G37 Sedan

Controls stopped working.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 12:17 PM
drjdh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Controls stopped working.

I have a 2010 G37 sedan and noticed yesterday that many of the buttons on the control panel are not functioning. Below is a diagram of the buttons which stopped working. The radio and navigation are all working working fine. I tried to access the setup menu using the "Setting" and the "Volume" ****, but as you can see the setting button is one of the buttons affected. Has anyone experienced this issue?
Attached Thumbnails Controls stopped working.-nav-buttons.jpg  
Old 08-01-2013, 06:32 PM
Alaa Wehbeh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the same problems but with my climate control buttons i could change the temperature but will not show on the screen , and sometime nothing would show up on the screen and buttons wont work, i took it to the dealership it was a 1 hour fix i believe. (under warranty)
Old 08-01-2013, 08:36 PM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The exact same thing happened to me just 2 days ago and it's driving me crazy!

Originally Posted by Alaa Wehbeh
I had the same problems but with my climate control buttons i could change the temperature but will not show on the screen , and sometime nothing would show up on the screen and buttons wont work, i took it to the dealership it was a 1 hour fix i believe. (under warranty)

Do you know what the dealership fixed?
Old 08-02-2013, 12:39 AM
Alaa Wehbeh

The tech guy told my service adviser that it was a software problem, but i have a 09 dunno if that makes a difference. but he told me its not a big deal.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:03 AM
drjdh

I have an appointment at the dealer next week. I will let you know how it goes. It's still under warranty luckily.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:03 PM
RatedG

my friend has a 2012 S - he was upset about a week ago and punched his dash

NOTHING WORKS

AC stays on at 71
no navi no music no climate

thank god for steering wheel controls for music

he cant really take it to service with his mods

If anyone has suggestions would be great
Old 08-02-2013, 05:31 PM
owslystnly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
he was upset about a week ago and punched his dash
he cant really take it to service with his mods
Well, if it stopped working because he punched his dash.....I don't think warranty covers that either. I'm not sure how common the G's dash units are on ebay or in junkyards, but I'd start there.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:32 PM
drjdh

Ok, to follow up. I had my appointment yesterday and on the way to the dealer the whole control panel just started working normally. It was almost like it needed to be reset as I left the car without being started for about 2 days.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:11 PM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alaa Wehbeh
The tech guy told my service adviser that it was a software problem, but i have a 09 dunno if that makes a difference. but he told me its not a big deal.
Wonder how the software issue gets fixed, and why the buttons stopped working all of the sudden. Doesn't sound like a software to me, but you never know

Originally Posted by drjdh
Ok, to follow up. I had my appointment yesterday and on the way to the dealer the whole control panel just started working normally. It was almost like it needed to be reset as I left the car without being started for about 2 days.
I read somewhere that the G35 also had this issue, some people were able to fix it by unplugging their battery overnight; next day everything worked again... that fix action did not work for me .

There was another fix for the G35 that consists in removing the head unit and inspecting/fixing solder points on the card that has the buttons. Apparently due to the design of our sound/nav units, all the heat generated by the radio ends up overheating the components located right underneath the buttons that are located by the nav screen, causing the solder to become undone, therefore we get the "buttons don't work" issue. Some user had actually found out which solder points are the ones that need fixing and had a DIY and all, but I still have not found anything related to our G37s...

Looks like new DIY material has surfaced...any takers?