G37 Sedan

My car hydroplane on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 07:11 AM
2012G37
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
My car hydroplane on the highway

Last night while traveling home in the rain, I was saying to my self not sure if I should be traveling with the flow of traffic, because I had a feeling that my tires were going not slip. Within 2secs, I felt the back end give away. I was on the fast lane. I'm not sure y, but had my car in DS mode in the rain. Smh. As I started to slide to the right, I started to turn the wheel as fast as I can due to traffic near me. I didn't wanna hit anyone due to my error, so I spun about 3-4 times, slamed into the guard rail once or twice in the front end , and was able to roll it from left lane to right lane breakdown lane. (Pics coming soon). After rescue crew and state trooper check me out, I was able to drive home, 30miles. An alignment of the wheel was pulling the car. Oh , no injury to me nor did the air bag deploy.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:31 AM
JaxG

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like you turned the wheel the wrong way trying to correct it. Glad you werent injured.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:48 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
What tires? What condition? What are your alignment specs? What travel speed?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:11 AM
Fico

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me, but I was in D had snow mode on and I have AWD. I was going 55 around a bend on the highway, I managed not to hit anyone but did about 10k to the car (no airbags either). glad to hear your safe!
Old 06-14-2013, 08:31 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
When someone hydroplanes in the rain....it is usually because you are either

1) Going way too fast for the conditions
2) Your tires are near bald
3) Both

But then....sometimes....it truly is nature against you and you run over a massive puddle at high speed while on the accelerator....which can truly cause a vehicle to lose its composure, and if traction control is not quick enough....and the driver is not skilled enough..... to correct the situation.....well, thats when disaster strikes.

Best of luck to you in repairing your vehicle bud.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:50 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
My first Nissan, in the late 80's, came with some new Bridgestones that were horrendous in the rain. They would hydroplane, at hwy speed limits, while other motorists cruised along with no apparent issues at all. Sometimes it's poor tire design.
That said, more details from the OP would be helpful. I never had any hydroplaning with the OEM GY tires on my 07 G35x or BS tires on my 11 G37S.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:53 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Glad you're doing okay. Had a similar experience as you (not a G.) I think i hit an oil patch of some sort as just out of the blue the car slid to the right from 2 of 4 lanes, i nearly went off the road towards a highway light pole (one of those 60ft tall ones of pure metal), managed to counter-steer but all it did was drift the car sideways and across 4 highway lanes to the other side where i finally managed to get traction in a wide grassy median.

It felt so slo-mo the entire time, with headlights coming at me from what seemed like all directions. This was at night.

Scary, but i'm glad someone up there was looking after me and everyone around.

Check your tires and alignment, make sure both are well within spec.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:10 AM
daonlyillwiz

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
[QUOTE=chilibowl;3641960]When someone hydroplanes in the rain....it is usually because you are either

1) Going way too fast for the conditions
2) Your tires are near bald
2.5) Driving like an idiot on the fast lane where water usually accumulates around the manholes with bald tires in DS mode.
3) All of the above

Fixed^

People who dirve like you are a hazard to others on the road and to your selves. Theres a reason why everyone piles up on the middle lane(s) and thats because there is typically no puddles in the middle. Most of the time you will have puddles on the outerlanes and thats why they are empty.

you made 2 mistakes:
1: driving on the outerlane when you were obviously not experienced enough to do so (in rainy conditions)
2: you tried to correct the wheel while hydroplaning
- you should never correct the wheel when you hydroplane because when you hydroplane your car is basically floating on water so if you turn the wheel right it has no effect BUT once the tire touches the road again it will catch traction and throw you in the direction you are turning...just a little fyi.

