G37 Sedan

Took on some curb today :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 03:11 PM
solidsilver
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by forrmark
. Having it done professionally would be a complete waste of money. You might do the same thing again.
Well, noooooo - it bugged me, I wanted to get if fixed, and the shop did a terrific job, so it wasn't a waste of money at all. The problem is not letting it happen again. Since it was my fault, that's up to me, and if I have to get out of the car to check where I am each time I head in towards a curb, then that's what I'll do. It's worth it to minimize the chances of having to drop another 800 bucks.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:43 PM
forrmark

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Curb damage

Originally Posted by solidsilver
Well, noooooo - it bugged me, I wanted to get if fixed, and the shop did a terrific job, so it wasn't a waste of money at all. The problem is not letting it happen again. Since it was my fault, that's up to me, and if I have to get out of the car to check where I am each time I head in towards a curb, then that's what I'll do. It's worth it to minimize the chances of having to drop another 800 bucks.
I know that you were aware of it, but if it couldn't be seen by any one else, why should it bother you? An inexpensive tube of touch up paint would have been sufficient. I know that the underside of my mustang's front bumper was scratched up, but no one else could see it, so a bit of touch up paint solved the problem for me. Don't you have a better use for $800?
My previous car had small dents on the doors caused by inconsiderate people I was parked next to. The car was several years old, so I just ignored the dents.
Why spend money to fix something that is likely to reoccur.

2011 G37 Journey sedan, 2012 mustang convertible
Old 08-25-2013, 11:22 PM
solidsilver
Registered Member

I know that you were aware of it, but if it couldn't be seen by any one else, why should it bother you? An inexpensive tube of touch up paint would have been sufficient. I know that the underside of my mustang's front bumper was scratched up, but no one else could see it, so a bit of touch up paint solved the problem for me. Don't you have a better use for $800?
My previous car had small dents on the doors caused by inconsiderate people I was parked next to. The car was several years old, so I just ignored the dents.

Because it was my decision to make. Let's wrap this up, shall we...........??
Old 08-25-2013, 11:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,659 Likes on 3,482 Posts
My previous car had small dents on the doors caused by inconsiderate people I was parked next to.
Door dings on the G? No, forrmark, that would get fixed.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:02 AM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I completely agree with this. Having a bumper repainted for $800 for minor scratches on the underside is not even worth it, and paint will never match OEM.

Plus, any trained eye would know that the bumper has been repainted, so your resale value will lower. To add insult to injury, painting a bumper for $800 is way too much. Some places can do the job for $350. $800 must include blending the front fender panels. If you paid $800 and all they did was paint the bumper, then you really got completely ripped off. The bumper probably didn't even need a full repaint, just a spot paint and blend to preserve the original paint especially if it is on the underside. You also lose the OEM scratch shield self-healing paint once you decide to repaint the bumper.

Usually what happens is that your front bumper will have scratches and chips due to rocks when you drive on the highway within minutes of getting it painted. I usually wait until I get into an accident to get these things fixed.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 08-26-2013 at 06:10 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:17 AM
solidsilver
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mathnerd88
I completely agree with this. Having a bumper repainted for $800 for minor scratches on the underside is not even worth it, and paint will never match OEM.

Plus, any trained eye would know that the bumper has been repainted, so your resale value will lower. To add insult to injury, painting a bumper for $800 is way too much. Some places can do the job for $350. $800 must include blending the front fender panels. If you paid $800 and all they did was paint the bumper, then you really got completely ripped off. The bumper probably didn't even need a full repaint, just a spot paint and blend to preserve the original paint especially if it is on the underside. You also lose the OEM scratch shield self-healing paint once you decide to repaint the bumper.

Usually what happens is that your front bumper will have scratches and chips due to rocks when you drive on the highway within minutes of getting it painted. I usually wait until I get into an accident to get these things fixed.
This has become ridiculous. My car, my money, and my decision. The repair looks perfect, and I am totally satisfied. Over and out.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:13 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
That looks like my front chin spoiler after the first day, you should see it now
If you can't see it from the side of the car I wouldn't worry about it since it's plastic, I know it's sad to have that happen but only you should know it's there. You could get a touch up pen from Infiniti w/ your factory color and fill in the most obvious gouges but if only you know where they are I'd just write it off as an ugly f-up
At least you didn't chunk a wheel or something more obvious.
Yessir... what this guy said! My car is low. And it is NOT curb friendly at ALL. I have to be very careful when parking or it will get worse than it is. It's scraped up pretty good underneath, but it is what it is. Don't lose sleep over it.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Ken
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Get the Stillen front splitter and cover it up.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:28 PM
forrmark

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Door dings on the G? No, forrmark, that would get fixed.
My previous car wasn't a G. It was a Subaru Outback and it was 8 years old, so not worth doing body work. It was a second car anyway.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:52 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by solidsilver
This has become ridiculous. My car, my money, and my decision. The repair looks perfect, and I am totally satisfied. Over and out.
Just because you paid $800 for a repair that should only cost $350 doesn't mean the OP would be satisfied with it. Just giving advice on what things should cost.

If you want to spend that much on a repair, that's your prerogative. If the OP doesn't want to spend $800 to repair, there are options that can give him the same quality repair for less than half that. My body shop gives a written lifetime guarantee that the paint will match with no peeling, or else they'll keep doing it again and again until you are satisfied. They charge only $350 with two-stage paint like what OEM does. A brand new bumper is only around $360, without paint.

My purpose in this is to prevent people from being ripped off, and maybe the OP doesn't want to go through the same avenue like you did.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 08-28-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:50 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Just because you paid $800 for a repair that should only cost $350 doesn't mean the OP would be satisfied with it. Just giving advice on what things should cost.

If you want to spend that much on a repair, that's your prerogative. If the OP doesn't want to spend $800 to repair, there are options that can give him the same quality repair for less than half that. My body shop gives a written lifetime guarantee that the paint will match with no peeling, or else they'll keep doing it again and again until you are satisfied. They charge only $350 with two-stage paint like what OEM does. A brand new bumper is only around $360, without paint.

My purpose in this is to prevent people from being ripped off, and maybe the OP doesn't want to go through the same avenue like you did.
Yep, and for about the same $350 you can get a front spoiler lip factory paint matched FTW And if you scrape that up it's even harder to see since you have to get down on your stomach to see the damage
Old 08-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Yep, and for about the same $350 you can get a front spoiler lip factory paint matched FTW And if you scrape that up it's even harder to see since you have to get down on your stomach to see the damage
LMAO, best reply yet in this thread
Old 03-18-2017, 11:48 AM
peterso2
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not to bring up a old thread on purpose..but feel better OP. I just caused the EXACT same thing going up an alley entrance at an odd angle yesterday. Pissed as well but these comments make me feel better not to worry. It's only visible on the ground