G37 Sedan

What I was hoping for in the Q50

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 08:12 PM
ExtraCrispy
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I was hoping for in the Q50

I have had my G37 Journey for almost 3 years now. It is a great car with a few well known shortcomings, such as the really fragile paint job.

From all the reviews etc that I've read, the Q50 seems like an upgrade in technology/toys, but not so much in performance/feel, which is what I feel really made the G cars stand out.

What I was hoping for and the Q50 doesn't have -

- engine start/stop
- more engine tech to help with fuel economy
- higher low end torque, flatter torque curve
- better transmission
- adjustable suspension modes

I don't have a sport model (a mistake I regret) and I was not happy the Q doesn't have LSD. It feels like a bigger/heavier car, which it is, with more driver aids which cost extra. In fact it is such a departure from the G that Infiniti has to continue selling the G has well, since they can't risk everything on the Q.

I would've liked a car with genuine performance improvements combined with the informatics in the new Q, that would definitely make me consider an upgrade.

Technology and gadgets are now no longer just found in luxury brands, much cheaper cars can have touchscreens as well (although smaller and less features). I wanted the Q to really stand out based on its performance+fuel economy and once again be a flagship in its segment.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:32 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
What about the hybrid? That doesn't count? What you seem to be implying is a better, must faster G with all of the tech at last years prices. Touchscreen screens are an option in almost an every model car, like power windows. That technology is not a differentiator. In fact a Kia almost has more tech than the G.

Also I had read the Q weighed less then G. I understand why Infiniti is selling the G as it's in a transition period. Seems like a win-win for them. People who are unaware of the Q go to the showroom to look at a G. Bam...there's the Q.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:06 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
People who are unaware of the Q go to the showroom to look at a G. Bam...there's the Q.
LOL, couldn't agree more on this. Seriously, two on top of my wish list is a smoother running engine and a quicker shifting transmission, a dual clutch one would be awesome. I am OK with the engine power for what it is.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:26 AM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a chance to drive the legendary BMW 528i today, and I just have to giggle when thinking about people "disappointment" with the Q50. The BMW MPG is good if you accept the tepid performance of a clapped out 4 cylinder in "comfort" mode. When switched to sport mode, the car is "responsive" but with the trans is always in a gear too low, and say goodbye to your MPG. The high tech start stop is nothing but annoying feature reserved for people who trade in when the car is out of warranty. Because just one broken component will wipe out years of fuel savings. Give me a break, the VQ motor with the 7 speed is much easier to live with.
The Q50 made up the lacks of refinement in the G and the VQ is not a bad engine.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:35 AM
scottp2765

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I totally agree with the OP minus the start/stop thing...just don't care about it.
dual clutch tranny...adjustable suspension....AWD....and everyone like more power even though I am fairly happy with the power now.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
In my opinion, there isn't a perfect car on the market for everyone. Someone will think the a particular car shifts is too hard or too late, the next to mushy and too soon, same trans, different drivers and tastes. For me, after more than 10 years BMWCCA and a charter member of Group Z, I'm very happy overall with my 2009 G. I'm planning on driving it until the extended warranty expires... or until Nissan finally puts a FI motor >400HP in a "G-type" car. ;-)
Old 08-17-2013, 01:19 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Start stop feels like a hybrid car. It won't sound nice with an exhaust on the car
Old 08-17-2013, 01:36 PM
joesmoe879

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the first post. When I saw the more aggressive exterior of the Q50 I was really wishing that Infiniti would make the drive more aggressive as well. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

From reading recent car reviews, it sounds like almost all of the sport sedans are being made less sporty. Even BMW seems to be falling behind. The only brand that seems to be getting more sporty is the Lexus IS. You would think more companies would be trying to fill that gap.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:11 PM
dongagan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boomer-Bob
In my opinion, there isn't a perfect car on the market for everyone. Someone will think the a particular car shifts is too hard or too late, the next to mushy and too soon, same trans, different drivers and tastes. For me, after more than 10 years BMWCCA and a charter member of Group Z, I'm very happy overall with my 2009 G. I'm planning on driving it until the extended warranty expires... or until Nissan finally puts a FI motor >400HP in a "G-type" car. ;-)
Same here. Happy with my 09 G
Old 08-17-2013, 04:45 PM
boomboom696969

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Same here, happy with my 10 G37s anniversary edition. Infiniti, tried to fake us true G sports sedan fans into thinking the Q50 was going to be a real sports sedan by trying to give that bloated boat a wanna be aggressive front end treatment, and all all those dang electronic nannies to the car, but to me, Infiniti blew it!

