G37 Sedan

Does anyone else find the sedan horribly plain looking?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 05:17 PM
solidsilver
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not quite getting the aversion to chrome, something I personally have always liked on cars - within reason. I like all the chrome on my G, especially the trim on the top trailing edge of the trunk. I wouldn't add any more to my car, but I wouldn't get rid of any either. Just say'n.....

To each his own, I guess.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:00 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by solidsilver
Not quite getting the aversion to chrome, something I personally have always liked on cars - within reason. I like all the chrome on my G, especially the trim on the top trailing edge of the trunk. I wouldn't add any more to my car, but I wouldn't get rid of any either. Just say'n.....

Certain colors look better w/ chrome IMO. The lighter colors like white and your Liquid Platinum are two examples that the chrome goes well. It's not a bad look on other colors but the darker colors black compliments it well, again, IMO.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:26 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 229 Posts
I agree that the chrome trim tends to look a little more subtle on the lighter colors like Liquid Platinum and Moonlight White. I also like the sport gunmetal spiderman wheels better on these colors as well. However, I don't think the chrome looks bad on the darker colors, but it does stand out more. Some may like this ?
Old 11-30-2013, 04:01 AM
Elohel

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Welp, I bought a loaded 2012 g37x sedan today. She has a lot of work needing to be done.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:49 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Elohel
Welp, I bought a loaded 2012 g37x sedan today. She has a lot of work needing to be done.
Congrats, what work needed to be done?
Old 11-30-2013, 11:33 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Very nice. Work as in mods you want to do?
Old 11-30-2013, 06:35 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by solidsilver

The chrome accents are typically related to classic or luxury styles.

A good portion of this community would probably consider themselves enthusiasts, I suspect this association also means they prefer sportier styles.

Sport packages and trims usually delete the chrome from the factory (//M-sport, RS, etc.), which is probably why midnight grilles, black window trim, etc is pretty popular on here

(Just a guess, but I've had similar thoughts to remove the chrome to establish a sportier look of my car)

EDIT: To my opinion of the OP, it's all relative. To an S4 or 335 sport, sure, the G sedan will look a little plain. Generally speaking of all cars on the road? I think the G sedan stands of reasonably well, but nothing really calls a tremendous amount of attention to it (unless a guido is driving it while weaving through traffic on the Belt Parkway )

The sport trim (esp 2010+) certainly makes the car more aggressive in the front. The sides are pretty bland, with no sharp creases or aggressive body lines. The rear is also not very common looking, with the model-defining taillights with circular LED brake lights being very distinct. The 2010+ also has a sharper "diffuser" on the bumper which helps.

Last edited by STownSaint; 11-30-2013 at 06:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by STownSaint:
Mik3G37S (11-30-2013), RexHavoc (12-01-2013)
Old 11-30-2013, 07:19 PM
Elohel

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Congrats, what work needed to be done?
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
Very nice. Work as in mods you want to do?
Yeah, work as in mods I want to do. It's completely stock and looks 98% brand new, CPO, so it's very solid. I think a sublte drop and some bigger wheels will be 80% of the improvement I want. I just don't understand why they put these tiny wheels on such a large sedan, it looks awkward IMO. Other than that, I am freaking loving this car. I thought I'd hate having an automatic but I'm having a blast scooting this thing around. Just wished the transmission was a little sportier with the shifts, but overall, very pleased with it
Old 11-30-2013, 07:30 PM
solidsilver
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
The chrome accents are typically related to classic or luxury styles.

A good portion of this community would probably consider themselves enthusiasts, I suspect this association also means they prefer sportier styles.

Sport packages and trims usually delete the chrome from the factory (//M-sport, RS, etc.), which is probably why midnight grilles, black window trim, etc is pretty popular on here
I think you're on to something there - it makes perfect sense.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:09 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
Completely agree. I kind of wish the sports packages for the G's came with the midnight black grille and the blacked out chrome window trim.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:14 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by My'09G37X
Completely agree. I kind of wish the sports packages for the G's came with the midnight black grille and the blacked out chrome window trim.
That makes us both...
Old 11-30-2013, 09:23 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

I would say me too but it wouldn't have helped... I'm trying to catch up with you S guys
The following users liked this post:
Mik3G37S (12-01-2013)
Old 12-01-2013, 08:28 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Chrome looks nice on the lighter colored G's, but as said above the darker colored G's look better with darker accents. (non-chrome) It seemed like chrome was the end all be all 5-10 years ago. Now it's all about the darker rims and brushed aluminum look. Thats what I see in S. FLA at least. I think the sedans come with just the right amount of chrome from the factory without making them look gaudy or over done. Just my thoughts.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:29 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Yeah, work as in mods I want to do. It's completely stock and looks 98% brand new, CPO, so it's very solid. I think a sublte drop and some bigger wheels will be 80% of the improvement I want. I just don't understand why they put these tiny wheels on such a large sedan, it looks awkward IMO. Other than that, I am freaking loving this car. I thought I'd hate having an automatic but I'm having a blast scooting this thing around. Just wished the transmission was a little sportier with the shifts, but overall, very pleased with it
I didn't mind the 17s until I put 18s on. Now I can't wait to get the 19s on! Second set is on the way to the powder coater now, hopefully won't be too much longer before I can get them on.

When I bought the car I had no desire for any mods... Then I found this site and saw what some of the folks have done. Ah well, I liked the car before (chrome and all) but I figured if I was going to do something I'd do what I thought would look good.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:32 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by warped ideas
Chrome looks nice on the lighter colored G's, but as said above the darker colored G's look better with darker accents. (non-chrome) It seemed like chrome was the end all be all 5-10 years ago. Now it's all about the darker rims and brushed aluminum look. Thats what I see in S. FLA at least. I think the sedans come with just the right amount of chrome from the factory without making them look gaudy or over done. Just my thoughts.
In Pittsburgh mostly what I saw were either half assed mods or projects that never quite got done. Here in Memphis I see a lot of "donks". I hear there's a pretty significant street scene but screaming down the highway racing someone who may or may not be able to drive isn't my thing. Did enough of that in Philly and Vineland back in the day. Anyway, a LOT of chrome and a lot of stick on parts has largely ruined chrome for me. If it isn't shiny it often gets ignored which is just fine with me.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else find the sedan horribly plain looking?