesn't suit you, you can change it without ruining the decals.
Agree. Decals are another "mod" that people use to personalize their vehicle. It completely depends on the vehicle with how the decals look. I decided to not put anything else on the G, even though my previous DD had the same personalized license plates and decals identifying my undergrad and grad schools. The G just looks better with no decals IMO...just like my Miata has nothing but a personalized license plate. Both of our trucks have a couple of decals- I'm not sure if the larger rear window real estate contributes to decals looking better on there or not.

Another idea- magnet decals. I love them b/c you can easily switch them in and out or take them off if I get tired of them. Much like how I use tow hitch covers on our trucks. They're seasonal- hockey/bball/baseball teams get put on "in season"
Old 12-01-2013, 09:45 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Yeah KEG97, I have a Browning decal center rear window of my F150 and a custom Hitch cover. Enough to Rep myself as a redneck but not over the top. G's are clean without the decals. My G sedan has a brushed steel Vossen plate cover but thats it in the way of "decals".
Old 12-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I think the custom decals that look good on a car are the ones that look OEM.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:53 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

A kid on my street has a clean 370Z that has OEM NISMO decals in the side rear windows. Looks good on his ride, tasteful and not over the top. His car has a ton of aftermarket nismo parts though so it kinda goes with the theme of his car.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll tape them first.

Trust me I've gone almost four years without decals on this car. I figured it was time for a change. If I'm not digging it I could always remove them.

There is a rectangle 3"x5" I was thinking about as well that I could put in the rear quarter glass instead. This one would have to be ordered the other two have been sitting on my coffee table for quite some time. I would put that one instead of the Iraq oval. It's our campaign ribbon.

Iraq Veteran Medal Rectangle Decal by evolveshop

LOL another reason I'd like to get an SUV someday.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Rochester
Administrator

A rectangular decal is only slightly less problematic than an oval one.

Have you considered finding or designing something small and tasteful? There's a whole world of vinyl cut options out there.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Rochester
Administrator

You know what else could help you with this project, this decal on your car itch? Google your location for a sign shop, or vinyl decal shop, they kind of overlap. Then go visit one or two. They'll probably be all low budget and artsy, like a head shop, but that can be fun.

It can maybe inspire you to some better ideas.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:47 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 230 Posts
I had the g35driver.com decals on my 04 in the rear window inserts and these looked really subtle and somewhat OEM. Rarely did anyone notice them. I now have the MyG37.com decals in the same spot on my 13' and I think they look too large; unfortunately, everyone notices them now. I have a photo in one of my albums if anyone is interested in commenting. Maybe I'm overthinking them too much...
Old 12-01-2013, 02:05 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
I had the g35driver.com decals on my 04 in the rear window inserts and these looked really subtle and somewhat OEM. Rarely did anyone notice them. I now have the MyG37.com decals in the same spot on my 13' and I think they look too large; unfortunately, everyone notices them now. I have a photo in one of my albums if anyone is interested in commenting. Maybe I'm overthinking them too much...
Not feeling the myg37.com decal. It is big, but then again I'm not big on identifying myself as a computer geek
Old 12-01-2013, 03:41 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
I went with two on mine:
"4DSC" on driver side rear quarter window (matte dark grey)
Shape of Long Island on the rear windshield, bottom right (white)

The former is very subtle and OEM looking, the latter kind of stands out, but I think it looks good and it's kind of an insider thing because outside of NY/NJ most people don't know what it is.

Decals on the paint is a big violation IMO, keep decals on the glass. Also nothing too complex or colorful, and also never anything political (no reason to instigate any of the immature idiots out there)

Quick Reply: Sedan Decal Placement?