G37 Sedan

People always complain about the stealership...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:23 AM
hinomura

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
People always complain about the stealership...

And rightly so, but I did want to take the time to commend good dealerships as well because they do exist. Yesterday I had to take my 6MT in to the shop because my 5th gear started grinding. It would happen maybe once every couple of months so I never thought much about it, but 2 days ago it happened about 5-6 times; almost every other time I shifted into 5th. I dropped the car off and they said they couldn't find any issues, but instead of being dismissive Jordan (my service rep, fantastic fellow, has always done me right) asked me if I could come in during lunch and try to recreate it for them. I went there for lunch, drove a service technician around, and showed him how the gear was grinding. He then recommended that the whole transmission be replaced. So next Thursday or Friday I will have my baby back, hopefully none the worse for wear. I was very apprehensive at first because this would have been warranty work and I kind of halfway expected them to try to weasel their way out of doing the right thing, but there was no confrontation, no escalation, just a diagnosis, a solution, and a time to come pick up my car. I just want to say that good dealerships do exist like Nalley Infiniti in Decatur, GA and that there are people like Jordan who genuinely try to take their customers.

On a side note does anyone know if this new transmission is "new new" or will it be one of those factory refurbished ones?

TL;DR - 5th gear itself or synchro going bad. Nalley Infiniti in Decatur, GA covered it under warranty no questions asked. (Avoid Infiniti of Gwinnett, I don't like them fools.)
Old 09-20-2013, 09:44 AM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by hinomura
And rightly so, but I did want to take the time to commend good dealerships as well because they do exist. Yesterday I had to take my 6MT in to the shop because my 5th gear started grinding. It would happen maybe once every couple of months so I never thought much about it, but 2 days ago it happened about 5-6 times; almost every other time I shifted into 5th. I dropped the car off and they said they couldn't find any issues, but instead of being dismissive Jordan (my service rep, fantastic fellow, has always done me right) asked me if I could come in during lunch and try to recreate it for them. I went there for lunch, drove a service technician around, and showed him how the gear was grinding. He then recommended that the whole transmission be replaced. So next Thursday or Friday I will have my baby back, hopefully none the worse for wear. I was very apprehensive at first because this would have been warranty work and I kind of halfway expected them to try to weasel their way out of doing the right thing, but there was no confrontation, no escalation, just a diagnosis, a solution, and a time to come pick up my car. I just want to say that good dealerships do exist like Nalley Infiniti in Decatur, GA and that there are people like Jordan who genuinely try to take their customers.

On a side note does anyone know if this new transmission is "new new" or will it be one of those factory refurbished ones?

TL;DR - 5th gear itself or synchro going bad. Nalley Infiniti in Decatur, GA covered it under warranty no questions asked. (Avoid Infiniti of Gwinnett, I don't like them fools.)
wow, I had the EXACT same issue and even better customer service.

I was having occasional issues shifting from 5th to 6th about a year ago. The problem got worse a month ago and I took it in to Infiniti of Cincinnati. They test drove it and confirmed it was grinding. I told them I thought it was a syncro issue and they agreed.

I had the use of a brand new Q50 for about a week while they ordered and replaced my transmission. To answer your question, the dealer does not want to rebuild the tranny / replace syncros so they will replace it with a NEW one. I still cringe shifting from 5th to 6th out of habit but the grinding has been resolved.

I also told them about my loud throw-out bearing and they must have adjusted the clutch because the noise seems lessened. The only "complaint" I could possibly have was asking about replacing the clutch while the transmission was out. I was quoted over $2K with a new pressure plate (only one hour of labor).
Old 09-21-2013, 01:47 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
wish the gmc dealer out here was half that good !

glad you guys have good dealers
Old 09-21-2013, 02:34 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
The swell dealers around DFW are amazing.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:11 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts
Kearny Mesa Infiniti and Infiniti of Escondido are both excellent here in San Diego.

I also lived in Plano TX for a few years and used Crest Infiniti and enjoyed working with them as well.

