G37 Sedan

Sport Package Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 08:30 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
My xS handles like a barge. I miss my sport RWD.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by WannabeSport
My xS handles like a barge. I miss my sport RWD.
My xS AWD is my first AWD vehicle. Ive owned several FWD vehicles and a couple RWD as well.

Ive always wondered if a big part of the difference in handling (RWD-S vs AWD-S) is because of inherent "issues" with AWD...understeer, neutral, then oversteer all while going through one turn.

Obviously thats a pretty big part of handling, but I would think you could put the same exact struts, sways, etc on a RWD without the Sport package and it would still handle better than the AWD sedan with the exact same parts. I just feel like the AWD car needs a wider turning radius or else it wants to slog down (VDC kicking in?)

Ive never driven an RWD G...I might be lucky and end up with a coupe in the next few years so maybe I can report back then
Old 08-17-2013, 09:48 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
I genuinely feel sorry for those of us in the north that just automatically jump to AWD and dont get to experience the joys of their cars RWD counterparts. Talk about a noticeable difference. This car feels heavy and sluggish. My 6MT Sport felt light and agile... As you can tell, i am not a fan of my '13s dynamics. I actually have a whole big bash/comparison written up for whenever i have the ***** to post it up and make half the forum double take their cars lol
Old 08-17-2013, 09:57 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Chris,

You are correct that most AWD cars understeer, but in the case of the G, it is really a RWD car with zero torque going to the front wheels unless something is slipping. I think there are several reasons for the understeer -
- softer spring and damper calibration
- smaller sway bars
- Narrower A/S tires, vs. staggered summer tires
- more front-biased weight distribution

The true S models have an all aluminum front subframe vs. steel, and lose the front differential, u-joints, half shafts, bearings, etc which are all forward of the Cg. The other thing is that some manufacturers (not sure with Nissan) intentionally bias AWD cars for heavy understeer. If you get into a snow/ice situation where you are slipping at both ends (more likely with an AWD), the understeer is going to help keep you on the road.

You can upgrade the handling on an xS pretty easily. Hotchkiss sway bars are probably the biggest thing, along with UHP all-season tires. It still won't quite match the full sport, but you are going to have some trade offs for the AWD winter performance. The Michelin Pilot Sport Plus UHP AS tires are supposed to be among the best for handling (not necessarily best for snow traction).

Greg
Old 08-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

I genuinely feel sorry for those of us in the north that just automatically jump to AWD and dont get to experience the joys of their cars RWD counterparts. Talk about a noticeable difference. This car feels heavy and sluggish. My 6MT Sport felt light and agile... As you can tell, i am not a fan of my '13s dynamics. I actually have a whole big bash/comparison written up for whenever i have the ***** to post it up and make half the forum double take their cars lol
Its funny you mention that. I "want" AWD, for snow reasons (Im in CT). I bought my AWD Limited Edition sedan in Virginia. In both locations, there were NO RWD sedans available. In fact the only RWD COUPEs they had in VA were an IPL and the Limited Edition convertible.

Looking around right this very minute, my local Infiniti dealer got 30 Q50s and NONE of them are RWD. Whatever stock they have left of the G37 is AWD as well (even all of the coupes!). Same goes for the only other "local" Infiniti dealer (minus the Q50, at least according to their website).

I would LOVE to drive/own an RWD G, but so far I wouldnt be able to find one at a dealer (new, anyway...I imagine a few used car dealers around here have them....hell one of our local used dealers has a GT-R for sale!)
The following users liked this post:
Jeff413 (11-05-2023)
Old 08-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gsm026
Chris,

You are correct that most AWD cars understeer, but in the case of the G, it is really a RWD car with zero torque going to the front wheels unless something is slipping. I think there are several reasons for the understeer -
- softer spring and damper calibration
- smaller sway bars
- Narrower A/S tires, vs. staggered summer tires
- more front-biased weight distribution

The true S models have an all aluminum front subframe vs. steel, and lose the front differential, u-joints, half shafts, bearings, etc which are all forward of the Cg. The other thing is that some manufacturers (not sure with Nissan) intentionally bias AWD cars for heavy understeer. If you get into a snow/ice situation where you are slipping at both ends (more likely with an AWD), the understeer is going to help keep you on the road.

You can upgrade the handling on an xS pretty easily. Hotchkiss sway bars are probably the biggest thing, along with UHP all-season tires. It still won't quite match the full sport, but you are going to have some trade offs for the AWD winter performance. The Michelin Pilot Sport Plus UHP AS tires are supposed to be among the best for handling (not necessarily best for snow traction).

Greg
Yeah, the typical weight adds from the AWD setup probably kill it. The rest of the stuff (like you said) is fairly easily "fixable". I know of people with staggered wheel/tire setups even on AWD and it works OK.

Have heard excellent things about those Michelins you mentioned (and for once they arent outrageously priced). It will be a while before I need to replace my stockers, but thats where I would be headed when the time comes.