Of course the Q50 will sell to those soccer mom's who finally convinced their husbands to get rid of that darn minivan once Buffy and Jodie got out of middle school.

Honestly, Inifiniti needs to bring out a true sports sedan that's maybe a blend of the last G20 model (1999-2002) and G37 (current iteration) -- in terms of size (G20 was 177 in, G37 187 in -- so i'm thinking like 180-182 in), with the power of the G37 with an additional 72 hp (400 hp) to the engine, and the sport car exhilaration of the Z. If they did that, I'd gladly look at Inifiniti again. But right now, I'm not moved to stay with I when i'm up for a new ride.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:46 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by boomboom696969
Same here, happy with my 10 G37s anniversary edition. Infiniti, tried to fake us true G sports sedan fans into thinking the Q50 was going to be a real sports sedan by trying to give that bloated boat a wanna be aggressive front end treatment, and all all those dang electronic nannies to the car, but to me, Infiniti blew it!

Of course the Q50 will sell to those soccer mom's who finally convinced their husbands to get rid of that darn minivan once Buffy and Jodie got out of middle school.

Honestly, Inifiniti needs to bring out a true sports sedan that's maybe a blend of the last G20 model (1999-2002) and G37 (current iteration) -- in terms of size (G20 was 177 in, G37 187 in -- so i'm thinking like 180-182 in), with the power of the G37 with an additional 72 hp (400 hp) to the engine, and the sport car exhilaration of the Z. If they did that, I'd gladly look at Inifiniti again. But right now, I'm not moved to stay with I when i'm up for a new ride.
Have you driven a Q50?
Old 08-17-2013, 04:51 PM
boomboom696969

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, when I took my baby in for service last week I test drove one just because it was there. The look of it I thought would be better in person, but it wasn't, for me anyway. It drove ok, but didn't move me to thinking it was a true sport sedan upgrade from my G, sorry to say. Infiniti made it more luxury-oriented, that was obvious to me.

Like I said, it will appeal to some, I just happen to be one of the true G fans they have lost.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:45 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by boomboom696969
Yes, when I took my baby in for service last week I test drove one just because it was there. The look of it I thought would be better in person, but it wasn't, for me anyway. It drove ok, but didn't move me to thinking it was a true sport sedan upgrade from my G, sorry to say. Infiniti made it more luxury-oriented, that was obvious to me.

Like I said, it will appeal to some, I just happen to be one of the true G fans they have lost.
I don't know how you could have thought, they would be turning the q into a combination of Porsche gt3 and m5. Everything I've read about the Q pointed to Infiniti fine-tuning the rough edges on a G and introducing a new power train option. So lower the car, reduce the weight, smooth out the suspension, upgrade to leading class electronics, endow it with a new fascia, update the interior and hopefully fix the 7at. Bingo...you have a Q. Promise new engines and powertrains down the road to keep the faithful and attract new buyers.

Not a bad plan.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:20 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
I don't know how you could have thought, they would be turning the q into a combination of Porsche gt3 and m5.
Maybe because of the silly, non-conformity-themed advertising telling people to expect something amazing and unique, when the reality is none of those things.

Or maybe it's because Mr. boomboom696969 (boomboom? LOL) didn't actually say that, and you're paraphrasing is off the mark. I think that's it right there.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:50 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by da mayor
Start stop feels like a hybrid car. It won't sound nice with an exhaust on the car
my friend has a 335 with start/stop with an exhaust and it sounds fine and feels nothing like a hybrid car. not even close.

Quick Reply: What I was hoping for in the Q50