G37 Sedan

Road and Track Q50s vs

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 02:36 AM
visualguy

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brizey
I have never been all that impressed with German engineering at all. There stuff is always a terrible value proposition. Anyone can throw money at problems.
It depends on what you mean by value. They don't make the most cost-effective cars to buy and to own in the long term, so if you view a car strictly as a tool for transportation, there are better choices, particularly some Japanese cars.

However, if you care much about "fun to drive" aspects, including performance and handling, then the Germans provide some good value in cars such as the BMW 1, 3, and 4 series, the Audi A3/A4/A5/Q5 series (particularly their S variants), etc. These cars are still priced within reason, and they are very well designed and built, and a lot of fun. Good value in my opinion.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:48 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
I LOVE my Q7. There is a thoroughness and attention to detail that is difficult to beat. It's a great solid tank (it weighs as much as our QX56 that is significantly larger) and is enjoyable to drive.

Having said that, I know that I'll be selling the Q7 at some point in the next year or two b/c I don't want to own the thing out of warranty. There haven't been major issues, but EVERYTHING is more expensive with it. Oil changes, fluid changes, etc. The Germans are like the HS cheerleader...oh so pretty and great to be seen with, but high maintenance.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:10 AM
visualguy

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KEG97
I LOVE my Q7. There is a thoroughness and attention to detail that is difficult to beat. It's a great solid tank (it weighs as much as our QX56 that is significantly larger) and is enjoyable to drive.

Having said that, I know that I'll be selling the Q7 at some point in the next year or two b/c I don't want to own the thing out of warranty. There haven't been major issues, but EVERYTHING is more expensive with it. Oil changes, fluid changes, etc. The Germans are like the HS cheerleader...oh so pretty and great to be seen with, but high maintenance.
I wouldn't call it high-maintenance if you had no issues... Fluid changes are needed very infrequently - oil every 10K miles, brake fluid every two years - how can this be a significant expense?

I don't think there's really an issue with regular maintenance. The problem is how long the car can go before something significant needs to be fixed or replaced. I'm thinking at least 7 years or 70K miles for current models (2013/14) of the B8 platform which are quite well-debugged by Audi by now.

The big question with these things always is the quality of service you can get. If you want to keep a car 8-12 years, you need good service because things will go bad here and there. The harder the car is to work on, the more critical this becomes, and I think modern Audis are a pain to fix. Way too much stuff cramped in there, and too much to dismantle to replace parts. Also, parts are expensive, and sometimes need to be ordered from Germany.

Basically, I agree that it's typically best not to keep German cars for too many years, but 2-3 years past warranty should still be ok. I would feel much more comfortable keeping my G37 for 10 years than my S5, but I enjoy my S5 a lot more!
Old 10-01-2013, 02:38 AM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by oliveview
I couldn't agree more. The Germans have historically been that way. It played no small role in why they were defeated in WWII. They made just fantastic weapons. The finest tanks, the most brilliant guns. However, they were made so precisely, and in some cases, with such complication, that they were no match for the sheer quantity of the more rugged American and Soviet munitions.

That being said...I still love me some German car.
Having had a Mother and Father in WWII I can equivically say that it was the egocentric paranoid leadership of the third reich and the failing of raw materials that led to the fall of Germany, not the intricacies of its war machine.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:50 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by visualguy
I wouldn't call it high-maintenance if you had no issues... Fluid changes are needed very infrequently - oil every 10K miles, brake fluid every two years - how can this be a significant expense?

I don't think there's really an issue with regular maintenance. The problem is how long the car can go before something significant needs to be fixed or replaced. I'm thinking at least 7 years or 70K miles for current models (2013/14) of the B8 platform which are quite well-debugged by Audi by now.

The big question with these things always is the quality of service you can get. If you want to keep a car 8-12 years, you need good service because things will go bad here and there. The harder the car is to work on, the more critical this becomes, and I think modern Audis are a pain to fix. Way too much stuff cramped in there, and too much to dismantle to replace parts. Also, parts are expensive, and sometimes need to be ordered from Germany.

Basically, I agree that it's typically best not to keep German cars for too many years, but 2-3 years past warranty should still be ok. I would feel much more comfortable keeping my G37 for 10 years than my S5, but I enjoy my S5 a lot more!
Great points. Some standard maintenance is less frequent but pricey when needed. An old mechanic told me that Germans put 8 bolts in place "just in case" while Japanese put 3 high quality but inexpensive bolts b/c that is "all that is necessary".