G37 Sedan

Undercarriage rust in 2010 from FL?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 12:46 PM
AuthorizedUser
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Undercarriage rust in 2010 from FL?

I am looking at two G37S sedans, both just off-lease from Florida. (I am in north Texas.)

One has about 30K miles and has a super clean undercarriage. The other has 40K miles and has rust spots all over the exhaust. Also, bolts and other exposed parts show surface rust. I didn't take a picture (argh), but the rust spots look like the early stages of a rotted out exhaust.

Inside, the rust-free 30K one has a funny odor that I can't put my hands on, but the 40K one with rust spots smells clean.

Other than the rust, both cars are clean. Both have clean Carfaxes.

Is it normal that a Florida G37 would show this kind of rust, or does that indicate a larger problem?
Old 10-05-2013, 03:12 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by AuthorizedUser

Is it normal that a Florida G37 would show this kind of rust, or does that indicate a larger problem?
Is all that rust normal?

I don't think so! Some parts of Florida had very heavy rain and local flooding.

I am looking at two G37S sedans, both just off-lease from Florida. (I am in north Texas.)

One has about 30K miles and has a super clean undercarriage. The other has 40K miles and has rust spots all over the exhaust. Also, bolts and other exposed parts show surface rust.
You don't mention what year or price but I would take the lower mileage one to be inspected by an Infiniti dealer and also have them run the VIN number. They could also tell you if the vehicle has ever been in an accident. Use any discoveries to negotiate a lower price or just pass on it if there are any discovered surprises.

both have clean Carfaxes.
Means nothing. Not everything gets reported.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:14 PM
pricojorge

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
could be that the car was veryy close to the beach area, with all that salt ...
Old 10-05-2013, 06:15 PM
AuthorizedUser
Registered Member

Originally Posted by telcoman
You don't mention what year or price
They are both 2010.

This is the one with 33.7K miles, asking $25.9K: 2010 Infiniti G37 Sedan Sport Garland, Texas | Certified Carland Llc. Underside was very clean. Problems include:
  • Engine seemed to be a little rough on cold start.
  • Lots of road noise at regular speeds (only got up to arond 50). Not sure if it's because of tires (Hankook Ventus V4 ES) or something else.
  • Off smell in interior, but wasn't cigarette smoke or must.
This is the one with 39.5K miles, asking $24K, with moderate corrosion on the exhaust system and light surface corrosion apparent on other metal parts, like exposed bolts or nuts: 2010 Infiniti G37s Sedan Sport Garland, Texas | Certified Carland Llc. Everything about this one seemed "right" except for the rust. It seemed to be cleaner overall, no smells, good road noise levels. I forget the tires, but they weren't Hankooks. I was rushed and wasn't able to get pictures.

Carfax suggests both cars lived out their leases in Florida.

Originally Posted by telcoman
[Carfax] Means nothing. Not everything gets reported.
Correct. I see it as just an initial indication.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:18 PM
AuthorizedUser
Registered Member

Originally Posted by pricojorge
could be that the car was veryy close to the beach area, with all that salt ...
That's what I wonder. I imagine the exhaust will be fine for a while to come but may need premature entire replacement. The difference between the undercarriages of the corroded one and a nearby one, both virtually identical G37S cars from Florida, were night and day.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:38 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
I think i would stay clear of the one with rust. who knows what your getting with that can of rusty worms just my 2 cents
Old 10-05-2013, 10:41 PM
chopper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the car was driven and parked close to the beach, it wouldn't be unusual for it to have MILD surface rust on the undercarriage and exhaust. I lived in Ft Walton Beach for 6 years and parked my Corvette in an open carport. Every morning I could see the surface rust on the brake discs just from sitting overnight in the salt fog. Surface rust is common from the ever-present night fog rolling in from the Gulf or Atlantic (depending on which side of the state the car was on). If it was driven on the beach or on beachfront roads, the rust will be worse. It's also possible that the car was a flood victim. Check inside the cabin and trunk, especially under the carpets and trunk mats for any evidence of rust. If there is any, run, don't walk away. Also check to see if any of the interior parts, such as seats, carpets, door panels or audio systems, have been replaced with "fancier" after-market parts. It's not unusual for dealers to replace those damaged items on flood cars and then try to explain the new parts as "upgrades". Also, most folks assume that a car that's been flooded will have a tell-tale mildew smell. That's not necessarily so; I know two folks who unfortunately bought flood cars that had no odor at all until a couple of weeks after purchase. Bottom line: rust is never good and the buyer will usually end up paying for it later on. IMHO, the difference between a G37 with 30k miles vs. one with 40k miles is probably not a significant issue. A rusted undercarriage is.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:14 PM
NeverEnough007

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Being from texas, he prob sees a little discoloration as a lot of rust. Bringing my above average cars to Miami and they always can tell it is a northeast car because the rust is much heavier. So the "rust" may not be a big deal. As others have said, water pools up fast on rainy days.

A few things to check:

As stated under the trunk pad.

The rear seat cushion pulls up by pulling a clip from under the seat. Pull that out anc check for previouse water logging, rust, smell.

Check the front seat brackets. There should be no rust in a car that young.

See if there is evidence of significant dirty wated behind the battery and brake master covers.

You can get creative by looking in spots that most places wouldnt clean up very well but the 10k miles is not a huge deal. Just figure out what options/colors you like best.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:22 PM
AuthorizedUser
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NeverEnough007
Being from texas, he prob sees a little discoloration as a lot of rust. Bringing my above average cars to Miami and they always can tell it is a northeast car because the rust is much heavier. So the "rust" may not be a big deal. As others have said, water pools up fast on rainy days.
There was light surface rust on a lot of components, like random bolts or on metal surfaces of the rear diff. That didn't concern me. What I didn't like was the pitting rust all over the exhaust system, especially on the pipes.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:16 PM
NeverEnough007

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmm, pitting is not a good sign depending on depth. When it starts getting bad it will flake off in chunks.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:31 PM
AuthorizedUser
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NeverEnough007
Hmmm, pitting is not a good sign depending on depth. When it starts getting bad it will flake off in chunks.
Yup, the service life of the exhaust system on this car is considerably reduced. It's more than just surface rust. Everywhere else I think would be fine despite the surface rust.

The car lived in Fort Lauderdale, FL apparently. Wouldn't surprise me if was near the Atlantic much of the time.