Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:27 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Mike @Vossen, finally someone fixed that Qs front end, 'bout time

Nice wheels BTW
Indeed. They should make those in an 18" and 19" size, too. Ditto for the CV5.

Isn't there a market for people who want to just swap tires on similar sized wheels without having to commit to new tires and dropping their car on boat anchors? Srsly?
Old 07-30-2013, 03:02 PM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Indeed. They should make those in an 18" and 19" size, too. Ditto for the CV5.

Isn't there a market for people who want to just swap tires on similar sized wheels without having to commit to new tires and dropping their car on boat anchors? Srsly?
The thing I have come to notice is that aftermarket wheels tend to look smaller on a car compared to OEM wheels if they are the same size. Because the OEM wheels were designed along with the car, they fit the car in size and style. hence most people upsizing.

Well at least that's my own personal observation. lol
Old 07-30-2013, 03:43 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 178 Likes on 117 Posts
BAHAHAHAHAHA! That's funny! Love a nice serving of understated humor.

Mike, those wheels look great on the new Q!

Originally Posted by blnewt
Mike @Vossen, finally someone fixed that Qs front end, 'bout time

Nice wheels BTW
Old 07-31-2013, 10:09 AM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
MT review. Still not looking too good.

2014 Infiniti Q50S First Test - Motor Trend
Old 07-31-2013, 10:58 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by blackfunk

"The 328-hp, 3.7-liter V-6 is smoother than in the G37"

Did the different exhaust do this, or are they just talking out of their butts?

Or did Infiniti actually change something on the 3.7? The fact the power numbers are exactly the same makes me think thats not the case
Old 07-31-2013, 11:02 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by blackfunk

i thought the review was spot on based on everything i've read. MT doesn't have to like the car....I do.
The following users liked this post:
mj_39 (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 11:38 AM
ErikM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Everything they didn't like can be fixed.. All the more reason NOT to buy a first year anything.. Software can fix the steering, loose the run flats, and tweak the shocks.. I'll bet just getting rid of the SH**TY run flats will do wonders.. The main take away I got was that the Q is a solid and logical update to the somewhat long in the tooth G..

My Lease is up on my 13 in a couple of years, I suspect that by then alot of the early teething pains will have been resolved.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:41 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
"The snappy seven-speed automatic keeps the car in its powerband, shifting quickly and without drama."

They should do a long term test and see how this is after a few months. The G feels like this after everytime I reset the ECU.

The main take away I got from the review was it is basically the same car, with just lots more tech added to it to make it more modern. And if you want a driver's car, get a 335 or S4.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:42 AM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
"The 328-hp, 3.7-liter V-6 is smoother than in the G37"

Did the different exhaust do this, or are they just talking out of their butts?

Or did Infiniti actually change something on the 3.7? The fact the power numbers are exactly the same makes me think thats not the case
It may be the new logics they put in to the transmission.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:47 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
It may be the new logics they put in to the transmission.
When I hear an engine is smoother, to me it has nothing to do with the transmission, and everything to do with how it runs, if the powerband feels smoother, etc.

But you could be right. Im not sure there are ever any really good big-magazine "reviews" of anything. Just gotta drive the darn thing for ourselves and figure it out.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:08 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ErikM
Everything they didn't like can be fixed.. All the more reason NOT to buy a first year anything.. Software can fix the steering, loose the run flats, and tweak the shocks.. I'll bet just getting rid of the SH**TY run flats will do wonders.. The main take away I got was that the Q is a solid and logical update to the somewhat long in the tooth G..

My Lease is up on my 13 in a couple of years, I suspect that by then alot of the early teething pains will have been resolved.
the G may be long in the tooth, but it's the best value in it's class bar none. While I would really like a 550, I've grown fond of my long in the tooth G...so much so I may get a Q50.

The only serious contender would be BMW, maybe Mercedes. I'm staying away from the other premium brands for various reasons. Maybe Acura if they come through with something "nice".
Old 07-31-2013, 12:43 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
When I hear an engine is smoother, to me it has nothing to do with the transmission, and everything to do with how it runs, if the powerband feels smoother, etc.

But you could be right. Im not sure there are ever any really good big-magazine "reviews" of anything. Just gotta drive the darn thing for ourselves and figure it out.
I agree with you. To me, what they are saying could really mean the new shifting logics, car being insulated better, better NVH, etc. Those could really make the whole thing feel "smoother". But at the end of the day, we'll really have to drive and see for ourselves.

I am happy that Infiniti has done what I was hoping for: Keep the same engine/drive train and make the whole car more refined. However I am still not sold on the exterior styling, especially the rear.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:15 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
I agree with you. To me, what they are saying could really mean the new shifting logics, car being insulated better, better NVH, etc. Those could really make the whole thing feel "smoother". But at the end of the day, we'll really have to drive and see for ourselves.

I am happy that Infiniti has done what I was hoping for: Keep the same engine/drive train and make the whole car more refined. However I am still not sold on the exterior styling, especially the rear.
They could have made the "IPL" version of the engine the new base. It would at least add some HP to get the masses talking.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Eugenius
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
A brand new video review from AutoGuide.com just has came out (bellow). Seems like the car has potential for setting the steering response which looks like a very good feature.
Although the rear end design started really irritating me, I can see why people call it "Hyundai alike"

Last edited by Eugenius; 08-01-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:17 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Eugenius
A brand new video review from AutoGuide.com just has came out (bellow). Seems like the car has potential for setting the steering response which looks like a very good feature.
Although the rear end design started really irritating me, I can see why people call it "Hyundai alike"
This was covered before and in the MT review.

"The system offers different virtual steering ratios as well as different resistance maps. It's capable of providing either too fast or too slow a ratio with either too much or too little resistance, or any combination desired. MT figure-eight guru Kim Reynolds and I agree the middle settings on both are optimum. So, you're left with a costly technological solution to mimic the standard steering rack."

Quick Reply: Q50 Review