G37 Sedan

Black fog lamp trim

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 07:02 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
Is there a way to remove the chrome fog rings w/o bumper removal?

I'd like to PD them eventually, good color match and more resistant to road debris than paint
Yes, just grab them and pull. Mine came right off.

I painted mine a couple weeks ago with Duplicolor Shadow Black Chrome. Plastidip would probably be easier, cheaper and match the honeycomb trim just fine.
The following users liked this post:
STownSaint (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Paratrooper

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
with plasti dip i would think you could spray the front of the fog lamp and just peel off the lense, leaving dip on the trim..
Old 12-09-2013, 04:31 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

It would take longer to tape off the surrounding area and peel off the plastidip than it would to just pop off the trim rings.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:11 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 332 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Yes, just grab them and pull. Mine came right off.

I painted mine a couple weeks ago with Duplicolor Shadow Black Chrome. Plastidip would probably be easier, cheaper and match the honeycomb trim just fine.
Checked this out, mine didn't come right off, didn't force it too much since I don't want to scratch or crack them obviously

Do you have to apply pressure at a particular spot to release some sort of clip? Any other motion besides pull straight out (quarter twist, etc.)?

Would rather not PD while still on the car
Old 12-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,721 Likes on 3,527 Posts
There are two (?) clips for that trim ring. Wish I had taken better pictures last year when I removed the fog assemblies, but this is all I got.

I wouldn't advise just grabbing the trim ring and yanking on it. But then, I never tried that either. The safest approach would be to remove the entire fog assembly. And you certainly don't need to drop the bumper to do that.

STownSaint (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 05:53 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

I'd try that but don't have girly arms

Thanks for the photo, ill give it another shot when I have more time

I think removing this chrome bit would be a minor detail that would make a big diff, just two chrome rings in a sea of black down there!
Old 12-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Looking at the car, you can try pushing in a little at 3:00 on the drivers side.

I dunno, mine popped right off.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
I'd try that but don't have girly arms

Thanks for the photo, ill give it another shot when I have more time

I think removing this chrome bit would be a minor detail that would make a big diff, just two chrome rings in a sea of black down there!
That's exactly why I have plastidipped mine when I was installing an HID kit for the fog lights... while at it... bumper was already off anyway, friends suggested to get plastidip and dip the grille and fog light rings... while I'm not a huge fan of PD either the grille does look 10 times better than stock chrome grille, and it's been necessary with the grille... I dont like the matte look of PD on it because it makes it look rice-y...

Soon I'm planning on getting it painted gloss black possibly with the edges of the grille color matched (Rochester )

Last edited by Mik3G37S; 12-09-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:26 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
That's exactly why I have plastidipped mine when I was installing an HID kit for the fog lights... while at it... bumper was already off anyway friends suggested to get plastidip and dip the grille and fog light rings... while I'm not a huge fan of PD either the grille does look 10 times better than stock chrome grille, and it's been necessary with the grille... I dont like the matte look of PD on it because it makes it look rice-y...

Soon I'm planning on getting it painted gloss black possibly with the edges of the grille color matched (Rochester )
Unfortunately don't have time or resources to remove bumper cover will try to remove just the rings again when I can take my time with them.

I agree PD on larger body parts does look cheap, should be reserved to minor trim pieces, even then, needs to be done right.

Here's a photo of another members car with a full gloss black grille, looks great to me (except on black cars). Matching the edges looks OK but creates the illusion of a smaller grille (less aggressive)

Old 12-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,721 Likes on 3,527 Posts
^^^
That is SO much better than the PlastiDip approach. Particularly since the logo was left alone, and the fog rings were painted to match.

The NISMO plate frame, not so much.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
See Rochester ? thats the reason alone I wasn't too sure about doing the edges of the grille matched to the color of the body. They do look good, don't get me wrong but I like how he said it, couldn't think of that before , the matched edges do make the grill look smaller which sort of looks less agressive... +1 on that one STownSaint... this is the same exact color as my sedan and I believe yours as well buddy, and I do like the gloss grille a lot more... my PD'ed one looks like **** comparing to this yet still 10 times better than stock chrome... I guess it's time to get it painted at a shop... maybe once when I get my new replacement ballasts for fog HIDs then I'll have to take the bumper off anyway this way I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone

it looks like the mirror covers are black as well or is that real CF?
Old 12-09-2013, 09:33 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Yes, PlastiDips' best use is just to SEE if you like a particular color choice for a part, then tear it off ASAP so you can do the part the right way

with vinyl (just to get Rochesters' goat )
peace brother
Mik3G37S (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 09:55 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
See Rochester ? thats the reason alone I wasn't too sure about doing the edges of the grille matched to the color of the body. They do look good, don't get me wrong but I like how he said it, couldn't think of that before , the matched edges do make the grill look smaller which sort of looks less agressive... +1 on that one STownSaint... this is the same exact color as my sedan and I believe yours as well buddy, and I do like the gloss grille a lot more... my PD'ed one looks like **** comparing to this yet still 10 times better than stock chrome... I guess it's time to get it painted at a shop... maybe once when I get my new replacement ballasts for fog HIDs then I'll have to take the bumper off anyway this way I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone

it looks like the mirror covers are black as well or is that real CF?
Nice good move, that car has black window trim and mirrors I believe

And my hooptie is black
Name:  photo2_zps2452344c.jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  63.0 KB
Old 03-30-2014, 01:35 PM
PERMAT

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
There are two (?) clips for that trim ring. Wish I had taken better pictures last year when I removed the fog assemblies, but this is all I got.

I wouldn't advise just grabbing the trim ring and yanking on it. But then, I never tried that either. The safest approach would be to remove the entire fog assembly. And you certainly don't need to drop the bumper to do that.

I removed the bumper to access mine as the washer reservoir was in the way. There were 4 clips holding the chrome trim. I don't know how people are grabbing them at 3 & 9 and pulling them off. The tabs at ~230, 430, 730, & 1030.

Black fog lamp trim-miznnzp.jpg

Black fog lamp trim-5svq8g1.jpg

Rust-Oleum FlexiDip (FlexiDip) seems to eat through styrofoam -- used to hold the rings in place. Hope I did not subject myself too much to something poisonous or something.

Black fog lamp trim-d8khvfl.jpg

Black fog lamp trim-wwofhuh.jpg

Black fog lamp trim-b0pjsmb.jpg

Black fog lamp trim-kdtan6d.jpg

Black fog lamp trim-8umeszk.jpg

Black fog lamp trim-tlpau51.jpg

Black fog lamp trim-qlo8nec.jpg

Black fog lamp trim-uwdbip2.jpg

Black fog lamp trim-tczsalv.jpg

I am not completely satisfied with the job -- drips and I dropped the passenger side on the sidewalk after the 3rd coat, subsequent coats did not fill and some chrome is showing -- and will probably redo on a better Saturday afternoon.
STownSaint (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 11:23 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

^thx for info and pics, looks good, will eventually get to this, tried a few times removing the rings w no luck, but I'm always in a rush these days. If you're sticking with matte black, I'll suggest Plastidip only because it is more durable and consequently less likely to show damage from road debris that the lower bumper can be subject to (just a thought). Even w clear coat, I think regular paint will be more vulnerable to chipping
Craze (03-19-2016)

Quick Reply: Black fog lamp trim