G37 Sedan

Sport Package Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Micron

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by gsm026
Chris,

The AWD models body sits about an inch higher than the RWD models. I drove my 09 xS through way deeper than 5" of snow (certainly many times over 12") with no difficulties at all, no high centering. It's kind of fun while all the FWD cars are struggling to get traction, just to go around them like the road was dry.

Greg

Greg
How to rate fun while passing people stuck in snow: RWD > FWD > AWD

Irony is passing the morons in trucks and SUVs with AWD sideways/rolled/ditched in a RWD car.

Like I said, it's the driver and the tires more than anything else. I drive the mtn twisties of WV on roads covered in packed snow and ice with zero problems, better yet a city street or highway. :P
The following users liked this post:
LilRocket (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 11:07 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Its funny you mention that. I "want" AWD, for snow reasons (Im in CT). I bought my AWD Limited Edition sedan in Virginia. In both locations, there were NO RWD sedans available. In fact the only RWD COUPEs they had in VA were an IPL and the Limited Edition convertible.

Looking around right this very minute, my local Infiniti dealer got 30 Q50s and NONE of them are RWD. Whatever stock they have left of the G37 is AWD as well (even all of the coupes!). Same goes for the only other "local" Infiniti dealer (minus the Q50, at least according to their website).

I would LOVE to drive/own an RWD G, but so far I wouldnt be able to find one at a dealer (new, anyway...I imagine a few used car dealers around here have them....hell one of our local used dealers has a GT-R for sale!)
They stock AWDs at dealers vs RWDs because people have this very crazy misconception that they NEED AWD in the north and can't live without it so they don't buy the RWDs then they just sit there. I came from a RWD Sport G and this car feels watered down and weak compared to it..
Originally Posted by gsm026
Wannabesport,

Wow, that's a different perception than I have. I actually consider the xS one of the better handling AWD cars out there. I have both cars right now (xS and 6MT sedans), and I can drive them back to back on the same roads. The first question I would have for you is - what crap A/S tires did Infinity put on your xS? I upgraded mine to Potenza RE970's and it was a significant handling improvement vs. the OEM Dunlops.

One other thing ... I have my favorite curvy roads and one tricky corner in particular. I can tell you that with decent tires on the xS, there isn't as much real difference as you would think. I think that perception is part of it - the quicker steering ratio on the S makes if feel lighter and more responsive.

The xS is a very nice handling car IMHO.

Greg
I have Michelin Pilot Super Sport High performance tires on this car and I still think it handles like the Queen Mary trying to do a slalom. I take it down country roads and feel like it is pushing like mad and all the weight of the car is pushing itself onto that front outside wheel. It just doesn't feel balanced. it feels like a freaking boat. I think my moms BMW X5 diesel feels better balanced than this car. I even ran it up and down the same road today and was blown away by how nimble that felt and how much of a pig my car feels.
Originally Posted by lilgers
I live in Kansas and would love a RWD but can't really get one due to the snow.
I live in Minnesota and go to school in North Dakota. Trust me, you will survive in Kansas. For reference, this is my old RWD Sedan, and look! It isn't flumixed by snow! In fact, it tanked in the snow.

Originally Posted by Micron
Running a RWD 6MT here... Not sure what people are on about not having a RWD in snow. Drives like a beast without issue. Combination of wearing the right shoes and knowing how to drive it. It's like folks trying to play ice hockey in flip-flops
RWD and snow works just fine. You just need to have proper tires, WHAT A COINCIDENCE! I will be running my snow tires on my AWD this winter and hope to god this car redeems itself. (I am going to ****ing cry when we get no snow )
Old 08-18-2013, 11:23 PM
Micron

Originally Posted by WannabeSport
RWD and snow works just fine. You just need to have proper tires, WHAT A COINCIDENCE! I will be running my snow tires on my AWD this winter and hope to god this car redeems itself. (I am going to ****ing cry when we get no snow )
I just run Bridgestone 970AS Pole Positions year-round... Blizzaks on stand-by if need be.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:49 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 152 Likes on 125 Posts
They stock AWDs at dealers vs RWDs because people have this very crazy misconception that they NEED AWD in the north and can't live without it so they don't buy the RWDs then they just sit there. I came from a RWD Sport G and this car feels watered down and weak compared to it..

