G37 Sedan

Help a lady out!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 11:24 PM
erical77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help a lady out!

I'm the one that does the research on what to buy, where to buy, how to get the cheapest, etc. and I need help with tires for my husband's car.

He as a 2011 G37 Sedan with the original stock tires. They need to be replaced and I just spent forever searching threads, but most people want tires for specific reasons where as he/we just need to replace with good quality tires (in Florida, so no winter tires needed). I don't want to go cheap and get crappy tires, but I also don't want to spend a fortune. He won't notice if one tire drives a little loud or is soft (or whatever terms I've read, LOL).

I keep reading about the Michelin MX?? and the Pilot something (I"m tired and don't want to go back and find the exact tires), but I honestly don't think my husband is going to notice a difference between those and the OEM (but I do know NOT to buy the same OEM tires). We are NOT "into" our cars, if you know what I mean.

Can someone please suggest a decent priced, good quality tire?

Also, he's nearing 30K miles... I know the book suggests doing way more than really needs to be done. Can someone tell me what we should do? Last time he had a major service done, I browsed this forum and he had it done at a local place (air filter, tire rotation, etc) and it was $300 cheaper than the dealer! I'd like to do the same again.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:39 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 or Pilot Super Sport

What exact model car do you have?
Old 06-22-2013, 11:44 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Performance - Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Relatively expensive.
Longevity - Michelin Primacy MXM4. More moderately priced.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:01 AM
1G372nv

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
The Pilot Super Sport worked well with my OEM rims. At just over $250 each. Good ride with no noise. Depending on driver and conditions could be short lived. GL
Old 06-23-2013, 12:35 AM
dgey1

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
if you use your car as basic transportation and want stock size tires, the only thing you'll really notice is how loud the tires are and how long they last. get a tire that has the correct speed rating, V, Z, T etc., it is stamped on the oem tire, and a UTQG rating of 300 or higher. this will last longer than the 30,000 miles you're getting... how much you wish to spend is a personal choice. everything else is about ego... harsh, but it is what it is.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:52 AM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by erical77
I'm the one that does the research on what to buy, where to buy, how to get the cheapest, etc. and I need help with tires for my husband's car.

He as a 2011 G37 Sedan with the original stock tires. They need to be replaced and I just spent forever searching threads, but most people want tires for specific reasons where as he/we just need to replace with good quality tires (in Florida, so no winter tires needed). I don't want to go cheap and get crappy tires, but I also don't want to spend a fortune. He won't notice if one tire drives a little loud or is soft (or whatever terms I've read, LOL).

I keep reading about the Michelin MX?? and the Pilot something (I"m tired and don't want to go back and find the exact tires), but I honestly don't think my husband is going to notice a difference between those and the OEM (but I do know NOT to buy the same OEM tires). We are NOT "into" our cars, if you know what I mean.

Can someone please suggest a decent priced, good quality tire?

Also, he's nearing 30K miles... I know the book suggests doing way more than really needs to be done. Can someone tell me what we should do? Last time he had a major service done, I browsed this forum and he had it done at a local place (air filter, tire rotation, etc) and it was $300 cheaper than the dealer! I'd like to do the same again.
I had the Pilot Super Sports on my car when I bought it used from the dealer. They stuck like glue and were ultra responsive but ultimately they were more a pain in the neck (and back and butt) after commuting a year with them as the ride is fairly stiff and they hunt out ridges and crowns in the crappy roads around San Jose so you definitely pay a price for the "riding on rails "effect these tires give you. They lasted about 35K and I replaced them with the Bridgestone RE760's in a plus size. Granted these tires don't have the grab the Pilot's did but there a much easier riding tire. The responsiveness is about 80% of the other tires but there much easier on my body and there much, much quieter. I've only had them about two months so I can't comment on wear but so far, id heartily recommend them
Old 06-23-2013, 02:29 AM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
My suggestion is this: go to tirerack.com, enter your car information and it will present you with many choices. My personal opinion would be to then narrow it down to 3 manufacturers: Continental, Bridgestone, and Michelin. Read up on the tires and see what fits your balance of cost, performance, and longevity.

Realize that this site has many enthusiasts on it - we will recommend great tires like the Michelin PSS. But it sounds like you may have different priorities.

Check it out - tr.com has many reviews, etc, etc..
Old 06-23-2013, 05:50 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 or Pilot Super Sport

What exact model car do you have?
+1

Price the tires at a couple of shops including mounting, balance and an alignment. Also do they offer free tire rotation if you can rotate them on your vehicle.

With those prices in hand then check the dealer parts department prices. On my old G35 I found the dealer tire prices very close to independent shop prices so I purchased mine at the dealer. Both Bridgestone and Michelin.

Keep in mind TPMS sensors need to be correctly paired to each wheel.

You sound like a good negotiator so you may do just as well at the dealer.

My wife just spent a couple of weeks haggling prices at three different Nissan dealers.

She took the cheapest price back to the dealer where she purchased her vehicle and they beat the best price she had from another dealer. They looked up her service record and gave a better price based on that.

Then I got involved and gave them my VPP code so they cam down some more.

She gets her new 2013 Altima SV on Tuesday

Telcoman
Old 06-23-2013, 05:17 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a 2010 non-sport G37 that I just replaced the tires on, after doing some research.
The Tire Rack is a good site to compare tires and prices. It also has reviews from owners to help you make a better decision.
I also live in Florida and have an SUV, if I have to travel north in the winter months, so I was not interested in all season tires for the G.
The ones I chose were BF Goodrich, G-Force Sport Comp-2's.
They were reasonable as far as price, have a longer thread life then the original tires and give the car better handling and braking.

Here is a link where you can read the reviews,surveys,etc.
http://www.tirerack.com
Tom

Last edited by movinon; 06-23-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:42 PM
ErikM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Michelin Primacy MXM4, Bridgestone Potenza RE970, Continental Extreme Contact DWS.. V Rated is fine.. and buy them from The Tire Rack pretty much the best tire prices around.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by ErikM
Michelin Primacy MXM4, Bridgestone Potenza RE970, Continental Extreme Contact DWS.. V Rated is fine.. and buy them from The Tire Rack pretty much the best tire prices around.
...and have them drop-shipped to the shop doing the work.

/fixed
Old 06-24-2013, 03:46 PM
grojas112
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I just bought the Continental Extreme Contact DWS for my 2010 G37. I am happy with the tires. In my opinion the Continental's are one of the best all season tires.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:51 PM
zubi82

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can never go wrong with a Michelin. As for getting a good deal. I usually use TireRack.com you can shop all the major brands there and see reviews for all of them. And they typically have the cheapest prices. I usually pick out a tire form there website and either have them shipped to a local tire shop or just have one of the local shops match the price.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:32 PM
Yan141

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
i have 4 michelin 245/50/17 all season mx4 for sale. pm me you number ill send some pix for you.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:01 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I run Michelin's on my Porsche but there are many cheaper tires that are very good and will be long lasting. Do some research on Tire rack, on Discount tires etc. I do not run Michelins on my Z nor did I on my G.

Quick Reply: Help a lady out!