Will the RWD S sport-steering fit the XS or X sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 10:42 PM
Zoomerski
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will the RWD S sport-steering fit the XS or X sedan?

When I bought my 2012 G37XS I decided the X version would be the best overall choice because, I live in the snow belt, and I want to enjoy the G's impressive performance all year.
The limited number of S features that are included with the XS sedan did make my buying decision a bit easier.
However choosing the XS version was still a difficult choice because, 2009-2013 XS coupes and sedans are not equipped with the RWD S coupe's and S sedan's sport-tuned steering (ratios are (S)14.7:1 verses (X) 16.4:1). Now after 2 months of driving, I find myself craving the quicker steering ratio of the RWD S coupe/sedan.
Has anyone replaced the standard steering of the X coupe or sedan with the sport-tuned steering of the RWD S sedan or coupe or something similar?
So far, all my searches have be unsuccessful. Thanks for any thoughts or help with this situation.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:46 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
That's an interesting question, look forward to seeing the responses cause I sure have no idea.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:37 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
The difference in steering ratio really is surprisingly noticeable between the two. I never expected it to be that big of a deal, but really, it is a big deal.

Based on nothing but intuition, I suspect there's a reason why the AWD cars don't have this. And even if you were able to swap components, I suspect the cost in parts and installation would be crazy high, making the cost-2-value proposition somewhat untenable.

Good luck, OP.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Zoomerski
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
The difference in steering ratio really is surprisingly noticeable between the two. I never expected it to be that big of a deal, but really, it is a big deal.

Based on nothing but intuition, I suspect there's a reason why the AWD cars don't have this. And even if you were able to swap components, I suspect the cost in parts and installation would be crazy high, making the cost-2-value proposition somewhat untenable.

Good luck, OP.
Yes, I agree that difference between the sport and non-sport is significant and disappointing to me that it was not part of the XS package.
My limited comparison of steering racks appears to be only a different gear ratio and about a $150.00 price increase for the sport tuned steering rack.
If someone knows where I could find the dimensional figures for the different racks it would very helpful to determine if a swap of steering racks would be at least a mechanical possibility.

Thanks for your thoughts and help.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

You could probably start by making an inquiry at your local INFINITI dealership. There's likely at least one Senior Technician there who can explain why it is or isn't feasible.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:32 PM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I would take a look at the service manual to compare the difference between the two. There's a link on the main Sedan page.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:07 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Switching from the Sport to an xSport was like night and day. You don't really notice the difference and then you push the car and flog it a little. It punches you in the face it is so noticeable lol.

"My name is WannabeSport, and I am the president of the 'I regret buying an X' club."
The following users liked this post:
LilRocket (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 12:15 PM
10Gee37exeS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe the difference in steering is due to the AWD vs RWD. I don't "think" it's possible to fit the RWD S steering onto the AWD...the ratios probably affect the turning radius too; which the AWD will usually have a larger radius than a dedicated RWD vehicle. I could be wrong..it won't be the first!
Old 11-18-2013, 02:26 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
That is another thing I did notice when making the switch. This car takes a lot of road to make a u-turn...
Old 11-18-2013, 03:10 PM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
the xS coupes have the sport steering ratio. I am wondering if the components from the coupe would fit the sedan, along with the vlsd as well.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by AUR11
the xS coupes have the sport steering ratio.
Sure about that, are you? 2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe Specifications | Infinitihelp.com

And how exactly would a Viscous Limited Slip Differential coexist with an intelligent AWD system?
Old 11-18-2013, 05:26 PM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Sure about that, are you? 2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe Specifications | Infinitihelp.com

And how exactly would a Viscous Limited Slip Differential coexist with an intelligent AWD system?
no idea but it lists the vlsd as part of the sport package but not rwd only. and the steering ratio is the same I guess for all x's.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:03 AM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I drove an '09 xS Sedan for 4 years in all conditions including some deep snows. Took it up skiing a couple of times. IMHO you do not need an LSD with that car. Good traction in all circumstances.

There is some wrong information floating around on xS Coupes, to the point I am not positive which is correct. One story goes like this:

xS Sedan - "Sport Appearance" only, missing the handling suspension, quick-ratio steering, aluminum sub-frame, VLSD, Akibono brakes, etc. We know this to be correct.

xS Coupe - has most of the sport pieces, functional as well as cosmetic. No VLSD.

That counters what Rockford posted. I've now seen official-appearing documentation saying both ways. Guess we could go over and ask someone on the Coupe section who has an xS.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:26 AM
DeadlyWalrus

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AUR11
no idea but it lists the vlsd as part of the sport package but not rwd only. and the steering ratio is the same I guess for all x's.
Interestingly, if you page through the various model years, there is only one steering ratio listed for the 2011 sport package. It's only on the 2012+ models that there is a different ratio listed for the xS coupes.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:24 PM
bigalnash

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im currently looking into this my 2008 x sedan has a leak and the 07-14 sedan racks are the same... the parts are 100% plug n play.. the only problem is that there are about 15 different steering racks to choose from and at $1500 a piece its not exactly a trial and error situation.. but it is indeed POSSIBLE its a matter of finding the right rack.. and the rack with sport tuning seems like a dealer only part option as i cant find the right aftermarket replacement rack online... i will keep you updated on what i find out... its just confusing to find the exact part number i need

oh also the rack has to be from a sedan the coupes steering rack will not work!.... has anyone been able to do this or figure it out or am I the only one thats looked into it extensively?
The following users liked this post:
AUR11 (09-30-2015)

Quick Reply: Will the RWD S sport-steering fit the XS or X sedan?