I have Michelin Pilot Super Sport High performance tires on this car and I still think it handles like the Queen Mary trying to do a slalom. I take it down country roads and feel like it is pushing like mad and all the weight of the car is pushing itself onto that front outside wheel. It just doesn't feel balanced. it feels like a freaking boat. I think my moms BMW X5 diesel feels better balanced than this car. I even ran it up and down the same road today and was blown away by how nimble that felt and how much of a pig my car feels.

I live in Minnesota and go to school in North Dakota. Trust me, you will survive in Kansas. For reference, this is my old RWD Sedan, and look! It isn't flumixed by snow! In fact, it tanked in the snow.

I can understand your frustration, but have you considered upgrading your suspension?
I find that just the upgraded rear sway & Swift Sport lowering springs has improved the handling immensely!
I'm still on stock Dunlop's and I find that mine handles similar to my friend's stock G37S coupe.

Living here in New England "is" a must for FWD/AWD vehicles during the winter climate...every bit helps!
Most RWD vehicles are stored away during the winter & only the Subaru's & SUV's come out.
Unfortunately, I only have one vehicle, so played it safe with the G37xS...thinking of going with winter tires this year if it was anything like last winter!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:25 AM
Micron

Originally Posted by dragion
Living here in New England "is" a must for FWD/AWD vehicles during the winter climate...every bit helps!
Most RWD vehicles are stored away during the winter & only the Subaru's & SUV's come out.
Unfortunately, I only have one vehicle, so played it safe with the G37xS...thinking of going with winter tires this year if it was anything like last winter!
What DEFINES that you NEED FWD/RWD? Your profile states you're in Boston? Lynnfield (closest NOAA pull) got a total of 76.5 inches of snow from 2012-2013... My hometown and the area surrounding it in WV got over 60" in just one storm. Again, RWD running all seasons. Not city like Boston and surrounding, but mountains. Other folks run RWD fine as well.

You don't NEED a non-RWD vehicle for snow, but society had groomed you to think that. Much like SUVs are only safer when not driven like an over-confident moron because statistics show folks drive them more aggressively from their perceived safety, thus negating any increased safety.

I even had to fight my wife over the RWD issue and she ate humble pie after our first winter with my G.

A solid understanding (lacking with most driver) of driving in wintery conditions and making sure your tires have appropriate tread and inflation will do more for driving in snow than ANY drive train selection!

Last edited by Micron; 08-19-2013 at 07:31 AM.
WannabeSport (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 08:25 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I would agree they stock AWD only up here in the northeast for snow reasons, but as I mentioned in VIRGINIA (where the average snowfall is nill), they too ONLY had AWD (minus the IPL and LE vert)

I think its a widely spread notion that everyone NEEDS AWD. Personally I got AWD because RWD wasnt really available, and if my wife ever takes the G in adverse weather I feel more comfortable with her in AWD than RWD (she's never driven a RWD car before)

She doesnt seem thrilled about the idea of my replacing her current car with my G so I might be stuck with another FWD or AWD car. At least if I went back to the G/Q Id have RWD biased AWD....it could be worse I guess (not a fan of the Germans so Audi/VW/BMW, etc would most likely not be considered)
Old 08-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Micron

I would agree they stock AWD only up here in the northeast for snow reasons, but as I mentioned in VIRGINIA (where the average snowfall is nill), they too ONLY had AWD (minus the IPL and LE vert)

I think its a widely spread notion that everyone NEEDS AWD. Personally I got AWD because RWD wasnt really available, and if my wife ever takes the G in adverse weather I feel more comfortable with her in AWD than RWD (she's never driven a RWD car before)
When I got my RWD 6MT, there were only 2 in a 250 mile radius... Both in MD, black in the north, white in the south. Something to keep in mind is that aside from AWD, Gs are RWD, as are EXs, etc.

My wife has an AWD EX35 Journey for HER comfort factor, because growing up in MD the whole NEEDING AWD for adverse weather myth was pounded into her head since birth. Most non-western Marylanders also panic at the sight of a single-airborne snowflake resulting in gridlocked traffic, multiple accidents and vacant store shelves with perishables disappearing first... you know, in case they lose power?
Old 08-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Micron
When I got my RWD 6MT, there were only 2 in a 250 mile radius... Both in MD, black in the north, white in the south. Something to keep in mind is that aside from AWD, Gs are RWD, as are EXs, etc.

