G37 Sedan

Took on some curb today :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 08:28 PM
linusent01

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Took on some curb today :(

So tonight while parking the G, I took me some curb under the front bumper (drivers side). Imagine the horrific crunch sound and you get out to look and you see this....

Any idea how I can at least make it look better? The black areas are not holes in the plastic, they are actually black road rash from the curb.
Attached Thumbnails Took on some curb today :(-20130824_195931.jpg   Took on some curb today :(-20130824_195940.jpg   Took on some curb today :(-20130824_195851.jpg  
Old 08-24-2013, 08:40 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
That looks like my front chin spoiler after the first day, you should see it now
If you can't see it from the side of the car I wouldn't worry about it since it's plastic, I know it's sad to have that happen but only you should know it's there. You could get a touch up pen from Infiniti w/ your factory color and fill in the most obvious gouges but if only you know where they are I'd just write it off as an ugly f-up
At least you didn't chunk a wheel or something more obvious.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:13 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,659 Likes on 3,482 Posts
Can you see the scrapes if you just look down? If not, let it go, man.

I had a similar experience at a Brueggers Bagels, where I heard and felt the curb crunch up under my front lip. It scraped it good, but the only way to know is to get down hands & knees and look under the bumper. So it is what it is. Out of sight... but not completely out of mind.

Horrible feeling.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:17 PM
solidsilver
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
About a month ago, I did exactly, and I do mean EXACTLY the same thing. True, it couldn't be seen unless you were lying on the ground looking up, but it just drove me crazy. I found a good body shop, and two days and $800.00 later it's good as new. And I've become psychotic about parking...........
Old 08-24-2013, 09:24 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
If it bothers you that much, you can get the factory front chin spoiler. It'll cover it right up and no one will ever know its there.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:54 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by solidsilver
About a month ago, I did exactly, and I do mean EXACTLY the same thing. True, it couldn't be seen unless you were lying on the ground looking up, but it just drove me crazy. I found a good body shop, and two days and $800.00 later it's good as new. And I've become psychotic about parking...........
I did the same thing. Can't see it unless you are laying on the ground looking up. It's annoying for sure.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:21 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by solidsilver
True, it couldn't be seen unless you were lying on the ground looking up, but it just drove me crazy. I found a good body shop, and two days and $800.00 later it's good as new.
$800 to fix a cosmetic issue in the paint, in a place that will never rust, and that you can only see when the car is on the lift.

That's some hard-core car care, right there.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:52 AM
linusent01

Originally Posted by Rochester
Can you see the scrapes if you just look down? If not, let it go, man.

I had a similar experience at a Brueggers Bagels, where I heard and felt the curb crunch up under my front lip. It scraped it good, but the only way to know is to get down hands & knees and look under the bumper. So it is what it is. Out of sight... but not completely out of mind.

Horrible feeling.
You have to get on your hands and knees to see it. I'm thinking I will 1st wash it with something to get the tar off (any suggestions?....gasoline/paint thinner/ need something that wont damage the plastic). Then I'll buff it smooth and fill-in with touch up paint. I don't think I'll get it professionally done.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:55 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by linusent01
You have to get on your hands and knees to see it. I'm thinking I will 1st wash it with something to get the tar off (any suggestions?....gasoline/paint thinner/ need something that wont damage the plastic). Then I'll buff it smooth and fill-in with touch up paint. I don't think I'll get it professionally done.
Just some bug & tar remover or Goo-Gone will work. I think Modme had the best advice, just cover it all up w/ a spanking new chin spoiler, it'll add to the front end look and then it'll be easier to forget
Old 08-25-2013, 11:37 AM
linusent01

Originally Posted by blnewt
Just some bug & tar remover or Goo-Gone will work. I think Modme had the best advice, just cover it all up w/ a spanking new chin spoiler, it'll add to the front end look and then it'll be easier to forget
I have the G37S (sport). Does this mean I already have a sport front chin spoiler? Pardon my cluelessnes. Also, if I get a front chin spoiler, will it hang down lower than existing sport side skirts? Just wondering. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by linusent01
I have the G37S (sport). Does this mean I already have a sport front chin spoiler? Pardon my cluelessnes. Also, if I get a front chin spoiler, will it hang down lower than existing sport side skirts? Just wondering. Thanks.
No, the chin was an option on the Sport Sedan. If you don't know you have it, then odds are you don't have it.

It will only be lower by the thickness of the plastic... a few millimeters. But it will jut out a couple inches more than otherwise (hence the term "chin"), which becomes similarly problematic to lowering the car, although not nearly as bad.

Google Sedan threads titled "chin" and you'll get your answers.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:04 PM
forrmark

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I did the same thing with my new mustang convertible. The front lip is very low. You really can't see the scrape unless you lay on the ground. I used touch up paint just to make myself feel better. Having it done professionally would be a complete waste of money. You might do the same thing again. You don't always notice how high a curb or a concrete parking stop is.

2011 g37 sedan with all options + 2012 mustang convertible
Old 08-25-2013, 02:28 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have excellent depth perception and my scrape wasn't done while parking in a lot. My kids parked their car in a bad position in the driveway...I was tired that morning and my front wheels went off the curb as I was angling the car, and the lip hit the curb.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:08 PM
linusent01

Originally Posted by forrmark
I did the same thing with my new mustang convertible. The front lip is very low. You really can't see the scrape unless you lay on the ground. I used touch up paint just to make myself feel better. Having it done professionally would be a complete waste of money. You might do the same thing again. You don't always notice how high a curb or a concrete parking stop is.

2011 g37 sedan with all options + 2012 mustang convertible
I'm embarrassed that I did this on a stock car though. So many on here have lowered their cars. If I did that I'd be leaving pieces of it on the road !. It reminds me of high school with my friends Camaro. Camaro and Mustangs were all very low and we were always bottoming out and painting all the speed bumps red
Old 08-25-2013, 03:08 PM
1G372nv

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Good thing it didn't crack the bumper at the top around the fender. Could have been worst. I say touch up for quick non expensive fix or get chin spoiler which will also enhance the look of your front give it a more aggressive look. GL

Quick Reply: Took on some curb today :(