There was also the two years in Pleasanton (Bay Area) and I was treated well by Pleasanton Infiniti.

10 years as an Infiniti owner. No horror stories to tell.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:22 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Dealt w/ Towbin Infiniti in Las Vegas, NV (I think they've got a new name now), Garcia Infiniti in Albuquerque, NM, and Hoy Fox Infiniti in El Paso, Tx. All three have been a pleasure to do transactions and service with. Only complaint was trying to keep the guys at Towbin from giving me their complimentary scratch, spot, & swirl car wash, luckily I showed up right before it got the "treatment" and was able to stop them in their tracks, and this was when I specifically requested no wash
Old 09-21-2013, 05:35 PM
mmmutua

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kudos... There's a great dealer in Orlando, FL. Took the car in for oil change and transmission/differential fluid service on Friday. The dealer discovered cracked leather on the shifter, door panel and center console; agreed to replace everything under warranty. They even found the TMPS sensors on the oem wheels not working and agreed replace. Mind you these wheels are from oem wheels with 2009 TPMS sensors.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:38 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
I always cringe when I hear the pejorative term stealership being used.
I have no complaints about my Infiniti dealer here in Central New Jersey.
Makes me kind of think what the people are like who do the most complaining.
Reading some of the posts how many abuse their $40k+ vehicles and then expect a dealer to warranty their abuse.
I've seen engines in their shop with sludge as thick as mud in the oil pan because some never bother to change their oil.

Love my G

Telcoman
Old 09-21-2013, 07:39 PM
dagenius01

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
For those in NJ i have had great experience with Todd at fette infiniti in clifton, nj. I had my fair share of issue that Todd addressed and resolved. although their non warranty work seems to be a bit pricey.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:26 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by dagenius01
For those in NJ i have had great experience with Todd at fette infiniti in clifton, nj. I had my fair share of issue that Todd addressed and resolved. although their non warranty work seems to be a bit pricey.
There is another Todd in the service department at Circle Infiniti in West Long Branch and he is the best I've ever met.
His presence and expertise is the main reason I purchased my second G at Circle.

I've been buying cars for a long time.

Telcoman
Old 09-22-2013, 09:14 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts
I'm with you Telcoman. I paid a little more for my 2013 purchasing it at Kearny Mesa Infiniti in San Diego as opposed to Orange County because I had been dealing with the same salesman (Greg) for almost a year.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:31 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Charles Barker Infiniti in Va Beach, VA is another good one. I've purchased 2 Infiniti's through them and they're a classy operation. No games or gimmicks. The service dept is good as well. They do "recommend" more service than necessary but they're very professional and understanding when you tell them "no".
Old 09-22-2013, 07:16 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
The swell dealers around DFW are amazing.
I'm not a fan of Grubbs so far. 2 bad experiences...and I really only had 2 issues!

I think you mean Sewell - and I'll have to try them if I need anything more than an oil change. Unfortunately both Sewell Infiniti dealerships (Dallas and Fort Worth) are both @40 min away from me...without too much traffic....
Old 09-23-2013, 03:48 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Guelph Nissan/Infiniti has been great to deal with, the past 7 years, for warranty work.
I posted about them years ago - http://g35driver.com/forums/canada/3...-infiniti.html

I never use the term in question but I do have an issue with seeing two very different labour fees, posted side by side on their service wall (Nissan/Infiniti) when I know that my car is a Nissan. I never go to them for maintenance. I just go to my mechanic or local 'Nissan only' dealership.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:48 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
Kearny Mesa Infiniti and Infiniti of Escondido are both excellent here in San Diego.

I also lived in Plano TX for a few years and used Crest Infiniti and enjoyed working with them as well.

There was also the two years in Pleasanton (Bay Area) and I was treated well by Pleasanton Infiniti.

10 years as an Infiniti owner. No horror stories to tell.
Bought both of my G's at the Escondido dealer. Had service done on the '04 there with no issues and had minor warranty work done on the '11 with no issues. I had cracking in the door handle 'leather' and they replaced the whole door panel.

Quick Reply: People always complain about the stealership...