G37 Sedan

Today is the first day Q50 available for sale and test drive, and I scored one!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 03:41 PM
SAL9000

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
So it's not going to start creaking and rattling like an old Honda Civic in a couple years like my 2010?
I had an '07 Accord V6 sedan (V6s had lower profile tires and stiffer suspension) and it had the prototypical Honda creaks-n-rattles-n-buzzes. My '11 G37x sedan is better but not significantly so, and this ONLY after a major jihad of Li grease, felt tape, foam tape, and double sided tape. I can only image how bad the sport models are with the stiffer suspension and summer tires.

The Q50S felt significantly more buttoned down, with a much better ride and much less road noise. It is hoped that this translates into, or is a predictor of, an interior that holds together much better. Thing is the overhead sun glass door, which has given me rattle fits on my G, is of the exact same design on the Q, so, the Q has a lot to prove.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by SAL9000
The Q50S felt significantly more buttoned down, with a much better ride and much less road noise.
By better, you mean softer, right? And yes, it certainly was noticeably more quiet. But is that better? I want to hear my sport sedan, and feel the road. Since I already thought my Sport G was too soft and quiet to begin with, you can see where the Q is going in the opposite direction of those values. Hmm.

In full and honest disclosure, before this test-drive I was predisposed to think less of the Q50 than I actually did. But it really is a fine car... just kind of boring, and with a balance sheet of design considerations that fall in the negative category more so than the positive. At least, in a more skewed analysis than the old 6MT Sedan. In other words, INFINITI is slowly turning their cars towards a demographic that I'm no longer a part of.

At this point, I'm far more interested in seeing what they come up with in the Q60. That's the car to get excited about, IMO.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-10-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:39 PM
JustinInfMelb

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
The Q-60 is gonna be a 2 door version of the Q-50, same front end maybe slightly different rear (Tailights) like the current coupes...

So we obviously know you wont like that one lol
Old 08-11-2013, 12:10 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by SAL9000
I had an '07 Accord V6 sedan (V6s had lower profile tires and stiffer suspension) and it had the prototypical Honda creaks-n-rattles-n-buzzes. My '11 G37x sedan is better but not significantly so, and this ONLY after a major jihad of Li grease, felt tape, foam tape, and double sided tape. I can only image how bad the sport models are with the stiffer suspension and summer tires.

The Q50S felt significantly more buttoned down, with a much better ride and much less road noise. It is hoped that this translates into, or is a predictor of, an interior that holds together much better. Thing is the overhead sun glass door, which has given me rattle fits on my G, is of the exact same design on the Q, so, the Q has a lot to prove.
I will give it the benefit of the doubt.

I for one don't think it is acceptable to have to work around the car's faults. I shouldn't have to grease up every joints, lay down felt or tape everywhere to make the car rattle less. I shouldn't have to drive the car in DS or shift in M to make the 7AT better.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:13 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinInfMelb
The Q-60 is gonna be a 2 door version of the Q-50, same front end maybe slightly different rear (Tailights) like the current coupes...

So we obviously know you wont like that one lol
I've always looked at the Coupe and Sedan as two distinctively different cars, each with their own unique character. But I understand that not everybody gets that, and that's OK. If you want to lump them together, that's fine.

Also, I just said it was a fine car. Just two posts ago.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:41 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Although I'm in the M37X Nation now (just got a 2013 m37X end of June to replace my 2010 G37X), I had a Hybrid M35X as a service loaner for a day. I won't be able to present the critique that was posted, and the M hybrid is an older design, but a few brief comments are as follows:
I was able to achieve about 30 MPGs - driving it pretty hard.
I felt some really abrupt and disturbing har shifts in the tranny if i stepped on it after coasting to slow down in some instances.
Overall, due to the same design, there was no discernible differences in the interior or exterior - you wouldn't know you had a hybrid except for the designation badge on the car. I failed to really look under the hood.
I had the car for a day as the dealer had arranged to apply the special Exterior and Interior protectorant (Entire Car Protection which includes Armour paint protection and similar application to interior surfaces including the leather).

Compared to my 2010 G37X, I have to say after 6 weeks of ownership, I'm glad I opted for the M37X. It is less sporty, but roomier, more luxurious, and serves my personal preference better. Love the Deluxe Touring Interior...... it adds so much to the look and feel. Overall with the same 3.7 engine and same 7AT, it is a little better than my 2010 G37X, but it does behave very similar.... in driveability. There is some quirkiness to the tranny - less so, but it's there too.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:52 PM
bresbones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to inquire about re-leasing a 2014 g37 (my current one ending this Nov) and was told by dealer that there will NOT be any G's past 2013 regardless of what we've been reading online!! Consequently I renewed my lease with a 2013 G37 (at a 4k reduced MSRP price) but obviously there's some confusion as to whether the G line will live on for 2 years or is dead at year end! I'll be pissed if they gave me false info, intentionally or not! Anyone have the real answer? Infiniti corporate stands by the 2013 last year for G story too!
Old 09-30-2013, 06:06 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bresbones
I went to inquire about re-leasing a 2014 g37 (my current one ending this Nov) and was told by dealer that there will NOT be any G's past 2013 regardless of what we've been reading online!! Consequently I renewed my lease with a 2013 G37 (at a 4k reduced MSRP price) but obviously there's some confusion as to whether the G line will live on for 2 years or is dead at year end! I'll be pissed if they gave me false info, intentionally or not! Anyone have the real answer? Infiniti corporate stands by the 2013 last year for G story too!
Highly doubt it's discontinued, they maybe releasing a new G in 2014 spring and delaying production, unless the new Q50 really took over its place, which is what I thought it would do but I heard the G brand was staying alive. Does kind of make sense as the G37 coupe is now going to be called the Q60 and all new names start with Q.