G37 Sedan

Q50 Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:09 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
The bottom is a Sport and the top is just a premium.
Yep. Look at the front brakes.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:25 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
So the rear looks like a Sonata because Hyundai copied elements from Infiniti a few years before the Q50 came out?
No, they copied the g. To me the g and q look similiar in the rear although I haven't yet seen the q in person.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:00 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
No, they copied the g. To me the g and q look similiar in the rear although I haven't yet seen the q in person.
you think the rear of the G and Q look alike? are you serious?
Old 07-20-2013, 11:01 PM
John B

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
So the rear looks like a Sonata because Hyundai copied elements from Infiniti a few years before the Q50 came out?
I saw that response to my point about the tail lights. They had two white premiums at the dealer and I do not think its that great looking of a car. To each its own, ill wait to test drive when they come with a new power plant and a manual transmission.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:30 AM
tman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im not feeling it either. So the Q is a bit wider, but overall length is the same. I would have liked a bit more room inside. Coming from a 09 TL AWD to 12 G AWD sedan, I like the TL better. More room and technology is much better for the same price. Im only impressed with the G's power. Now that is something to note! As far as appearance, it is a Kia/Hyundai hybrid looking. You just don't design a car to resemble a Kia if you want to be innovative and original. Pricing out a Q similar to what I have now which is an XS model, would be close to $50k. I cannot justify that with the competition out there. Im waiting on the next Gen TL or I may change to a MDX.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:51 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by tman
Im not feeling it either. So the Q is a bit wider, but overall length is the same. I would have liked a bit more room inside. Coming from a 09 TL AWD to 12 G AWD sedan, I like the TL better. More room and technology is much better for the same price. Im only impressed with the G's power. Now that is something to note! As far as appearance, it is a Kia/Hyundai hybrid looking. You just don't design a car to resemble a Kia if you want to be innovative and original. Pricing out a Q similar to what I have now which is an XS model, would be close to $50k. I cannot justify that with the competition out there. Im waiting on the next Gen TL or I may change to a MDX.
I've always been an Acura fan. I just traded in my TSX to get the G and was "this" close to getting a '09 MDX before I went with my heart and got an Audi Q7. But man I can't stand Acura styling right now. The TL front ends were....interesting with the shield/tooth thing. I was good with the rest of the car but could never get past the tooth. I didn't even bother to look at one before getting the G.

I test drove a MDX a few weeks ago and was underwhelmed. The luxury is not there anymore and that was not typically a strong suit to begin with for Acura. I do like the tech and the double screens but the materials just aren't there. It's as if Acura styling did a 180 and went from daring to vanilla. The new MDX is blah to me.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:15 PM
g37guy01

you think the rear of the G and Q look alike? are you serious?
Exactly alike? Similar, the DNA is there.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:11 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When ever I look at it It reminds me the of Altima & Maxima. Infinity copied the styling of it's siblings. The G should of been released first with this style. The Altima and Maxima should of copied The G. They did it backwards. Your top end models should not copy styling ques from lower end models. It looks good but I'm still reminded of an Altima or a Maxima.

Electronic steering, I guess my current 2009 G with be last G.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:39 PM
bassy
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by SmokyQ_xS
Why would they do all LED external lighting except for the rear license plate lights and rear turn signals? That makes no sense
Exactly! That makes the car less upscale, too. Infiniti was one of the first car companies to use LED taillights, but they're so slow to incorporate LED turn signals and rear license plate lights.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:10 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The reviews said the car is now more refined, more room, has better material, just as fast. Styling is subjective and takes time for people to really appreciate what it is.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:13 PM
notapreppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by platinumg35x
"In our case, the Q50 rolled on 225/55/17 all-season Bridgestone run-flats that were hopelessly overmatched by the chassis. There is so little grip that it's as though somebody accidentally mixed clay into their carcasses instead of silica. As a result, when given the mere suggestion of spirited cornering, the front tires protest audibly and early before washing out into understeer. This lack of enthusiasm was reflected in its meager skid pad performance of 0.79g and lackadaisical 60.9-mph slalom result."

I don't care if they tested the non-S version. That is still unacceptable for what Infiniti claim to be a "sports" sedan. Looks like the enthusiasts will be moving over to BMW.
Maybe it's because I'm an autocrosser (that has gone through several sets of tires in a season) but I always shake my head when an enthusiast complains about the grip-level of OEM tires. Of course they suck; they're OEM tires! ALL OEM tires suck. I'm sorry, they just do. They are a compromise in comfort, handling, grip, rolling resistance, kick-back from the tire mfr, etc and the compromise never breaks in the direction that an enthusiast wants (regardless of what that is).

