G37 Sedan

2014 Infiniti Q50S Hybrid - Car and Driver

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 06:03 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 234 Posts
2014 Infiniti Q50S Hybrid - Car and Driver

Forgive me if this has already been posted/discussed as I could not find anything using the search: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...id-test-review

Sarcastic, but good writing nonetheless.

"Lows: Robots hold you hostage"

"Perhaps it was the ghost of the original Infiniti G35, the first seriously frisky sports sedan out of Japan to challenge German hegemony in the segment, that spoke to us via the Ouija, saying the Q50’s copper contentis too high."

“Systems administrators are welcome, but drivers should hang onto their old Gs and save on the extra copper.”

As a NISMO Fanboy myself, I think it’s biggest challenge will be this…“The Q50 hybrid begins at $44,855 and hits $50,000 quicker thanits 13.8-second quarter-mile run.”

When you consider that with the reduced MSRP on the G37, you can get a loaded model for right around 36K. Of course this one, while lacking some of the refinement (note they said the interior was library quiet at 65mph, not the case in the G)and sheet metal of the Q, maintains the same exact base platform (motor, suspension, trannie, steering rack, etc.).

Infiniti would argue back that the 3.7-liter VQ37VHR is an aggressively tuned, naturally aspirated beast built to withstand up to 1,000HP, so why change the formula? However, by pricing the Q with similar options so much higher than the G, I think they have punctuated the G’s legacy as one of the best RWD performance “values” in existence.

Many have argued that Infiniti should use forced induction on the Q and try to be more German by using a smaller displacement, lower compression, direct injection, more efficient turbo charged motor, but in doing so, they may compromise their image for bulletproof reliability – so Iunderstand the quandary they are in...

Instead, they are focusing on the future of tech: Moving Object Detection, Distance Control Assist, Blind-Spot Intervention, Backup Collision Intervention, Forward Collision Warning, Predictive Forward Collision Warning, Forward Emergency Braking, and Lane Departure Prevention with ActiveLane Control.

But that’s not what built the Infiniti brand back up from ashes when they were dying in the early 2000s.

Raw performance for the dollar with excellent reliability….but we’ll see what the next chapter has in store.

What scares me is that I have yet to see the first Q on theroad here in San Diego.

Last edited by socketz67; 10-02-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:48 PM
keraxis

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Fixes to lineup should have been

$36000. 3.7 liter direct and port injection better flowing exhaust 350hp. $42000. Diesel hybrid with 2.3 liter 180hp and 300trq.
$50000. Infiniti G37R 3.7 liter slighly lower compression supercharged with direct and port injection same as above 3.7 base 430hp with 330trq.

The diesel combo will net a combined 33mpg..

Boom you have life back in your company. I thought about a 3.7 vq stroked to 4 liters but you cant show up the gtr so this is a better option.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:15 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 255 Posts
I do like the looks of the Q50, better than the G overall, but nothing else really draws me to it.

Considering how low the price got for the G37, it wasn't even a second thought to buy mine. Not to beat a dead horse but the lack of MT would've sealed the deal if there was a decision to be made...

Infiniti is making it tough to justify the Q's price, esp when dealers are likely to stay firm on price. But many will be drawn to the refinement, tech, and updated look, which is likely the less performance-minded crowd i.e. the vast majority of Infiniti's market

OP I agree it's a little weird that I haven't seen a single Q50 on the road yet, esp since I work in a major city and live in a nicer suberb.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Just got my Nov issue of C & D and they tested the Q50s (with 19 inch wheels with summer tire, firmer suspension tune and larger brakes) and the trashing continues although this one was also with the electronic steering crap. Why Infiniti seems to be cutting thier own throats with providing driver oriented mags like C & D with vehicles that have steer by wire is beyond me. This car has been a disaster marketing wise.

One good little snippet from the article. "Where once romped a lively four door now goes a rolling flea circus of driver reduction technology that tries but ultimately fails to simulate all that was good about it's predecessor" C & D do have a way with words. One other little blurb from a tester's notes. "This car suffered a rare skidpad spinout. The steering is atrocious"

As for the Q50 targeting a different market who are more luxury minded, not when a Q50s with all those tech features and the nav package retails at almost $52K. At that price point buyers will not be spending that much for an Infiniti, they'll be going German simply for status. Not to mention there seems to be lots of complaints online about tech bugs abounding everywhere with new owners. So the 2 pillars of the G37's success, performance and reliability, have both been overlooked and Infiniti thinks this will increase sales. Yikes.

