G37 Sedan

Consumer Reports does not recommend the Q50 and Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:36 AM
NeverEnough007

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
I personally think that they are sitting on a game changer and don't realize it. They have essentially created a high performance mid-size sedan that can hit sixty in roughly 5 seconds and get better than 30mpg on the highway. In addition, they are associated with a brand that is indicative of long term reliability.

Their marketing is just all wrong. Wrong to the point of they could become an MBA course on what not to do when you introduce messaging to extend an established product.

The commercials I see for the Q seem to focus either too much on technology/safety or are just plain odd with supermodels driving through the city.

Why not present the facts? 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, 31mpg city, based on a platform with over 10 years of proven reliability, consumers reports best buy 7 years in a row, etc, etc.

Sell the car as a midlife crisis that is secretively very practical as well (think Audi,the commercial where a Mom drops her kid off at horseback riding lessons in the country then tears off in a rooster tail).

As it stands now, it seems that their marketing is either tailored towards 20 somethings (most are not in the market for 40K+ sedans, regardless of how cheap a lease can be had) or older folks with more disposable income that are enamored by gadgets, but care little if the car is FWD or RWD and could care less how fast it gets to 60 (this crowd is very practical and stingy with their money and often drive value brands, such as Hyundai).

The marketing team at Infiniti need to sit down with a note pad and watch a BWM commercial or two.

"We only build one thing, the ultimate driving machine"

That statement says so much and consumes just 9 words. Every time I see one of their commercials, I ask myself, why don't I own one of these?

Maybe Infiniti can use the opportunity to answer that very question.
You are correct from a sales standpoint but, CR is reporting in the product itself, not its marketing potential.

The fact of the matter is, anyone who cares about performance knows that you can buy even an underpowered audi 2.0t and have a faster car (with the German perks and drawbacks) for about 2 grand in aftermarket goods.

I personally did not want to deal with the reliability issues of a German car out of warranty but, they are slowly winning me over. Why? The awd audi and bmw get manuals. The tuning potential with turbos is much greater. The paint is significantly harder which helps it look amazing for a long long time. the rear seat folds down (sounds silly to some but for me this was a huge drawback on the q50) vs the audi. I am dreading the cost of ownership on a used a4 or s4 but that is where I may land after the G unless things improve very quickly.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:58 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 284 Likes on 238 Posts
I'm 99% certain that the Q's Deluxe Touring Package includes 60/40 split-folding rear seats.

My take on the CR article is essentially that they were not impressed with the changes in both cars, which for the most part were cosmetic and non-essential technology adds.

Their concern over long term reliability is similar to mine. The more micro controllers/control loops you add, the more problems you introduce - it's inevitable. This has been a Gremlin the Germans have battled for decades.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:28 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
People need to stop with the reliability issues of the Germans from the 80s and early 90s. They are really not that bad anymore these days. Own one before making assumptions based on what you hear.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:25 PM
NeverEnough007

Originally Posted by sniper27
People need to stop with the reliability issues of the Germans from the 80s and early 90s. They are really not that bad anymore these days. Own one before making assumptions based on what you hear.
I have spent significant seat time 3 2010 bmw 335i awd with manual and one with manual/m sport. I also have spent a lot of seat time in the b8 s4. They both have major issues still. All 3 bmws had the same major problems, steering pump failure, fuel injector failure, fowled plugs, fuel pump failure. The S4 is very solid but the dsg tranny is showing signs of failure (common on the forums). Any one of these fixes out of warranty would have been a major expense. All three bmws had all of the problems listed within a year. We call it BMW roulette now. Hit 50k miles and trade it in for one with less miles. Otherwise, you are looking at paying thousands a year in repairs. I can go on with more real world issues but you can explore the forums yourself. The fact is, they are unreliable still and they prove this with their shortened warranty periods.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:27 PM
NeverEnough007

Further proof would be resale value of the m5 and 7 series. People won't touch them with a 10 foot pole. The 80s-90s were the golden years as far as reliability is concerned.
The following users liked this post:
Nothin2Somethin (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 12:56 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