Until I see Bridgestone RE-11, Hankook R-S3, BFG Rivals, Dunlop Z1/Z2 or Kumho Ecsta XS tires on a car from the factory, I will never expect the tires to have the grip I want. I budget at least $1000 extra on a new (or new-to-me) car to put decent rubber on. Even if I'm not racing the car.

Speaking of which, I need to order some new tires to replace the awful Bridgestone Potenza G019's that came on the '09 G37x sedan that I just bought.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:53 PM
4rnr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
anyone hear of a Q vert ? or even a coupe?
Old 07-21-2013, 03:06 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CodeG
The reviews said the car is now more refined, more room, has better material, just as fast. Styling is subjective and takes time for people to really appreciate what it is.
I never subscribed to this. How does styling grow on you? I thought the 2004 Maxima was butt ugly when it came out and still do. I thought the current gen Acura TL was butt ugly when that came out (and the TL websites initially were very similar to the Q50 ones where a few were saying that people were being negative and didn't like change and that's why they didn't like the new design, actually it's because the car is damn ugly and still is). I think myself and many others have seen enough of the Q50 in person and in pictures to say that looks is not it's strong point. And I love my G37 and would love to have a worthy successor to it because I really don't want to deal with German cars and their reliability headaches but I can't justify spending that much for a Q50 which looks likes a glorified Sonata and if you can't see that then people have their heads in the sand.

I woud love to upgrade in a couple of years but I'm not ashamed to say that styling is a huge factor for me and even bigger when the Q50 has the same power train. Why would I want to spend all that extra coin to upgrade for an uglier car with apparently much less steering feel if early impressions are accurate. For dual touch screens? No thanks. And all these high preorders is normal for almost every new model, it's the 2nd, 3rd 4th year sales that is the litmus test.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:10 PM
John B

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The regular S models come with sticky rubber with the potenzas RE 050a. They are pretty sticky of course they are not street legal drag radials but the are much better than the all season tires on your all wheel drive.
Originally Posted by notapreppie
Maybe it's because I'm an autocrosser (that has gone through several sets of tires in a season) but I always shake my head when an enthusiast complains about the grip-level of OEM tires. Of course they suck; they're OEM tires! ALL OEM tires suck. I'm sorry, they just do. They are a compromise in comfort, handling, grip, rolling resistance, kick-back from the tire mfr, etc and the compromise never breaks in the direction that an enthusiast wants (regardless of what that is).

Until I see Bridgestone RE-11, Hankook R-S3, BFG Rivals, Dunlop Z1/Z2 or Kumho Ecsta XS tires on a car from the factory, I will never expect the tires to have the grip I want. I budget at least $1000 extra on a new (or new-to-me) car to put decent rubber on. Even if I'm not racing the car.

Speaking of which, I need to order some new tires to replace the awful Bridgestone Potenza G019's that came on the '09 G37x sedan that I just bought.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:54 PM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan
I never subscribed to this. How does styling grow on you? I thought the 2004 Maxima was butt ugly when it came out and still do. I thought the current gen Acura TL was butt ugly when that came out (and the TL websites initially were very similar to the Q50 ones where a few were saying that people were being negative and didn't like change and that's why they didn't like the new design, actually it's because the car is damn ugly and still is). I think myself and many others have seen enough of the Q50 in person and in pictures to say that looks is not it's strong point. And I love my G37 and would love to have a worthy successor to it because I really don't want to deal with German cars and their reliability headaches but I can't justify spending that much for a Q50 which looks likes a glorified Sonata and if you can't see that then people have their heads in the sand.

I woud love to upgrade in a couple of years but I'm not ashamed to say that styling is a huge factor for me and even bigger when the Q50 has the same power train. Why would I want to spend all that extra coin to upgrade for an uglier car with apparently much less steering feel if early impressions are accurate. For dual touch screens? No thanks. And all these high preorders is normal for almost every new model, it's the 2nd, 3rd 4th year sales that is the litmus test.
Some of us do not think the Q looks like a "glorified Sonota". Clearly to "each their own" on this point and if you think I have my "head in in the sand", so be it. However, I would welcome a setting to dial in the steering effort on my G. It is nearly impossible to drive through neighborhoods at 25 mph with a cup of coffee (non-spillable cup of course ) in my hands. Being able to steer with one hand would be welcome.

Maybe if one is looking for a pure grit sports sedan, this is not what the G is evolving to; but time will tell if the marketing dept. and executive committee got it right..even at the risk of loosing some existing customers.

Quick Reply: Q50 Review