G37 Sedan

dotmichaels 6mt thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 11:34 PM
dotmichael
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
dotmichaels 6mt thread

Thought it was time to make one of these just to track my progress with my car.

This is my first brand new car, leased from Circle Infiniti in Long Branch, NJ. They got me into it with no signer (relatively weak history but 760 score) @$2k and 329 a month. Would've been 319 had I not rolled half the wheel and tire protection into the payment.

This is number 15 and as you see in my sig I have a varied taste in cars. When it came to getting into something new it had to meet certain requirements that some other contenders were lacking and after test driving something like 20 cars from the newest civic si to an 05 zhp 330 bimmer I knew it had to be special. I always had a soft spot for the G but with it being out so long I didnt know if the body style would stay current enough for me throughout the life of the lease...the morning I got into this I was actually preapproved through Cadillac for their new ATS and had the Infiniti dealership been on the other side of the highway I might not be posting here...I wanted a sport sedan and Acura wasnt willing to even talk to me about their AWD 6MT TL so when I realized I could probably get a steal with the Q coming out I pounced.

Even boring background...here are some photos up to this week. I wont bore you with stock photos but mods are as follows:

Plastidipped all the things. Pulled the wheels this week...I had purchased four cans of anthracite (and waited almost a month ) but only used two as I thought it would dry differently...end result was an ugly (IMO) grey that didnt reaaaaalllllly go with the car but was OK for the month I had it done.

Topspeed Y back -- I've commented on this a few times and I just wish it was 15% louder otherwise good stuff especially for the price.

Eibach prokit -- did the rear myself (5 min a side?) and just couldnt get one of the 19mm bolts off the front so paid a shop a buck to do it.

Diode dynamics full interior LED as well as their license plate lights. OK stuff, kinda would prefer a bit less blue but its nice nevertheless.

Lamin-X headlight/fogs "tint" color - I am one that haaaaates tinted heads/tails because they look so tacky to me on anything other than a 3 or 5 series but when I saw how light the tint color was I thought I could pull it off on the front and it looks amazing to me...the shop that did it botched it the first time and the edges arent perfect this time around but for what was initially $100 (later refunded in full) I'm satisfied.

I'm trying to focus more on other things in life right now so I wont be putting much more into it -- I'd love an intake for sure and maybe sway bars but that should wrap it up...maybe a set of wheels come spring. On the fence about blacking out the chrome fog and window trim - I've gotta say with the plastidip off the wheels it does look sharp.

I've put 6500 miles on it already (about 300/month more than scheduled) but I just cant stop driving it. I previously managed an exotic car rental and have been behind the wheel of numerous bulls and horses but there's just something about this car that gets better the harder you push it that just cant be done in other 400+ cars.

Ran my second time at Raceway Park in Englishtown last night for my 4th and 5th runs (ever) with a best time of 13.799@102.63 leaving around 4k with a 2.139 60' foot. You cant heat the tires up but I think lowering helped the wheel hop tremendously.

At this point (and feel free to leave your input) I'm not sure if I'll buy it out -- I think i'm right around $30k in 4/15 if I choose to purchase it but I'm worried similar cars will be way into the 20s given that the Q is out. On the other hand there will be no 6mt anymore so is it possible for the value to stay flat? I want a P car or a turbo bimmer (few running 12.2-12.6 with minimal mods last night) or maybe even a truck finally (Jeep brah).

This is longer than I expected already and I'm tired but I'll be sure to update with pertinent info as time goes by...

Attached Thumbnails dotmichaels 6mt thread-photo-4-2-.jpg   dotmichaels 6mt thread-photo-4-1-.jpg   dotmichaels 6mt thread-photo-2-1-.jpg   dotmichaels 6mt thread-photo-5-2-.jpg   dotmichaels 6mt thread-photo-4-2-.jpg  

Old 09-26-2013, 11:36 PM
dotmichael
Banned

Few more...
Attached Thumbnails dotmichaels 6mt thread-photo-1-2-.jpg   dotmichaels 6mt thread-photo-1-1-.jpg   dotmichaels 6mt thread-photo-3-2-.jpg   dotmichaels 6mt thread-photo-5-2-.jpg   dotmichaels 6mt thread-photo-3-1-.jpg  

Old 09-26-2013, 11:41 PM
dotmichael
Banned

I needed to go a can per wheel and not two on all four but now I'm either going a very dark purple ( custom if I can figure out the right combo) or orange for fall but I'm not hating the beautiful stock wheels color (the wheels themselves...)

Shot of the loaner too (dealer "washed" my car and ended up getting a "detail" out of it...needless to say they're gonna "blackbetty" me and never do that again -- I gotta say much to my dismay I think the auto is quicker - it seriously bites when you punch it from a go but man does it ever understeer.
Attached Thumbnails dotmichaels 6mt thread-now.jpg   dotmichaels 6mt thread-photo-5-1-.jpg  
Old 09-26-2013, 11:43 PM
dotmichael
Banned

No I dont believe in front plates. Yes I do want to paint my calipers black and yes I do lust lust lust lust lust lust for the OEM lip and am so saddened that the price has gone up a bit and that it requires drilling because I'd love to sell that off when the time comes to turn in but alas I'm gonna have to eat that one
Old 09-26-2013, 11:59 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Looking pretty good Michael, seems like you're doing a lot of reversible mods due to the lease so you've got to be a bit creative. I prefer painted headlights/taillights compared to the tinted film but in your situation that's a perfect solution.
Interested to see what your custom dipped wheels look like, if nothing else it's easy to remove if it detracts too much from the rest of your car. Liking the interior LEDs, classy touch. Nice to see guys on a lease not just leaving their cars untouched, kudos for that

Sounds like you made some solid improvements on your track times too
Old 09-27-2013, 12:20 AM
dotmichael
Banned

I made mention of what parameters Infiniti will allow you to turn your lease in on in a turn-in thread recently but the service manager told me so long as the car is whole it wont be a problem and I shant get charged.

I think thats BS because I'm sure they would wholesale my car and would charge me to change it back to stock height (I think springs and labor are north of $1k but so if I had to turn it in tomorrow I could have it back to stock in 3 hours flat most likely.

haha yeah I'm not sure theyre in order but I noticed if I pay attention to my car and not whats going on I run much, much better

scroll up a bit for the pictures of two cans of anthracite plastidipped wheels.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:45 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
You need jsolo's clutch pedal spring mod. Best $20 you'll ever spend on your 6MT.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:51 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by dotmichael
I gotta say much to my dismay I think the auto is quicker - it seriously bites when you punch it from a go but man does it ever understeer.
The AWD really does launch effortlessly and efficiently, but it quickly gets boring.

And not for nothing, but you car understeers, too. To that point, you would be amazed how well aftermarket sway bars fix that little problem.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:09 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
fun updates! i always love reviewing my 1/4 mile tracks stats. R/T got you against that Genesis. but then you got paid paid back with the Shelby who must have fallen asleep. getting that R/T down to .1-.3 on a consistent basis will turn a lot of losses into wins. cheapest mod ever!