What I was hoping for in the Q50

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 09:02 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Well said Sam, and although it seems to be true it's still quite sad
Infiniti (at least the G line) was about performance and trying to be mentioned in the same breath as a 3 series.
Oh well, it was a good run
Like G37Sam just did, lots of people here have pointed out the demographic disparity between people on this forum and INFINITI's target market. It's difficult to be objective and see that gap, but you can't deny it either.

And you bring up a valid opinion, Newt, in that few will be comparing the Q50 to the BMW 3-Series any more. Well.. the 328 and 335 (non-IS) models, that is. It just no longer seems like a righteous comparison.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:23 AM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The G37 was a big seller (and saved Infiniti in the process) because of what it was. But now we're supposed to think we're in the minority and all those previous G37 buyers didn't like the car the way it was but bought them nonetheless and us performance enthusiasts are being petty about it. I don;t buy it. Like I said, BMW can get away with this because they have status and they always will, the car will always sell.

The G37 was considered the reliable and fun to drive sports sedan for those who didn't want the financial headaches of owning a BMW or an Audi. If I want that now, a Lexus or even a Caddy would seem the logical purchase now.

I just don't see the logic in Infiniti's decision to discount what made the G37 so popular and decide that making a car that drives like a Camry with alot of gadgets is what thier customers want. Gadgets don't sell. The TL is a shining example of that. The Maxima is loaded with goodies but that hasn't helped sales because it drives like a 6 cylinder Altima so people will just buy an Altima. If people want a car that is a boring drive like the Q50 apparently is then they will save quite a few bucks and just buy a Maxima or Altima. The entry level luxury market is also considered the sport sedan market for a pretty obvious reason.

It seems like the common trend in magazine reviews is that this car is not fun to drive and has too many unnecessary tech options that will only confuse the driver and that is what is considered the main selling point of the Q50. Sounds pretty damn stupid to me. Thinking people who are spending $40K to 50K on a car do not read online reviews and aren't influenced by them is ridiculous This car will be a sales disaster for infiniti once the excitement of it's debut dies down.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:47 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If that is the case, then lesson learned on Infiniti. If it's not the case, you are incorrect about the target demographics.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:01 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Technology advancement is great, but it should be accompanied by performance as well. After all, it's a car, and it's about how it drives. Not whether it can drive itself or connect you to the internet while sitting in traffic. I find this trend in smartphones these days. The Android phones are getting so tech loaded and complicated to use, it's almost as if they forgot what it is supposed to be...a phone. I just want to be able to make a phone call without having to use a manual to figure it out, and I really don't care that my phone can be used a remote for my tv. So while it's nice to have these tech gadgets, let's not steer away from what a car is really supposed to do. Drive. So, like many have said, it a consumer wants a boring car with lots of tech, they can get than in an Accord, Camry or whatever and save themselves $20k.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Yosemite Dan

Originally Posted by g37guy01
If that is the case, then lesson learned on Infiniti. If it's not the case, you are incorrect about the target demographics.
It just makes no sense that would be the target audience. It would seem to me that type of target audience is best suited for family haulers with parents who take longer trips with the kids and want the driving to be as easy and low maintenace as possible. People who want that don't want a car with markedly worse gas mileage and limited storage. Tech is nice but that can't be your main selling point in this market. It's destined to fail.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan
It seems like the common trend in magazine reviews is that this car is not fun to drive...
It can be fun to drive, if you're driving a Q50S in Sport Mode. And while I stand behind that opinion (seeming contrary to the overall interpretation of previous posts), it's more accurate to say it is not *AS* fun as a RWD G37S.