But good thing you were ok and able to drive home
Old 06-14-2013, 09:59 AM
imdbd

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
crazy enough as it sounds, the same thing happened to me in a '12 grand cherokee. chilibowl and daonlyillwiz are right, usually going too fast in the rain will make a car hydroplane, i learned that well in the jeep, it was scary as ****, lol. I was able to make it out unscathed by pumping the brakes and hold the wheel straight (IME, could happen to others differently.)

lately it's been raining a lot where i live and now minor flooding has become a lot more common...so i've been driving my sedan slowly in D with snow mode on in the middle lane of parkways or the center most lanes on regular roads...

glad to hear you're okay...ya live and and ya learn
Old 06-14-2013, 10:02 AM
2012G37
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
You guys are right too fast in bad condition, my tires are stock with 34k miles on them. I don't know why I going that fast but I knew I had to slow down due to a inner feeling. As for the comments for making a bad decision on turning the wheel, I think I made the right move. I'm no expert, but I knew I was going to hit another car on the right lane if I did nothing. When I hit the rail I basically slid the front end bumper on it. I think I handled it pretty well cause it could have been much worst.

Last edited by 2012G37; 06-14-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:28 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
^^We still don't know which tires you're running. There's 3 or 4 different 'stock' tires in use depending on the model of G37.

Years ago, had a similar crash in my camaro. Hit the guard rail twice. Back corner hit first, then front corner on the same side. I'm sure the back hit first because the steering wheel got bent into a potato chip shape. This was with goodyear eagle rsa's (245/50/16) with a good 60-70% tread remaining. Pure trash of a tire in any size IMO.

Earlier this month, I drove through the mountains of CO in the rain (ambient temp ~60F) with the RE050A's (stock sedan sizes, ~9K miles on them at that point). No issues of hydroplaning, but then again, I was extremely cautious with the throttle. Coming from a 2 wheel background, no sudden speed or directional changes, kept the speed down too. You lose it on a 2 lane mountain road, there's no guard rail to catch you The white knuckle moments came later when driving through Vail and other surrounding areas in a snow shower (~38F), it wasn't sticking, but the road was cold and wet --- WITH SUMMER TIRES!

Glad the OP is ok, probably a good idea to get checked out anyways. I had a very sore neck few days after the camaro incident. Had a nice bruise on the forehead from hitting the door glass.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:40 AM
daonlyillwiz

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by imdbd
crazy enough as it sounds, the same thing happened to me in a '12 grand cherokee. chilibowl and daonlyillwiz are right, usually going too fast in the rain will make a car hydroplane, i learned that well in the jeep, it was scary as ****, lol. I was able to make it out unscathed by pumping the brakes and hold the wheel straight (IME, could happen to others differently.)

lately it's been raining a lot where i live and now minor flooding has become a lot more common...so i've been driving my sedan slowly in D with snow mode on in the middle lane of parkways or the center most lanes on regular roads...

glad to hear you're okay...ya live and and ya learn

I would have **** my pants if that happened to me in a jeep lol..my wife drives a 5.7L Hemi overland jeep and that thing handles like a blue whale..
Old 06-14-2013, 10:59 AM
John B

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I think tires play the most important part because it doesn't seem as if he was traveling excessive, the stock Bridgestone Potenzas have given me more confidence in the Nashville nasty weather than I've ever had. I had some Yokohomas on my Altima I had a while back and when new till time to replace was horrible in the rain or moist conditions. I swear I will never by a set of Yokohomas again.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:58 AM
ErikM

34K on OEM tires.. best guess is maybe 3mm of tread depth. 2mm is wear bars and more than done as far as I'm concerned.. 4mm is when I replace.. earlier if going into winter. Hydroplanning is a simple matter of phyciscs.. tire can not evacuate enough water for the conditions and the tire rides up on a plane or sheet of water..Some tires certainly suck more than others.. I'm not a big fan of the Dunlops that came stock on my 13.. I'll replace them before winter.. It's a simple matter economics, costs way less to replace tires than to pay my insurance deductable :-)

As for the Op I'm not going to rag him, he learned a lesson.. The Single Most Important Safety item on a car is it's tires.. Period.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:59 AM
imdbd

Originally Posted by 2012G37
You guys are right too fast in bad condition, my tires are stock with 34k miles on them. I don't know why I going that fast but I knew I had to slow down due to a inner feeling. As for the comments for making a bad decision on turning the wheel, I think I made the right move. I'm no expert, but I knew I was going to hit another car on the right lane if I did nothing. When I hit the rail I basically slid the front end bumper on it. I think I handled it pretty well cause it could have been much worst.
hey man, you did what you had to do to get out of it okay and you did, cheers to that

Quick Reply: My car hydroplane on the highway