G37 Sedan

VDC and throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Greycat

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
VDC and throttle response

I have been experimenting with my 2012 G37x to see how hard I can push it with VDC off (on dry roads). The first thing I noticed is that it feels like the throttle response is sharper with VDC off. But as far as I know there is no logical reason turning VDC off would affect throttle response. Or is there? Any ideas? Many thanks.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:01 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
About the only reason I can think of is if you are losing traction - it may be softening throttle response until traction is regained..

OR - it's mental.

One of the two may be true
Old 06-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Greycat

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
About the only reason I can think of is if you are losing traction - it may be softening throttle response until traction is regained..

OR - it's mental.

One of the two may be true
I'm thinking it's mental. But who cares, it's fun! Thanks much.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:17 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
The parking garage where I work has a pretty sharp turn to get out of it. ive tried it with VDC on and off in my Xs sedan, and sure enough the car seems to respond better with it off.

HOWEVER, I dont think its actual throttle response....I think it was VDC "kicking in" and trying to apply brakes or whatever it does. Without it "kicking in" the wheels turn freely, enough that I can break the back end free just a little then you feel the AWD take over. There also seems to be a lag time between once VDC engages and when the car accelerates normally again. That lag time Ive experienced in every vehicle Ive driven with some form of dynamics and/or traction control.

I know its supposed to be "dynamic control" but sometimes I feel like the VDC tends to interfere with AWD. Almost like it shouldnt be on an AWD car. Luckily you can turn it off, or at least partially (does it really turn everything off?)
Old 06-30-2013, 11:11 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
It would be the throttle backing off when you start to slip (with VDC on), you don't realize when you're getting on it now & then how often you can break traction. With the VDC off it's just true acceleration, so it should feel more intense, since it is
Old 07-01-2013, 12:28 AM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
It would be the throttle backing off when you start to slip (with VDC on), you don't realize when you're getting on it now & then how often you can break traction. With the VDC off it's just true acceleration, so it should feel more intense, since it is
So true. I like to keep the VDC on, because it has saved my bacon a time or two, but damned if the powerslides with it off aren't fun.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:14 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Aside from the Power Slides, I believe the VDC system does act as a Governor to the throttle response in combination with brake applications at different wheels to keep you in the intended path. I too found that the car (my former 2010 G37X), reacted a little better with VDC OFF. Experiment with DS mode too together with VDC Off...
If you have Snow Mode, you know there is a governor applied to the throttle response for sure. In my new M37X - the Eco mode Does affect the throttle a lot. It's all in the electronics. Happy Motoring !!!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:20 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
Aside from the Power Slides, I believe the VDC system does act as a Governor to the throttle response in combination with brake applications at different wheels to keep you in the intended path. I too found that the car (my former 2010 G37X), reacted a little better with VDC OFF. Experiment with DS mode too together with VDC Off...
If you have Snow Mode, you know there is a governor applied to the throttle response for sure. In my new M37X - the Eco mode Does affect the throttle a lot. It's all in the electronics. Happy Motoring !!!
Hey Almatti, so you ended up w/ an M? Nice to see you were able to get out of your lease, got any pics, and how are you liking it?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:40 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
M? Pics or it didnt happen.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:28 AM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I tried this in my xS this morning and could not tell any difference at all.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:28 AM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My car has better throttle response with VDC off. I use it for wake the car up from time to time. Driving it with light throttle all day makes it lazy.