G37 Sedan

It's June already, not a single review for Q50?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 04:09 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by ErikM
Maybe Whiners was a little strong.. but jeez one guy said "That front end looks hideous. There I said it. It has more stying cues with the Pontiac Aztek than the G37"

Really an Aztec..come on.. Hideous..that's a little stong don't you think.. Anyway folks will be able to vote for the new car soon.. with their wallets.. I suspect it will handedly out sell the current car.. Infiniti has never had stellar sales numbers, and I for one will be thrilled when the new car is a big success !
I wouldn't call it hideous, nor would I ever associate anything that Infiniti has ever done w/ that debacle-of-all-debacles Aztek.

I was hoping they'd tighten up the interior quality and they seem to have done that.

I just wish they'd have more continuity w/ the current styling, as I've loved the styling of the G ever since its' inception. I'm not at all liking the new IS front, looks way over the top and the Q is quite similar in its' boldness, not too far from the Hyundai Veloster styling cues. Like I said I thought the current styling of the M would grow on me but it still looks a bit off, especially the bulbous front end.
I am looking forward to seeing it in person, especially a black S, I'm keeping an open mind, so we'll see
Old 06-08-2013, 04:22 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
are you forgetting that this forum is not a democracy? if you're not drinking the koolaid, you're not part of the in crowd.
That is not true. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion and talk about it freely given they don't break any forum rules in the process. Goes without saying though, if you state your opinion in a nonconstructive manner, don't expect very positive responses.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:24 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan
If you're gonna go way out to left field with the styling to the point that's it's gimmicky then you better improve what's under the hood and they failed miserably. Having the same engine and tranny with a new model where those 2 things were considered long in the tooth with the G37 is really risky.

Why would the a G37 owner buy a Q50? A good portion will find the G37 better looking and more classy, some might disagree like you but a good portion of these owners will not like me and many others. The only thing that could sway me is a new engine and tranny. Tech toys aren't gonna do it, those appeal to the 20 something buyers who are not the main demographic for this car. And all these tech toys that are viable now will be available in the next gen family sedan from Toyota or Honda in a few years while the Q50 is still in the middle of it's model run so the modern tech will not be very unique in a couple of years. For luxury sedans your bread and butter is sophisticated looks and driving refinement and the Q50 appears to not be up to the task with a dated engine and tranny and hyper styling that blends in with every other car and has no signature look.

That exterior styling is polarizing and a lot of buyers go by the looks. The Acura TL offered improvements mechanically and tech wise that dwarfed the prior TL but sales tanked because people did not like the look of it especially compared to the handsome model they had previously and looked too gimmicky. So what does the Q50 offer to those who aren't crazy about the looks? Engine? No. Driving dynamics? Apparently not. So they're hanging their hat with nerd tech. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. If tech toys, stronger engine and driving dynamics didn't do it for Acura then only having tech improvements won't do it for Infiniti which doesn't have the brand loyalty and cache of BMW, Mercedes and Audi to fall back on. I honestly expect a sales disaster for the Q50 but I sure hope not because I think the G37 filled an important niche in the entry luxury market.
I happen to like the styling. I felt the same as the G37 as you feel about the Q50. First thought it was ugly and unbalanced...but it grew on me.

As far as the VQ36 it's a workhorse. It may not be on Wards 10 Best for 2013, but it accomplishes the job and in a very nice manner. And Infiniti is releasing a new engine/drivetrain on the Q50. How many new engines for one model did you expect them to release at the get-go? And then there is the talk about the new Mercedes turbo engine and a new IPL edition.

Additionally, how do you know the driving dynamics haven't changed? To my knowledge there has not been a review/comparison by any person or magazine of the Q50...much less comparing it to the G. Infiniti claims they tweaked the suspension...so there may be some positive changes in the driving dynamics.

You're right, it doesn't have the cache of some of the German competition, but that doesn't mean it's a flop. And if it is a flop, I'll move on the Acura, BMW or whatever. When Infiniti fixes itself...maybe I'll come back.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:28 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Max00
^^^ You did all the guess works, we have known nothing yet. There are 2 possibilities that I can think of why is Infiniti holding back press reviews.

1. The new car is too good compares to the outgoing G which still has a large inventory to clear out. Any raving reviews of the new car will destroy sales of the older car.

2. The new car is an awfully plain performer, so better keep it quiet from scaring away early adopters who they are able to charge a premium on.

Seriously, if Q50 is really that much better than G37, it would have enough power to conquer the market as the G37 is an awesome car to begin with. Lexus, BMW, Audi, would be afraid, very afraid.
If #2 is really the case, Ghosen should immediately fire the Infiniti management team. After all this time to come up with new line of vehicles that is "worse" than the outgoing models?
Old 06-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
are you forgetting that this forum is not a democracy? if you're not drinking the koolaid, you're not part of the in crowd.
The in-crowd is over-rated. Always. Everywhere.

