G37 Sedan

Rattle Trap G37

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rattle Trap G37

Hey Guys,

Long time no post. Not a troll, longtime Nissan/Infiniti fan, however, my G37S Sedan with 28K miles is testing my limits.

Its a bonafide rattle trap. I admit that I have a low tolerance for rattles but damn this car is noisy. Others who will chime in will say..."Not me, got 30K and its silent.". I call BS. I've driven tons of loaners from my dealer...and they all sound the same. Heck, even my 09 had some of the same sounds as my 12. I just need to vent. So here they are.

1. Windshield Cowl - Pops a lot now that its chilly. Seemed to be fine in the summer but sometimes would randomly act up.

2. The whole plastic mess around the gearshift....if I take an aggressive turn the whole thing creaks. PLUS...there is some rattle that sounds like sizzling wires under the cup holder. Terrible. Thankful that rattle only happens occasionally.

3. Glove box...rattling from door. I fixed that one by adding some furniture feet pads to the frame of the glovebox, so when the door closes its a bit tighter.

4. Headliner - Pops/sticky sounds...sounds like velcro. Happens A LOT!

5. Armrest Lid. Going over bumps would cause it to rattle if I wasn't leaning on it. Sometimes I do actually drive with both hands on the wheel...haha. Fixed with a rubber washer where the factory rubber nipple was.

6. Rear Deck.....yea...its a mess. It rattles/vibrates. Its been there since new. If I wedge some foam in around the rear stop light (which ends up putting pressure on the whole tray/lid) it cleans up the sounds nicely...however, it looks way ghetto. Need to take something apart to do it right.

7. Passenger front seat - Clicking noise when driving over bumps.

All of this sucks big time. They Q50 loaner I drove for a few days was nearly silent (but wasn't perfect). I guess I can be OK with ALMOST perfect.

Maybe its me. Drove a friends 06 S500...heard some pretty nasty rattles. Rode in another friends Land Rover Discovery (Maybe 09 ish)....heard a few noises too. Our 12 Altima SR V6 is a rattle trap too. So was my 09 G37x and my 06 Altima SE-R.

Sometimes I'm surprised. Once had a loaner Grand Prix in Baltimore, don't remember the mileage but the car was likely newish and this was maybe around 2008. I swear we were driving on some of the worst roads and this thing didn't make a peep. I remember thinking at the time that my SE-R would have sounded like a rattle can over the same roads.

What gives? Am I too sensitive? Turn up the radio (I hate when folks say that)? Anyone else feel the same way?

I wanted to get a Q50S Hybrid when my lease is up but I just don't know if I can trust Infiniti to build a rattle free car. Even MT just wrapped up a long term QX60 (JX35) and while the interior is beautiful and high quality they commented about "Rattles have set in"....GRRRRRR.

I've tried a bit with the dealer but the whole process is a turn off. They look at you like you're a nag. You take them on a test drive. They can't really hear it...etc.

Flame away.

Mike S.
The following users liked this post:
surfwagon (11-15-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 10:32 AM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
I hate rattles as well and the G is known to have plenty of them unfortunately. I think a lot of it is related to the suspension design/low profile tires. The S has stiffer suspension, sways, and 18" rims with tires that have pretty stiff sidewalls. Before I had my G I had a Tundra with a 3" lift, 17" forged rims and 33" BFG AT KO tires (big knobby tires). Honestly my G feels very similar to the Tundra in terms of comfort over bumps and the G is stock lol. The stiff suspension combined with the low quality plastics they used in the G make it a rattle trap magnet.

My wife's accord on the other hand is almost dead silent, it's the premium trim level, but it also drives like a boat due to the 16" rims and soft suspension.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:34 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Our 07 and now our 09 both had the cowl and shift console rattles but that's it. Still very annoying though, sounds like a Styrofoam cup is being twisted in a tight space. Luckily the noise from my rear coilover mounts muffles out that noise for the most part and I just crank up the stereo a bit more. Not the best solution but one I can live with I suppose. I also have doubts about Infiniti being our next car, but for multiple reasons
Old 11-14-2013, 11:02 AM
dkmesa350z
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
haha I have noticed #1 this week since the temperatures dropped. the cowl creaks or pops at low speeds when I take an off kilter turn.