Already have the Hotckiss sways so thats good to go (and did make a noticeable difference)

I know there are limited coilover choices for AWD sedans out there, but that would be my "dream" mod, to fix what I could of the handling.

Hopefully once the kids grow out of car seats a coupe is in my future....lets see what the Q60 turns out to be! Hopefully they are saving all of the sportiness up for the 2 door.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:11 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Wannabesport,

Wow, that's a different perception than I have. I actually consider the xS one of the better handling AWD cars out there. I have both cars right now (xS and 6MT sedans), and I can drive them back to back on the same roads. The first question I would have for you is - what crap A/S tires did Infinity put on your xS? I upgraded mine to Potenza RE970's and it was a significant handling improvement vs. the OEM Dunlops.

One other thing ... I have my favorite curvy roads and one tricky corner in particular. I can tell you that with decent tires on the xS, there isn't as much real difference as you would think. I think that perception is part of it - the quicker steering ratio on the S makes if feel lighter and more responsive.

The xS is a very nice handling car IMHO.

Greg
Old 08-17-2013, 10:56 PM
lilgers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in Kansas and would love a RWD but can't really get one due to the snow.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:11 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Lilgers,

I had to import my 6MT from California. You occasionally find a manual coupe or vert here in Colorado, but the sedans are non-existent. I looked for 6 months and even had 2 dealers looking for anything within driving distance. Finally I broke down and went to the hassle and expenses of going out of state. .

You'll find 6 spd Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs, etc here in Colorado ... and occasionally a rare 335i RWD. But virtually no G37 sedans.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:10 AM
Micron

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Running a RWD 6MT here... Not sure what people are on about not having a RWD in snow. Drives like a beast without issue. Combination of wearing the right shoes and knowing how to drive it. It's like folks trying to play ice hockey in flip-flops
Rochester (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 09:10 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by gsm026
I looked for 6 months and even had 2 dealers looking for anything within driving distance. Finally I broke down and went to the hassle and expenses of going out of state.
I looked for months as well. I even hired a car broker for access to the Manheim Auction House. Like you, I finally found my 6MT out of state. Fortunately, it was only 400 miles away. So I hopped on the Train and made an adventure out of it. Fun day.

Originally Posted by Micron
Running a RWD 6MT here... Not sure what people are on about not having a RWD in snow. Drives like a beast without issue. Combination of wearing the right shoes and knowing how to drive it. It's like folks trying to play ice hockey in flip-flops
Finally. Someone sensible and realistic about driving in snow.

I firmly believe that 95% of the time, for 95% of passenger car owners, AWD is an unnecessary feature, and mostly just a sales gimmick. For that other 5%, it is actually totally awesome and appropriate. The problem is that 95% of owners all think they're in that narrow 5%. And you will never, ever have a rational discussion with them, because they need to protect their rationale.

Put another way, (and based on nothing what-so-ever, LOL) I suspect that 5% of AWD owners put snow tires on their cars in the winter. Those are the smart ones.
WannabeSport (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 12:56 PM
LilRocket

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I suspect that 5% of AWD owners put snow tires on their cars in the winter. Those are the smart ones.
This is on my purchase list before this winter, snow tires for my Enkei 18's. I just hope Boston doesn't get 25-30" of snow like we did this past winter.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by LilRocket
This is on my purchase list before this winter, snow tires for my Enkei 18's. I just hope Boston doesn't get 25-30" of snow like we did this past winter.
I dont put snow tires on my AWD G37. Then again, I have a 4WD pickup for when the snow is that bad or I just "work from home".

I find it at least a little ironic that the G is AWD with a whopping 5" or so of ground clearance. I mean, AWD or not, anything over 5" of snow and you essentially become a plow.

I wonder if they will ever bring back that same sportiness from the 6MT to the Q50 (even if its just exactly the same but without the 6 speed manual).
Old 08-18-2013, 02:33 PM
LilRocket

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
I dont put snow tires on my AWD G37. Then again, I have a 4WD pickup for when the snow is that bad or I just "work from home".

I find it at least a little ironic that the G is AWD with a whopping 5" or so of ground clearance. I mean, AWD or not, anything over 5" of snow and you essentially become a plow.

I wonder if they will ever bring back that same sportiness from the 6MT to the Q50 (even if its just exactly the same but without the 6 speed manual).
I doubt it, seems they are heading towards the same route as Lexus sedans being Sport A/T vehicles with upgraded interior technology. The Q60 will be the only M/T it seems
Old 08-18-2013, 03:28 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Chris,

The AWD models body sits about an inch higher than the RWD models. I drove my 09 xS through way deeper than 5" of snow (certainly many times over 12") with no difficulties at all, no high centering. It's kind of fun while all the FWD cars are struggling to get traction, just to go around them like the road was dry.

Greg

Greg

Quick Reply: Sport Package Question