I have also seen only one on the road and I live in a major city. Went to my dealer last week for an oil change and there were quite a few on the lot and the salesman I talked to said they were selling "ok" which in salesman talk means not very well. This car is shaping up to be a quite a failure which which is the last thing Infiniti needs for it's flagship sedan. If they provide reviewers next year with steer by wire for the coupe then they deserve what they get.

Has there been any reviews on the Q50 with a real steering column because I haven't read any. It can't be much better or infiniti would have provided more test vehicles for review.

Who would have thought that with both BMW and Infiniti offering such uninspiring and numb rides with thier new models that a Lexus ends up being the driver's car of the group. Think about that, a freaking Toyota is the most engaging ride. Never woulda thunk it.

Last edited by Yosemite Dan; 10-02-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:04 AM
DONTTASEMEBRO

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The Q got trashed top to bottom, i guess it makes sense since there wasnt any major mechanical improvements to the car.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:29 AM
Yosemite Dan

Sales figures for the Q50 shows more than a 25% drop from Aug to Sept once you factor in that Sept figures were based on a full month and Aug was only 3 weeks. Not a good sign from a car that just came out and it's also getting easily beaten by the Lexus IS which seems to have taken over the title of driver's car but somehow that doesn't translate to sales according to some people. Looks like Lexus is disproving that quite easily and Infiniti is proving that tech crazy cars don't sell in this market.

It would be rather ironic that the G35 saved Infiniti but the supposedly superior successor in the Q50 may bring it back down to what Infiniti was pre-G35 which would be a non-factor.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:59 AM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Lol I live in LA and I have only seen 2 Q50s so far. Oh wait, they were both at the G sedan meet this past weekend.

The one car I do see alot these days is the Tesla Model S.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:49 AM
808MIKE

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Infiniti Really Dropped the ball on this new Q....It's Ugly to me...Too Many Tech BS! And the Price is Ridiculos! All the things the G sedan was known for kinda took a backseat to all this Tech BS! I would never pay close to $60K for a Infiniti..It's close to M Pricing now..And this is the Affordable Model? What's the M going to sell for $70-80K? BS! Rather Grab a Bimmer or Audi for that Kine Price...Or get a Cobra Stang for that Price! I live on an Island(Hawaii) ....And I never see 1 new Q yet when I'm out... Alott of G..No Q's...ANd the Dealer keeps carling my Cell and Work..trying to get me in there to look or trade my G! I'll never trade my G for a Q! Infiniti Lost alot of Customer looking for the Reliable...Performace...And Reasonable priced Sport Sedan! the new Q Sucks!!! Just like all the Mags are saying!
Old 10-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Yosemite Dan

Originally Posted by 808MIKE
Infiniti Really Dropped the ball on this new Q....It's Ugly to me...Too Many Tech BS! And the Price is Ridiculos! All the things the G sedan was known for kinda took a backseat to all this Tech BS! I would never pay close to $60K for a Infiniti..It's close to M Pricing now..And this is the Affordable Model? What's the M going to sell for $70-80K? BS! Rather Grab a Bimmer or Audi for that Kine Price...Or get a Cobra Stang for that Price! I live on an Island(Hawaii) ....And I never see 1 new Q yet when I'm out... Alott of G..No Q's...ANd the Dealer keeps carling my Cell and Work..trying to get me in there to look or trade my G! I'll never trade my G for a Q! Infiniti Lost alot of Customer looking for the Reliable...Performace...And Reasonable priced Sport Sedan! the new Q Sucks!!! Just like all the Mags are saying!
I'm getting the same calls and quite a few emails saying trade in your G for the Q. No thank you. There is nothing about the Q that I would want over my G. Could care less about the tech, all that means is more things to malfunction which appears to be the case. No desire to have an Ipad on wheels and those run flat tires is the stupidest decision they ever made. Yeah I could change my tires right away but with a 50K sedan I shouldn't have to pay for new rubbber right from the get go. I prefer the look of the G, more classy as opposed to that Q front end which just looks too boy racer to me and is trying too hard to be noticed. And a rear end that takes more styling cues from a Sonata than the G37. Unbelievably stupid.

If i change, the IS 350 is looking to be at the top of the list right now because it seems to be what the next G should have been. Reliable and fun to drive. The IS350 front end may be polarizing but the car still looks upscale to me and still has a flowing look to it, the Q doesn't. It's just a mishmash of styles that makes it look too busy.

It's funny that new Q owners on thier forums are discounting all the negative reviews saying all these reviewers of these car mags don't even know about cars and they have a grudge against Infiniti (why I don't know, especially when mags like C & D have been trashing the 3 series for months and that was a car they used to worship) yet they gush over the very few positive reviews from obscure sites and if you read those, they are the most vague reviews and sounds like the writer took the car out for 10 minutes.