But you're right that no forum is a democracy. In fact, car forum Mods can be real pompous jerks sometimes... although I have to say that doesn't seem the case around here. I think maybe the overall crowd is older than your average "drop your ride" fanboy. They certainly have a little more money to toss around. Patience, too.

Give it about 5 more years to devolve. In the meantime, enjoy the grown ups in the room.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:56 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
If #2 is really the case, Ghosen should immediately fire the Infiniti management team. After all this time to come up with new line of vehicles that is "worse" than the outgoing models?
Not necessarily being "worse", I am sure they will receive a lot of "boo"s being equal or just a tad better. But if Ghosen really had that much influence to how Infiniti operate, it was a fail on Nysschen's part as his goal is to make Infiniti an independent company, at least in decision making process, just like the success that Audi was built on.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:43 AM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VQHRLover
I wouldn't be surprised if the 6MT came with AWD or RWD.. The R34 uses the same ATTESSA system as our car and it was a 6MT. Now Hybrid AWD 6MT is probably never going to happen, but we can always dream :P lol
Seeing that the drive train is same as the G37.
I'm expecting the same treatment, 6MT on RWD only.

I'm not positive that Infiniti will step up to offer that as the Q50 is more geared toward luxury than performance.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:59 AM
kanariya

Originally Posted by ilyas
It's pretty funny that most people on forums usually hate on new models - but most of you will end up changing your minds in 6 months and drooling over the Q50, and half of you will end up buying a Q50.

Yesterday, I saw a black sport package Q50 with black painted stock wheels testing in Michigan. At first I thought it was a lowered/modified M, but then up close I realized that it's just a stock Q50. The car looked amazing. I'm going to order one once we hear more about a potential performance model.
Just want to check if the Acura guys are now drooling over the new TL?
Sometimes when a car looks ugly, it will remain ugly.

The Q50 is a lot better than the TL though.

For me, overall design ranking,

Audi>MB>BMW>Infiniti>Cadillac>Lexus>Acura
Old 06-09-2013, 03:55 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Although I'm not thrilled about the new styling, I'm going to give Infiniti the benefit of the doubt on the performance department for 2 years. Maybe, just maybe, they will release a mid cycle update like they did on the G35/G37. But as of now, it's nothing to get a boner about.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:02 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by kanariya

Ranking is pretty dead-on from my opinion too, although I'd insert Jaguar after MB, those F-Types are beautiful! Lexus seems to be losing its' styling mind, it may take over Acuras' spot in the near future. Cadillacs' styling is very simplistic but overly so IMO. I like simple lines but accentuated w/ curves along the way, Cadillacs' design mantra seems to be "what can we design w/ chrome & a straightedge".
Old 06-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by kanariya

That's a good game. Here's my ranking for overall design:

MB > Infiniti > Lexus > Acura > BMW > Audi > Cadillac

Although the ground rules are vague... so I'll weight that assessment based on appearance, performance, and image as it compares to the $50k market. In other words:

1. The presence and visual design of a Mercedes.
2. The power-to-value aspect of an Infiniti.
3. The elegant interior of a Lexus.
4. The reliability and mechanical excellence of an Acura.
5. ...and then the rest.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-09-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:29 AM
kanariya

Originally Posted by blnewt
Ranking is pretty dead-on from my opinion too, although I'd insert Jaguar after MB, those F-Types are beautiful! Lexus seems to be losing its' styling mind, it may take over Acuras' spot in the near future. Cadillacs' styling is very simplistic but overly so IMO. I like simple lines but accentuated w/ curves along the way, Cadillacs' design mantra seems to be "what can we design w/ chrome & a straightedge".
I agree Jaguar after MB. the xj is a very nice looking car
Old 06-09-2013, 11:31 AM
kanariya

Originally Posted by Rochester

Although the ground rules are vague... so I'll weight that assessment based on appearance, performance, and image as it compares to the $50k market. In other words:

5. ...and then the rest.
my ranking was based on purely exterior and interior design
Old 06-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
I remember way back, that the Edsel failed because it was sort of in between the Ford and Mercury so there was no market for it. With the Q50 in between the G37 sedan and the M, Infiniti may run into the same problem.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:16 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

5. ...and then the rest.
My rankings for both exterior and interior design:

Infiniti > Audi > BMW > Lexus > Acura > Mercedes > Cadillac

I like the progressive design and emotional tone embodied by Infiniti. Both Audi and Infiniti play down the mechanical side, yet Infiniti offers greater value and durability than Audi.

Quick Reply: It's June already, not a single review for Q50?