G37 Sedan

G37 to continue through 2015

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:12 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan
I'm not sure what to make of the G37 being continued for 2 more years but no matter how you slice it, that can't be good for Infiniti's faith in the Q50. Its almost like they are aiming for different markets with these cars. The Q50 for techheads who just want a comfortable competent ride and the G37 for people who want to have fun with their sports sedan. I just can't see the point of the Q60 coupe being released if it shares the same dynamics as the Q50 with little engine growl and numb handling and feel.

Does anybody think there's a chance that the G37 nameplate will live on after 2015 and Infiniti will introduce a new version thats geared toward enthusiasts? That would be fantastic because I have little desire to buy a Q50, just from reviews I know it won't be my cup of tea, I'm even afraid to test drive one because I don't want to feel first hand how they made this into their version of a Camry.
I doubt Infiniti's faith in the Q50 has much to do with it. The problem is Infiniti is in dire need of more car models to fill out their lineup. By holding over the G37, they risk very little. The R&D and tooling is all paid for, and the G has a solid reputation to continue to attract some buyers.

Having said that, there's little to no chance the G will live on beyond '15. Enthusiasts will have to wait for IPL versions of the Q60 and even the Q30, for some real performance. And get ready to pay for it- we may be left wishing for the days of "only" $50K IPL models...
Old 08-16-2013, 11:00 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan
GM deserves it. It is beyond idiotic to abandon a Corvette design staple and then to add insult to injury they decide to copy the taillights of a much cheaper car, the Camaro. Its like Ford having the new Mustang mimic the back end of a Ford Focus and from the rumoured new design of the Mustang it looks like it will resemble the front end of every other cheaper Ford car with the Aston Martin wanna be grill.

I don't understand why car manufacturers these days insist that every model in their line up must follow the same design cues. Talk about lack of imagination. German carmakers are notorious for that but they have that cache that means their cars always sell well, other manufacturers don't have that luxury. If you're fortunate enough to find that winning design that attracts the market, you dont deep six it to make it look like every other car in your lineup. You evolve it. Infiniti and Chevy is making that mistake and looks like Ford is about to with the Stang.

I'm not sure what to make of the G37 being continued for 2 more years but no matter how you slice it, that can't be good for Infiniti's faith in the Q50. Its almost like they are aiming for different markets with these cars. The Q50 for techheads who just want a comfortable competent ride and the G37 for people who want to have fun with their sports sedan. I just can't see the point of the Q60 coupe being released if it shares the same dynamics as the Q50 with little engine growl and numb handling and feel.

Does anybody think there's a chance that the G37 nameplate will live on after 2015 and Infiniti will introduce a new version thats geared toward enthusiasts? That would be fantastic because I have little desire to buy a Q50, just from reviews I know it won't be my cup of tea, I'm even afraid to test drive one because I don't want to feel first hand how they made this into their version of a Camry.
BMW is more Camry like than the G. Infiniti needed to tone down the suspension, while keeping the same handling characteristics.

I'm glad they did, and look forward to taking a test drive in the Buick Q50.(sic)
Old 08-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,708 Likes on 3,516 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
Infiniti needed to tone down the suspension, while keeping the same handling characteristics.
Fine, but do it with the Q70.

If the Q50 is just a smaller Q70, then they're intentionally cutting out a demographic of car buyers who prioritize a sport-tuned driving experience. As evidence, they're keeping the G37 around, but not with the RWD-Sport package, or even a proper transmission.

We didn't leave Infiniti. The brand is leaving us.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:19 AM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by Rochester
Fine, but do it with the Q70.

If the Q50 is just a smaller Q70, then they're intentionally cutting out a demographic of car buyers who prioritize a sport-tuned driving experience. As evidence, they're keeping the G37 around, but not with the RWD-Sport package, or even a proper transmission.

We didn't leave Infiniti. The brand is leaving us.
There was a similiar bally-hoo on BMW forums as buyers claimed BMW was leaving them. Their revamp of the entire line up seems to have worked as sales are very strong.

Infiniti might be giving up a handful of harcore enthusiasts for a broader market.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Infiniti might be giving up a handful of harcore enthusiasts for a broader market.
I think we're both saying the same thing. What's good for INFINITI doesn't seem to include that handful of hardcore enthusiasts. I think it's a shame, because it's the loudest members of any group that usually define the group as a whole. So by excluding the driving enthusiast, they're giving up their identity.

Unless the new Q60S 6MT is a whole lot of driving awesome.

