G37 Sedan

Q50 Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
Although out of the "G" nation (now have a 2013 M37X), look at Automobile Magazine's recent First Drive Review....little acclaim noted here. It may have too much Techie stuff including the highly touted Steering By Wire feature. From that report, and the fact the new M is very pleasing with more room and comfort (hey I'm 62 years old now), and I made a terrific deal on m the new lease, I'm very content with my decision.

Regards to the G Nation....
Im very interested to see if you remain satisfied with the 7AT in the M vs the G....is it really all that different?

Mostly curious because Im thinking there may be some good deals on the M once the Q70 is about to release. Might make a good replacement for the wifes TL!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:39 PM
DONTTASEMEBRO

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
thank you, can't believe they are toning down the G...messing up the bread and butter of infiniti..
Old 07-28-2013, 09:40 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Reviews with no pictures of the new car?
Old 07-28-2013, 09:55 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by da mayor
Reviews with no pictures of the new car?
there are plenty of pics in this thread. what's the use anyways? we all know what it looks like.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:25 PM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SAL9000
I see another M failure. The previous gen M was a hit - the press liked it and it sold well. Then comes the current generation M - a big departure from the previous car - and it's done poorly in the press and in sales. The Q50 is even a bigger departure from the very successful G37 - they're going after the Lexus GS crowd save that Infiniti will never be able to match Lexus levels of refinement. I predict the Q50 will do poorly (or at least not as good as the G), at least in its initial years. Perhaps they'll add a legit Audi S/M-B AMG/BMW M/Lexus -F version of the Q50 but until then, this car loses most of the G37 customer base.
What are you talking about?!? The Q50 still competes with the IS, 3-Series, A4, etc. Even still, from what I have heard the car is much more refined compared to the current G.

Heres a write up from someone who had an extensive test drive (note he has a GT-R): Infiniti Q50 Technical & Operational Blog: Pre-Release Review of the Q50 AWD Sport Hybrid

It's extremely funny how everyone here is declaring the car a failure and have YET to drive it or see it.

The M has been a failure because it was priced above what it should have been because of an unfavorable dollar-to-yen exchange rate and low on features, relatively speaking, for its class. They completely failed at marketing the car and the non-sport model is somewhat puffy, although its pretty stunning in Sport.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:50 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by nisslover
What are you talking about?!? The Q50 still competes with the IS, 3-Series, A4, etc. Even still, from what I have heard the car is much more refined compared to the current G.

Heres a write up from someone who had an extensive test drive (note he has a GT-R): Infiniti Q50 Technical & Operational Blog: Pre-Release Review of the Q50 AWD Sport Hybrid

It's extremely funny how everyone here is declaring the car a failure and have YET to drive it or see it.

The M has been a failure because it was priced above what it should have been because of an unfavorable dollar-to-yen exchange rate and low on features, relatively speaking, for its class. They completely failed at marketing the car and the non-sport model is somewhat puffy, although its pretty stunning in Sport.
That review was pretty lacking in regards to the actual driving and performance of the car. Plus he drove the all out most expensive one you can get, and it doesnt even have the 3.7L as the basis for the drivetrain.

Even the first comment on the article was more performance oriented than the review..."how was the steering by wire, did it feel numb?" If you read all of the car mag first drive reviews, they've all tossed in a complaint or two about the steer by wire. THOSE are real performance questions and seems to be (at least by all the reviews that are out there) where the Q might fail vs the G.

Is the Q more refined? Sure, but thats not necessarily what everyone (especially on this forum) wanted in the "G" replacement.

I think it might make a nice car for my wife, since she is more refined than I but Im debating holding out for a deal on an M instead.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:58 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Is the Q more refined? Sure, but thats not necessarily what everyone (especially on this forum) wanted in the "G" replacement.

I think it might make a nice car for my wife, since she is more refined than I
That's funny
Old 07-29-2013, 11:57 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
That's funny
Agreed! I'm sure many of us have knuckles that drag on the ground when we walk. Hopefully our wives (or significant others) aren't so closely related to the cavemen.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:07 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

So the guys wife just happened to bring one home?
Old 07-29-2013, 01:38 PM
Mike@Vossen
SUPPORT AUTHENTICITY!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOVE the new Q50! Especially on Vossen CV7

Old 07-29-2013, 03:00 PM
SAL9000

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

What it "competes" with is meh - it is bigger, softer, "more refined" with little advancement in driving dynamics and zero advancement in power train. They numbed it to go after the GS/ES crowd.

The M failed (or, didn't do nearly as well as its predecessor) because it was confused on what buyer to go after - it DEFINITELY wasn't for the then-current M customer base.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:21 PM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SAL9000
What it "competes" with is meh - it is bigger, softer, "more refined" with little advancement in driving dynamics and zero advancement in power train. They numbed it to go after the GS/ES crowd.

The M failed (or, didn't do nearly as well as its predecessor) because it was confused on what buyer to go after - it DEFINITELY wasn't for the then-current M customer base.
The car is pretty much the same size. Its wider mostly for stance purposes, has the same wheelbase and marginally longer.

Really, ES? I'm assuming you're basing your statements on the Edmunds review of a non-sport model with crappy tires. One of the main complaints the G used to get in comparisons was that it was less refined than the competition and it looks like Infiniti has addressed that, but that does not mean they "softened" the car. Lets see what a Sport does before it declared an ES competitor....

The M failed for many reason, I'll leave that at that. The price increase was probably one of the biggest contributors. But I would bet it will see a major refresh next year and will have a significant increase in feature content with no increase in pricing. They now have room to play since the Yen is weakening which is why cars like the EX and 370Z have seen price reductions of up to $3k.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:05 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Mike @Vossen, finally someone fixed that Qs front end, 'bout time

Nice wheels BTW
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 02:50 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Mike @Vossen, finally someone fixed that Qs front end, 'bout time

Nice wheels BTW
was thinking the same thing...the front end of that one actually looks ok now.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:06 AM
Nick3753

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Perhaps these steer by wire complaints can be improved with a simple software update??

Quick Reply: Q50 Review