We all enjoy reading about cars, and projecting our values into car reviews. But nothing tells you more than actually driving the car. People here should go drive the car.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-22-2013 at 12:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nisslover (08-22-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Yosemite Dan

Originally Posted by sniper27
Technology advancement is great, but it should be accompanied by performance as well. After all, it's a car, and it's about how it drives. Not whether it can drive itself or connect you to the internet while sitting in traffic. I find this trend in smartphones these days. The Android phones are getting so tech loaded and complicated to use, it's almost as if they forgot what it is supposed to be...a phone. I just want to be able to make a phone call without having to use a manual to figure it out, and I really don't care that my phone can be used a remote for my tv. So while it's nice to have these tech gadgets, let's not steer away from what a car is really supposed to do. Drive. So, like many have said, it a consumer wants a boring car with lots of tech, they can get than in an Accord, Camry or whatever and save themselves $20k.
And you make the perfect point with smartphones. Younger people clamor for all the latest tech in thier phones and that's who these phonemakers target. Infiniti is targeting a market that can't afford to buy the car.

Look how much publicity the new Caddy got because of the improvements in driving and that it was approaching German like dynamics. That type of hype is priceless. What's the raving gonna be about the Q50? How responsive the touchscreen is?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Yosemite Dan

Originally Posted by Rochester
It can be fun to drive, if you're driving a Q50S in Sport Mode. And while I stand behind that opinion (seeming contrary to the overall interpretation of previous posts), it's more accurate to say it is not *AS* fun as a RWD G37S.

We all enjoy reading about cars, and projecting our values into car reviews. But nothing tells you more than actually driving the car. People here should go drive the car.
I'm getting an oil change next week so I'll give it a try but I am a big fan of steering feel in a car and if it has that Camry numbness like many have stated then it takes all the fun out of daily driving and that's a big nono in my book.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:13 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan
And you make the perfect point with smartphones. Younger people clamor for all the latest tech in thier phones and that's who these phonemakers target. Infiniti is targeting a market that can't afford to buy the car.

Look how much publicity the new Caddy got because of the improvements in driving and that it was approaching German like dynamics. That type of hype is priceless. What's the raving gonna be about the Q50? How responsive the touchscreen is?
The hype may be priceless, but I can't say I will rush the caddy to the top of my short list. I think you used the right word hype.

Everything I've read the Q is an improvement over the G. I'm okay with loss of steering feel as long as it's for the greater good...like lane control. Which is not possible with direct steering. Now let's talk about the hybrid power train....
Old 08-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
One man's cache is another man's baggage. :-)

For what is is worth, I remember tolls in BMW groups. Money talks. I say we should all pick a car we like and respect the choice of others.

Okay.. Old guy story. In 1970 when the Z first came out, some Porsche folks were offended by the car's popularity, ratings, resale... They'd say things like "Poor man's Porsche" etc. One Z driver said "Why be so hard on us? You and I have so much in common." The Porsche driver took the bait... "What would you have in common with me?" Replay: "Neither of us can afford a Ferrari." ;-) Actually, one of them could afford a Ferrari, but, chose a car better suited to his needs.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:49 PM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm sorry.... but a lot of you guys beating on this car and declaring it a failure are REALLY out of touch with demographics and what has made the G and ultimately the Q50 a success with buyers.

EVERYONE HERE ON THIS BOARD IS IN THE MINORITY of the Q50's target audience, and the same holds true for the G37. Enthusiasts are ALWAYS the minority for any mainstream car. Everyone that bought a G37 is not some steering feel, curvy back road loving junky. Look at most of the people that drive G37s on the road today... they could probably care less about the performance of the car. They bought it because it was a nice looking 'affordable' premium car that fit their lifestyle. This is the MAJORITY of the people that bought the G37. Hence the reason the majority are non-sport models. THIS is why there will be no problem selling the Q50.

And people keep saying the Q50 is not fun to drive based off reviews. These are the SAME PEOPLE that knocked the past gen G's for not being refined enough, and now that Infiniti finally listened... its not fun to drive? They have to find something negative to say about the car. Go drive the car yourself before you deem it a Camry driving failure! And then we have the complainers about the tires... when most people on this board have aftermarket rims and tires... a non-factor if you ask me and its been stated that a lot of whats lacking in the Q50 in driving feel is due to the not so good stock tires.