My wife has an AWD EX35 Journey for HER comfort factor, because growing up in MD the whole NEEDING AWD for adverse weather myth was pounded into her head since birth. Most non-western Marylanders also panic at the sight of a single-airborne snowflake resulting in gridlocked traffic, multiple accidents and vacant store shelves with perishables disappearing first... you know, in case they lose power?
Yeah, I can hold my own with RWD in most conditions....Ive done it before.

Funny story: my parents lived up in CT for 50+ years, then moved to Virginia. Dad drives to work one day (in his Mustang GT convertible) with 1/2" of snow on the ground....gets there and work is closed. He thought it was hilarious, they cant function down there with more than 1/4" of snow on the ground but he drove a V8 RWD car (without snow tires) the 20 miles to work without a problem.

My wife has no idea of AWD, FWD, RWD. Thats what makes her dangerous! It would be more for MY comfort to get her AWD or FWD.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:45 AM
Micron

^ One video that summarizes the DMV area when snow is forecasted, even if it's a dusting that won't stick.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Hehe, bread milk and eggs so you wont be stranded without French toast
Old 08-19-2013, 10:46 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by dragion
I can understand your frustration, but have you considered upgrading your suspension?
I find that just the upgraded rear sway & Swift Sport lowering springs has improved the handling immensely!
I'm still on stock Dunlop's and I find that mine handles similar to my friend's stock G37S coupe.

I just absolutely despise modding the car. i do not want to change a single thing on this car. I am like, the anti-mod. But unfortunately, this car handles so poorly to me, that I think to keep my sanity throughout the duration of the lease, I am going to have to get some sway bars for it. I refuse to lower a car again, I am not into that, but sways I can handle. I just have to get accustomed to the stupid fvcking things squeking again.

(Have to realize, this is my third G. I modded my first two and got all of that crap out of my system. I did not want to do it again, but now I think I have to just to make me not want to take an $8000 hit on it... It is difficult to pay 300+ per month on a car you don't want to drive. I'v had this car since April and I haven't even put 4k on it yet.)
Old 08-19-2013, 11:08 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
I am going to have to get some sway bars for it. I refuse to lower a car again, I am not into that, but sways I can handle. I just have to get accustomed to the stupid fvcking things squeking again.
In addition to using generous amounts of Energy Suspension pre-lube grease on the ribbed insides of the sway bar bushings, I wrapped the bars under the bushings with gas-line teflon tape.

This is a trick that I found online. Is it working for me? I really don't know, except that my Eibach's don't squeak (yet).
EatShtRochester (08-22-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
In addition to using generous amounts of Energy Suspension pre-lube grease on the ribbed insides of the sway bar bushings, I wrapped the bars under the bushings with gas-line teflon tape.

This is a trick that I found online. Is it working for me? I really don't know, except that my Eibach's don't squeak (yet).
Do yours have the zerk fittings to grease them?

I know you can get the Energy Suspension lube (or something similar) in small tubes for mini grease guns. SuperLube (popular for restoring old ratchets, etc) makes one as well, I think you just need something 100% silicone and thick-ish. The silicone should be OK for the bushings because most of the aftermarket sways come with polyurethane instead of rubber.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Do yours have the zerk fittings to grease them?
Nope.

I know you can get the Energy Suspension lube (or something similar) in small tubes for mini grease guns. SuperLube (popular for restoring old ratchets, etc) makes one as well, I think you just need something 100% silicone and thick-ish. The silicone should be OK for the bushings because most of the aftermarket sways come with polyurethane instead of rubber.
I bought a small jar of the stuff. And it wasn't expensive at all. Amazon, I think. Anyway, that's more pre-lube grease than I'll ever need. I could probably re-grease the bushings 30 times with this.
EatShtRochester (08-22-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Yeah I just figured Id tend to actually do it more often if I didnt have to remove the brackets everytime Thats why I like the zerks (although getting the stuff in a mini cartridge is harder/more expensive)

Quick Reply: Sport Package Question