G37 Sedan

First car -need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 10:03 AM
obsidian3339

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First car -need advice

I just bought a CPO 2010 G37 and it is the best car I have ever driven. I would like to maintain it as 'my precious' and want the G37 community to help me out.

I've heard a lot of dreadful stories about swirl marks. So:

1. How would you suggest me to get my car washed? Both exterior and interior.
2. How should I maintain the leather and chrome inside?
3. Which wiper liquid works best?

Thanks in advance to all you fellow G37ers!
Old 07-09-2013, 11:06 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by obsidian3339
I just bought a CPO 2010 G37 and it is the best car I have ever driven. I would like to maintain it as 'my precious' and want the G37 community to help me out.

I've heard a lot of dreadful stories about swirl marks. So:

1. How would you suggest me to get my car washed? Both exterior and interior.
2. How should I maintain the leather and chrome inside?
3. Which wiper liquid works best?

Thanks in advance to all you fellow G37ers!
Be sure to check out this sub-forum it'll have every answer for you, and it'll probably give you a whole new list of questions, lol
Car Care & Detailing - MyG37

I'd only hand wash your G, or if you must use an auto wash only use a completely "touchless" wash, one that only adds soap and doesn't have any twirling brushes. Use only the basic wash as the other extra waxes and chemicals can be pretty harsh.

BTW, welcome to the site and enjoy your new G!
The following users liked this post:
Gio37 (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 12:00 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I handwash my car. In between washes, or if I don't have time, I will use one of those self wash and only use the high pressure washer (soap) and high pressure rinse, finished off with the low pressure spot free rinse. I skip the wheel cleaner with that green stuff that sprays out, the foam brush, and the clear coat wax/protectant stuff. With the spot free rinse, I don't even need to dry the car. Just drive off and air dry.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:13 PM
forrmark

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
The only wash my g gets is when it rains. It's a car, not your life.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Redpit

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I agree with everyone so far so I'll address your interior question. I like lexol products and aerospace 303. I would recommend those to you. Use the Lexol cleaner followed by aerospace 303 on the dash, and use lexol leather cleaner followed by the conditioner on the leather. I'd hit up amazon for all those things.

I can't help you on wiper fluid since I never use it. I'm fairly certain they are all very similar. I can tell you that the stoner window cleaner is awesome and safe on tints and that's what I use to clean my glass.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,721 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by forrmark
The only wash my hair gets is when it rains.
And yet you're here, on this forum. So I've fixed your post for yuks that make about as much sense. Meh, go troll somewhere else.

obsidian3339, I'll give you two words of invaluable advice given your current noobish status with car cleaning and care. Here it is... microfiber towels.

Have fun, learn as you go. Welcome to the forum.
The following users liked this post:
Gio37 (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 02:00 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by forrmark
The only wash my g gets is when it rains. It's a car, not your life.
+1

I like the way you think

Heavy downpours in thunderstorms do a great job

Telcoman
Old 07-09-2013, 03:03 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
blnewt has already directed you to the appropriate sub-forum. I use Leatherique for the interior and use a waffle-weave towel to dry the exterior.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:53 AM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
welcome to the forum, obsidian.

Check out the car care and detailing section of the forum, but also read this entire thing, end to end (I mean it): Auto Detailing Guide - Detailed Image

It will help you develop your skill as a detailer and you will eventually be able to polish out paint imperfections, thus saving lots of money on car maintenance.

Invest in some basic car care supplies (buckets, wash mitts, soap, clay, microfiber towels, quick detailer, etc..). Don't worry about buying everything at once. I buy my supplies from Detailed Image, they have pretty good selection and prices.

Just start getting comfortable with the washing and drying process first, and go from there.

HTH
Old 07-12-2013, 09:53 AM
obsidian3339

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!! It's a delight to drive a G. Let's hope it's the same washing it down too. Ha!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:31 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by obsidian3339
Thanks!! It's a delight to drive a G. Let's hope it's the same washing it down too. Ha!
The clear coat and the Infiniti paint in general is quite fragile (as are most current cars). You might want to follow Rochesters driving plan about staying way back from traffic going at speed, this paint will chip just by looking at it the wrong way If you don't have a clear bra installed you gotta be careful, and keep your wash sponges and drying towels immaculate, swirls and scratches are way to easy w/ this clear coat.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Collin_95

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2 bucket wash method. I love blackfire products they work really well. Like everyone else said dont use automated car washes unless its completely touchless. Some stuff may be pricey but its really worth it when it brings out the true beauty of the car after spending a few hours detailing it. Autogeek is also another good website. You'll learn more as you go(hopefully not by mistakes)
Old 07-12-2013, 12:04 PM
DONTTASEMEBRO

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
imo as long as the car wash products are ones you heard of before. I go armor all or meguiars. But I have a peculiar way of washing my car. Start off by foaming the car to rid loose dirt, then give it a gentle rubdown to prevent swirls. After that I use wash and wax on the war covering the car twice to make sure I don't miss a spot. Then rinse and leaving the car we I start claying, after claying foam it again rinse and final wash and wax then detail. whoooo its alot of work but the result is worth it )))
Old 07-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,721 Likes on 3,527 Posts
^^^
90% of Mequiar's products are awesome. (Not all, but most.) I went through a number of car wash soaps before settling on Mequiar's Deep Crystal.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:21 AM
Collin_95

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
^^^
90% of Mequiar's products are awesome. (Not all, but most.) I went through a number of car wash soaps before settling on Mequiar's Deep Crystal.
Yeah I would have to agree plus they smell good. Would you say the deep crystal is better then their wash and wax soap?

Quick Reply: First car -need advice