And as far as the ATS... I won't say its a sales failure but it sure isn't a sure fire success... and OMG its considered the best driving car in the class! Further showing that handling is not the most important factor in this class.

I am not agreeing and saying that the Q50 has gone soft (case of bad tires on a good car), by no means at all, but I am trying to make the point to those that keep claiming Infiniti has 'alienated' their core market are not seeing it for what it really is. YOU or ME are NOT #1 to Infiniti... do they listen to us and try to give us something... YES, but we are NOT #1 on their list. Sorry.

And I'm sorry the statement about the tech in the car appealing to young people who can't afford the car is just ridiculous! First... it is their Entry model... so you do want to appeal to a younger audience. And just because they're young doesn't mean they can't afford the car. There are thousands of young professionals out there that this car will appeal to and can afford it. Second... People who are into tech covers a VERY BROAD age range! To say only young folk like technology is just... I don't know... not true.

And the styling is far from polarizing! All these reviews people keep quoting made no mention of the car being unattractive and have been saying quite the opposite. As I have said before, its borderline bland with good proportions and a couple of brand specific styling cues.

And then we have people who complain about it coming with the 3.7 again and no extra power... uhhh.... there is the Hybrid that offers more power and fuel efficiency. I personally don't see why it is automatically assumed that a new car MUST BE faster than the old car... If that was the case in 10 years most cars will be kicking dust to the current GT-R. The HP wars has to slow down at some point. Anything under 6 secs to 60 is not a slow car, especially a car thats closer to 5 secs.

And YOU DO NOT have to get the Direct Adaptive Steering nor all the tech! You can get a Q50S with nav and conventional steering if you want sans all the tech if that's a huge issue for you.

Infiniti has in fact broadened the number of people this car will appeal to! The Base and Premium model is still affordable as the G has always been so it will still appeal to the budget minded people that the G always attracted, the Hybrid appeals to those into green tech AND those who want more power, the Q50S sans the tech package and conventional steering will still satisfy the enthusiasts and the fully loaded models will appeal to those who love technology. Looks are subjective, but I think its styling will appeal to most people. Well played Infiniti.
Black Betty (08-23-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 11:56 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by nisslover
I'm sorry.... rant rant rant
No apology necessary. Just another opinion, neither right nor wrong.

Your sig, nisslover... are you driving an Altima SE 6MT? See, now that was a fun car. Much better value proposition, IMO.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-23-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:08 AM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
No apology necessary. Just another opinion, neither right nor wrong.

Your sig, nisslover... are you driving an Altima SE 6MT? See, now that was a fun car. Much better value proposition, IMO.
I have NO PROBLEM with different opinions, but its when people declare the car a failure because the car doesn't appeal to them. No, YOU (thats a general you to those that don't like the car, lol) just don't like the car. So yes, it was a rant about that. I could care less what anyones opinion is. I like the car and if I could afford it, I would get it. And if I didn't like.... I wouldn't. Simple as that.

The fact of the matter is, every mainstream car is a compromise of certain things they want the car to be... and looks like a lot of folks here have been compromised out. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

And speaking of my Altima, I wouldn't get the new Altima because it went a different direction. But I'm not going to discredit the car and Nissan for that decision cuz they sure are selling a CRAP LOAD of them! Just not the car for me anymore. On to the next one.
Black Betty (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 12:25 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by nisslover
Just not the car for me anymore. On to the next one.
Well put. That's exactly what I felt after driving the Q50S. Validated that my 6MT Sedan is just a better driver's car... but with a cheap interior by comparison. The new Q50 interior is quite nice.

Speaking of driver's cars... Motortrend's 2013 round-up is available now on YouTube. All 77 minutes of it.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-23-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:45 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Yep, I guess when those that are paid to make the most profit for the company have a different vision than those that "truly" enjoy their cars it creates what we have here

Not saying I dislike the car, I just dislike parts of the car enough to take a pass.

Quick Reply: What I was hoping for in the Q50