G37 Sedan

Misplaced spare key fob.........

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 03:07 PM
hitlayers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misplaced spare key fob.........

May be a sill question but figured I ask since technology has come a long way, is there any tracking device on our key fobs (2013 G37x) that will track it? I know it has to be in the house or else I woul dnot have been able to get home but just asking to avoid turning the house upside down.....
Old 09-04-2013, 03:12 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 752 Likes on 356 Posts
Sorry, there is no tech available (that I know of) that can track that. Unless you have a dedicated tracker already ON the keychain, you won't be able to find it. It doesn't transmit constantly, so I doubt there's even a way of rigging something to search for that particular frequency. It would be cheaper anyways to just to get a replacement from Infiniti.

Good Luck, Let the hunt begin!
Old 09-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Do you have a dog? I mention that because awhile back we couldn’t find the fob for my wife’s car and thought our dog had swallowed it. So we put him in the front seat and tried to start the car. It didn’t start and the dog was disappointed, thinking he was going for a ride. We eventually found it elsewhere.
The following users liked this post:
BLamb (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 03:54 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
It would be cheaper anyways to just to get a replacement from Infiniti.
are you sure

reprogramming is very expensive
Old 09-04-2013, 05:36 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 752 Likes on 356 Posts
I meant it would be cheaper to get a replacement from infiniti than it would be to make/find some sort of tool that could find your fob.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:01 PM
glennp_2012

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
Do you have a dog? I mention that because awhile back we couldn’t find the fob for my wife’s car and thought our dog had swallowed it. So we put him in the front seat and tried to start the car. It didn’t start and the dog was disappointed, thinking he was going for a ride. We eventually found it elsewhere.
LOL! Pure comedy ^^^^ !!!!
Old 09-04-2013, 06:26 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
On a somewhat related note. I helped my father buy a car and he got a new Accord. The salesman said that the FOB has a computer chip but no battery in it so there is no key slot in the car so basically the FOB will always work and the key inside the FOB is just for the glove compartment. How would that work? Does the G37 have a battery or the same type of computer chip the Accord does. I remember the Infiniti salesman telling me to use the emergency slot in case the FOB fails so I assume it uses a battery

I just find it weird that the Accord would never lose the programming inside the FOB and how is it powered anyways? I just don't want my 73 year old father stranded somewhere since there is apparently no other way to start the car. I've had previous cars where I had to get it reprogammed after a few years.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:11 PM
glennp_2012

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan
On a somewhat related note. I helped my father buy a car and he got a new Accord. The salesman said that the FOB has a computer chip but no battery in it so there is no key slot in the car so basically the FOB will always work and the key inside the FOB is just for the glove compartment. How would that work? Does the G37 have a battery or the same type of computer chip the Accord does. I remember the Infiniti salesman telling me to use the emergency slot in case the FOB fails so I assume it uses a battery

I just find it weird that the Accord would never lose the programming inside the FOB and how is it powered anyways? I just don't want my 73 year old father stranded somewhere since there is apparently no other way to start the car. I've had previous cars where I had to get it reprogammed after a few years.
The Accord key only has a chip so it would start the car when the key is inserted in the slot. This is to prevent theft nothing else. If you get a key the new key has to be programmed in order for the key to work. The Infiniti key is different it's a keyless go type key so it has to be powered by a battery. If the battery dies on the fob insert the fob in the slot provided the chip inside will start the key even if the battery it dead.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by glennp_2012
The Accord key only has a chip so it would start the car when the key is inserted in the slot. This is to prevent theft nothing else. If you get a key the new key has to be programmed in order for the key to work. The Infiniti key is different it's a keyless go type key so it has to be powered by a battery. If the battery dies on the fob insert the fob in the slot provided the chip inside will start the key even if the battery it dead.
You kinda lost me. Its a push button start like the G37 but I could not find a slot to insert a key in case the fob fails like the G37 has. The salesman says there isn't any. This is for the redesigned 2013 Accord. I don't know how to start the car without pushing the button if the FOB doesn't work. Half these salesman don't know much about the cars they sell so maybe I have to look a little harder to find it.

One thing I like about the new Accord is the doors lock with a button push like the G37 but all you have to do is grab the door handle and it automatically unlocks, no button push required for unlocking. I'm not sure if the Q50 or other newer models have this but I thought that was pretty cool.