I spend alot of time in the Bimmer forums creepin. Even the die hard Bimmer Fanbois agree that the cars have their share of reliability issues. Others have never had a problem outside of warranty repairs and count their blessings. One thing that's consistent is that that group seems to have accepted the tradeoffs required to get the most out of a small displacement, very efficient, high performance powertrain and they spend little time bashing the brand. I have alot of respect for them in that regard.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:08 PM
sniper27

While I agree there are some issues with the Germans and the high cost of maintenance and repairs, it is nothing that is going to break you. But having both Infiniti and Audi in the garage, I can say, at least in my experience, that the Infiniti is no economy car either. Maintenance and repairs can creep up equally. My Infiniti has been to the dealers for more issues than the Audi. The difference between the 2 is not significant IMO, and it is worth it for purely a more satisfying driving experience.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:14 PM
lightlypurified
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by IPL 370GT
At this point Infiniti needs a game changer. The next IPL needs a major step-up! I test drove two Q50's. One AWD premium and one Q50s. Was majorly disappointed with both. While the tech features are new and ahead of the curve.. That doesn't do it for me. The car felt sluggish and lacks excitement. Reminded me of a V6 Camry with cool technology.

they already released an ipl q60 basically a rebadged ipl g37.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:17 PM
vespaqueen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok kids, I am getting ready to buy an Infiniti in January. It will be a sedan, should it be a G or a Q? Let the comments begin!! What I buy will definitely be an Infinity. I am currently driving a Mini Cooper, so, you know how good it feels to drive a bigger engine! Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by vespaqueen
Ok kids, I am getting ready to buy an Infiniti in January. It will be a sedan, should it be a G or a Q? Let the comments begin!! What I buy will definitely be an Infinity. I am currently driving a Mini Cooper, so, you know how good it feels to drive a bigger engine! Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
Buy a 2014 G37 with the premium package. Replace the suspension, wheels and tires. Apply some simple visual mods (tint, wrap, etc.), and you will be way better off in terms of having a proven car at a fantastic value.

No BBK, LSD, sport steering or 6MT... but if that's important to you (it was to me), then you need something used, or another car entirely.
vespaqueen (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 01:39 PM
vespaqueen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Rochester. How about the sport package on the G37?
Old 10-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by vespaqueen
Thanks Rochester. How about the sport package on the G37?
2013 was the last year for the Sport Sedan. No more Sport Package, no more 6MT.
vespaqueen (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 01:50 PM
willvega

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by socketz67
I spend alot of time in the Bimmer forums creepin. Even the die hard Bimmer Fanbois agree that the cars have their share of reliability issues. Others have never had a problem outside of warranty repairs and count their blessings. One thing that's consistent is that that group seems to have accepted the tradeoffs required to get the most out of a small displacement, very efficient, high performance powertrain and they spend little time bashing the brand. I have alot of respect for them in that regard.
Something that I too have seen. I was at the North Texas BMW Dyno meet this past weekend. A few mins and a flash tune later my buddies 07 335i 100k pulled about 330WHP. +60HP for basically peanuts. Wasn't anything special as alot of the other guys were pulling similar numbers. N54 parts have gotten drastically cheaper as well. Pretty much killed my G mod bug lol

Last edited by willvega; 10-23-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:55 PM
sniper27

With the cost reduction of the G, you're better off with that over the Q, unless you want all the high techy stuff.
vespaqueen (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 02:16 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

I tend to agree with Rochester in that a 2014 G37 with Premium (if possible add the Performance tire and wheel package for $600 as the wheels and tires in that package are much better than the standard issue) may be a better value long term. That was my plan until I realized they were going to apply the same sticker discount to the 2013s, which meant I could then get s loaded sedan with the Sport package for 36k. My guess is that the 2014 G37 with Premium will be about 4k below that number, which ends up being a smoking deal for a luxury performance sedan.
vespaqueen (10-23-2013)

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports does not recommend the Q50 and Lexus IS