I only have one other noise from the rear driver side door pull that has a very quiet creak sometimes.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:19 AM
forrmark

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I have heard the cowl pop occasionally, but that is the only noise I've heard in my 2011 G37. I have no other complaints. I read many complaints in this forum about the 7 speed transmission, but mine has been fine for the two years I've owned the car. I recently drove a friend's Toyota Corolla and it took forever to move from rest. It made me appreciate my G even more.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I have relatively high miles on both my G's (71K on 09 sedan, (94K on 08 coupe). You are not wrong. My coupe in particular makes far more noise than any car should, especially a luxury brand. The sedan doesn't. Admittedly I don't drive it nearly as much since it's my wife's car, but the only noises I notice are the windshield cowl noise and a squeak/rattle of the arm rest/console lid if you rest your arm on it. That seems to have went away since the windshield was replaced recently. My coupe has tons of noises but in fairness some of them (not all) are likely the results of some of the mods I've done. Some are not though.

I'm going to listen more closely for noises in the sedan this weekend as we will be taking a trip and putting a lot of miles on it.

Infiniti needs to improve this are for certain.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:59 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Infiniti's tend to be squeaky toys. You just sort of live with it...
Old 11-14-2013, 01:03 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
I only hear an occasional rattle.
I never drive without the radio on
Just turn up the music and faa get about it.

Telcoman
Old 11-14-2013, 01:06 PM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 255 Likes on 201 Posts
I like my music with bass and when I listen to my music not so loud the right side mirror just rattles like crazy! Also the little thing by the inside door handle that you use to lock/ unlock the door also rattles like crazy. Those two things drive me insane!
Old 11-14-2013, 02:00 PM
dkmesa350z
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Vizard_87
I like my music with bass and when I listen to my music not so loud the right side mirror just rattles like crazy! Also the little thing by the inside door handle that you use to lock/ unlock the door also rattles like crazy. Those two things drive me insane!
Yes! the door handle lock is so annoying. I just want to squirt some super glue in there haha
Old 11-14-2013, 03:08 PM
37GBonB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oy.....I just bought a 2013 G37 2 weeks ago.....love it so far, but should I now have buyer's remorse? Or just buy earplugs?
Old 11-14-2013, 03:49 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
every car rattles after a few years

vibrations from driving cause parts to move around.

I have 50k on my 2011 and have very few rattles.

My bimmer rattles, my chevy truck rattles, and my wifes Cadillac rattles.
Its just part of a car getting older
The following users liked this post:
MACS (12-01-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 04:05 PM
37GBonB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
every car rattles after a few years

vibrations from driving cause parts to move around.

I have 50k on my 2011 and have very few rattles.

My bimmer rattles, my chevy truck rattles, and my wifes Cadillac rattles.
Its just part of a car getting older
What I figured. I did my research before buying and the reviews were for the most part, extremely favorable. Did not see any rattling comments, even on other user boards.

All cars eventually rattle....tho I may eventually rattle more than my G.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:37 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have owned my 2010 G37 since March of 2010 and put 30,000 miles on it.
I have no rattles or any other complaints about the car.

That is probably because I don't have the S model with the stiffer springs or the 18" tires.
Another reason could be that I live in SW Florida where it never gets that cold and the roads are in excellent shape.

I have had some cars that had rattles and even the slightest rattle or squeak drives me nuts.
If I did have problems, I can guarantee that I would post the complaints.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Sunny G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
My car has 22k miles on it and it has only 2 rattles.
1. the windsheild makes a popping noise sometime
2. The passenger seat squeaks against vibrates in turn making a squeak noise.

The seat vibration is annoying and im looking into putting some foam or something between the seat and the center console to make the noise go away.

Quick Reply: Rattle Trap G37