Changing the name was a big mistake too. It may seem minor to some but you lose a lot of the casual customers this way because there is no history to the car and people are hesitant to buy cars they can't identify with. Although the G didn't have the status of BMW it still did have some status and they threw that familiarity, which should be a strength, right out of the window. And to top it off they gave it a designation that's very forgettable.

Q50: "huh, who makes it? Audi?, what is it, an SUV?".

New G37: "oh that's the new Infiniti luxury car that doesn't cost you an arm and leg to fix, worth checking out".

Last edited by Yosemite Dan; 10-03-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:04 AM
DONTTASEMEBRO

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
it's ironic how before BMW and Infiniti were mostly chosen for the driving experience and now they both are trying to make more comfortable cars they lost that sting in joy to drive department. On the other hand Lexus is pulling out all the stops.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Yosemite Dan

Originally Posted by DONTTASEMEBRO
it's ironic how before BMW and Infiniti were mostly chosen for the driving experience and now they both are trying to make more comfortable cars they lost that sting in joy to drive department. On the other hand Lexus is pulling out all the stops.
Yeah it seems Lexus read the market correctly and its paying off. BMW will always sell in this segment regardless of what they churn out simply because of the name and status. Infiniti.....well I don't what they thought except they need a new marketing dept because they fumbled the ball with the Q50. I guess its a Nissan thing because they did the same with the Maxima in 2004 and still haven't recovered the market from that debacle because an Altima was basically the same car at a cheaper price. Even now the sales that are lost to the Germans and Lexus will be further cannabilzed as people who want to stick with Nissan can find the Maxima at a much lower price than a Q50 that drives pretty much the same.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:06 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan
Yeah it seems Lexus read the market correctly and its paying off. BMW will always sell in this segment regardless of what they churn out simply because of the name and status. Infiniti.....well I don't what they thought except they need a new marketing dept because they fumbled the ball with the Q50. I guess its a Nissan thing because they did the same with the Maxima in 2004 and still haven't recovered the market from that debacle because an Altima was basically the same car at a cheaper price. Even now the sales that are lost to the Germans and Lexus will be further cannabilzed as people who want to stick with Nissan can find the Maxima at a much lower price than a Q50 that drives pretty much the same.
true, across all manufacturers and vehicles the cars drive "pretty" much the same, until they are pushed. That is when the cream rises to the top.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:22 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 234 Posts
I tend to like the look of the Q and think that it's more homogenous along the lines of other next-gen platforms. The nose on the IS, like the TL tends to look too overly designed for my taste - but it's growing on me and I am seeing alot of these on the road here in Socal.

Aside from the name change, I think where Infiniti lost their bearing on the Q is with the price structure. It's essentially a nice car, but when you factor in pricing, there are alot of other models out there to shop. The G didn't really have that problem as it was an excellent performance value out of the gate, so reviews tended to forgive some of it's shortcomings based on refinement. Perhaps when the new Gs come out and they are base vanilla models for 32Kish, then you see a Q next to it for 40ish, it may make more sense. However, with loaded 2013 Gs on the lot being blown out for a song, the Q just seems over-priced.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:54 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
I tend to like the look of the Q and think that it's more homogenous along the lines of other next-gen platforms. The nose on the IS, like the TL tends to look too overly designed for my taste - but it's growing on me and I am seeing alot of these on the road here in Socal.

Aside from the name change, I think where Infiniti lost their bearing on the Q is with the price structure. It's essentially a nice car, but when you factor in pricing, there are alot of other models out there to shop. The G didn't really have that problem as it was an excellent performance value out of the gate, so reviews tended to forgive some of it's shortcomings based on refinement. Perhaps when the new Gs come out and they are base vanilla models for 32Kish, then you see a Q next to it for 40ish, it may make more sense. However, with loaded 2013 Gs on the lot being blown out for a song, the Q just seems over-priced.
Every manufacturer has the same issue when a new model is released. They must discount the old models to sell them from inventory. However, the base price of the Q is not really much higher than the outgoing G.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:05 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
Every manufacturer has the same issue when a new model is released. They must discount the old models to sell them from inventory. However, the base price of the Q is not really much higher than the outgoing G.
It is, but of course when people like the car, they will quote the price from the stripper model. If not then they justify their reasoning by picking the price of a loaded one. For example, all quotes for the CLA AMG is 49K with possible dealer discount!
As for the Q50, I would just forgo the electronic steering and land departure warning stuffs and get a better car then the G for not much more money.

Quick Reply: 2014 Infiniti Q50S Hybrid - Car and Driver