Either way, having both seen and driven the Q50S, and coming away more convinced than otherwise that my lightly modded G37S is the better car, all this talk is just market awareness for me now.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:35 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
BMW is more Camry like than the G. Infiniti needed to tone down the suspension, while keeping the same handling characteristics.

I'm glad they did, and look forward to taking a test drive in the Buick Q50.(sic)
This is a good one. I like to hear how a BMW is more like a Camry in any way?
Old 08-16-2013, 12:16 PM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by sniper27
This is a good one. I like to hear how a BMW is more like a Camry in any way?
Test drive both cars, meaning a G37 and 335 over your favorite pothole filled, asphalt cracked roads and you'll see whats what. Unless you actually do this it's tough to comprehend how much smoother the BMW suspension is, while providing great control and feedback. ie...more Camry like.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:25 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I'll agree that the BMW suspension is pretty smooth for what it is and can do. I describe that feeling as refined. Something the G37 lacks. I think, however, Infiniti needs to tone down the suspension and make it more refined, but at the same time, enhance the handling as I don't think it's that spectacular in the G.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:47 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Test drive both cars, meaning a G37 and 335 over your favorite pothole filled, asphalt cracked roads and you'll see whats what. Unless you actually do this it's tough to comprehend how much smoother the BMW suspension is, while providing great control and feedback. ie...more Camry like.
How do you define feedback because driving a Camry is one of the most mind numbing and dull experiences out there. There is absolutely no feedback in a Camry, in fact feedback and Camry should never be put in the same sentence. It's like driving a ****ing hearse.
The following users liked this post:
CRiME (08-17-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Car manufacturers rely on customer loyalty for repeat sales. And if I were on the management team at Infiniti's marketing department, I'd task an intern to troll through this forum for a few months before and after the Q50 release, if only for some perspective. IMO, that's time well spent, for virtually zero cost.

Bet they aren't, though.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:40 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Car manufacturers rely on customer loyalty for repeat sales. And if I were on the management team at Infiniti's marketing department, I'd task an intern to troll through this forum for a few months before and after the Q50 release, if only for some perspective. IMO, that's time well spent, for virtually zero cost.

Bet they aren't, though.
exactly. The PR aren't knowing whats out there and for what reason people aren't itnerested on the new charater scheme at all. Why dont they re-do the Q line and cross-delete it like G25?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:36 PM
g37guy01

Bet they aren't, though.
Depends which forum. Troll through this forum, you see 5 people with doom and gloom. Troll through infinitiq50.org there is a buzz of excitement on the whole forum. Which do you think the marketing department will take more seriously?

I am sure the market dept. has done extensive demographic work, like BMWs marketing dept, which is a perfect example of a car that gets trashed all over the place and sales continue to grow. How much useful information that really represents John Q. Public do you think can be gleaned and extrapolated from forums such as these?

However, to your point, there are web aggregator businesses that can be hired for a price, that deliver information about how, when and where their company name is being used on the internet and in print. Do you not think all auto manufacturers are not scouring the web for this information?

Last edited by g37guy01; 08-16-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Troll through infinitiq50.org there is a buzz of excitement on the whole forum.
I would hope so. Be kind of silly otherwise, don't you think?

My point was about the sales strategy of farming brand loyalty. There's a suspicion here that INFINITI is expanding their market while sacrificing a measurable segment, but that it's a net gain.

However, to your point, there are web aggregator businesses that can be hired for a price, that deliver information about how, when and where their company name is being used on the internet and in print. Do you not think all auto manufacturers are not scouring the web for this information?
It would be all kind of fun if someone representing that intent were to make themselves known as a forum member.

Every spy knows, that once your cover is blown, it's best to go all in...

Old 08-16-2013, 09:52 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
MT - "In our Sport model, impacts seem a bit too severe, while the highway rebound rates seemed a little floaty."

Not so good, in a bloated and floaty Buick, at least you know you are not going to feel much when hitting a bump...sounds like the new suspension tune was a failure.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:08 AM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by 00Max00
MT - "In our Sport model, impacts seem a bit too severe, while the highway rebound rates seemed a little floaty."

Not so good, in a bloated and floaty Buick, at least you know you are not going to feel much when hitting a bump...sounds like the new suspension tune was a failure.
But *you* have to like the way the vehicle handles. It's irrelevant what MT thinks about it. The roads in my neck of the woods, except for the Garden State and mostly the turnpike stink. Which is my biggest complaint about the G, it was not meant for enjoyable driving on roads like these. But I digress.

When I bring my car in for a regular service, I'll talk to my salesperson about a test drive and see what the car will do on crappy roads. I'll be able to compare it to the G.

Quick Reply: G37 to continue through 2015