G37 Sedan

It's June already, not a single review for Q50?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 09:44 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan
That front end looks hideous. There I said it. It has more stying cues with the Pontiac Aztek than the G37.

The more I see of this car the less I like it. It just looks so disjointed and out of proportion. Looking more and more like Infiniti pulled an Acura TL type **** up by totally turfing a beautiful design rather than expanding on it. Instead it looks like something a Transformer would crap out of his butt after getting traveler's diarrhea. At least Acura improved the engine and handling, all Infiniti seems to have offered is little techie toys that the vast majority of it's customer base could care less about. I fear what the coupe is gonna look like because they'll want to make that even louder.
Agree w/ everything except the Transformer diarrhea, it's like they really wanted to make a statement by going too far away from what has made the G such an enduring beauty. Really a shame they had to jump on the "look at me" front styling cues that seem to have infected the IS and a few others like Sniper mentioned.

I suppose they're trying to attract fresh interest in the Infiniti brand but going too far may very well alienate their most loyal customers.
Time will tell.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:52 PM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VQHRLover
I believe that the 6mt is only coming for the G37 Coupe or Q60 as they now call it. That was one of the questions I asked. Total bummer but I guess ill be switching from my '12 to the Q60 or an S4. Q60 AWD Hybrid 6MT??

Hope so. :P
I don't think you should expect an AWD 6MT, nor Hybrid 6MT.
Logically 6MT would be RWD only.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:52 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan
That front end looks hideous. There I said it. It has more stying cues with the Pontiac Aztek than the G37.

The more I see of this car the less I like it. It just looks so disjointed and out of proportion. Looking more and more like Infiniti pulled an Acura TL type **** up by totally turfing a beautiful design rather than expanding on it. Instead it looks like something a Transformer would crap out of his butt after getting traveler's diarrhea. At least Acura improved the engine and handling, all Infiniti seems to have offered is little techie toys that the vast majority of it's customer base could care less about. I fear what the coupe is gonna look like because they'll want to make that even louder.
i happen to like the q50. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

As far as the tech toys, there have been rumblings on the forums that electronics on the g were not as advanced as Acuras. Now that Infiniti upped the ante on the electronics there is grumbling about tech toys the customer base cannot care about. Actually I care about the exterior and interior updates.

It just proves the old adage, you cant please everybody.

Last edited by g37guy01; 06-07-2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: speling
Old 06-07-2013, 06:40 PM
VQHRLover
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kanariya
I don't think you should expect an AWD 6MT, nor Hybrid 6MT.
Logically 6MT would be RWD only.
I wouldn't be surprised if the 6MT came with AWD or RWD.. The R34 uses the same ATTESSA system as our car and it was a 6MT. Now Hybrid AWD 6MT is probably never going to happen, but we can always dream :P lol
Old 06-07-2013, 07:10 PM
gbest03

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Agree w/ everything except the Transformer diarrhea, it's like they really wanted to make a statement by going too far away from what has made the G such an enduring beauty. Really a shame they had to jump on the "look at me" front styling cues that seem to have infected the IS and a few others like Sniper mentioned.

I suppose they're trying to attract fresh interest in the Infiniti brand but going too far may very well alienate their most loyal customers.
Time will tell.
I have to agree on the styling issue.
I see FX35's and QX56's on the road, and they are starting to resemble Japanese Buicks.
I had an 06 FX, nice clean lines, now they wear makeup.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:38 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
i happen to like the q50. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

As far as the tech toys, there have been rumblings on the forums that electronics on the g were not as advanced as Acuras. Now that Infiniti upped the ante on the electronics there is grumbling about tech toys the customer base cannot care about. Actually I care about the exterior and interior updates.

It just proves the old adage, you cant please everybody.
If you're gonna go way out to left field with the styling to the point that's it's gimmicky then you better improve what's under the hood and they failed miserably. Having the same engine and tranny with a new model where those 2 things were considered long in the tooth with the G37 is really risky.

Why would the a G37 owner buy a Q50? A good portion will find the G37 better looking and more classy, some might disagree like you but a good portion of these owners will not like me and many others. The only thing that could sway me is a new engine and tranny. Tech toys aren't gonna do it, those appeal to the 20 something buyers who are not the main demographic for this car. And all these tech toys that are viable now will be available in the next gen family sedan from Toyota or Honda in a few years while the Q50 is still in the middle of it's model run so the modern tech will not be very unique in a couple of years. For luxury sedans your bread and butter is sophisticated looks and driving refinement and the Q50 appears to not be up to the task with a dated engine and tranny and hyper styling that blends in with every other car and has no signature look.

That exterior styling is polarizing and a lot of buyers go by the looks. The Acura TL offered improvements mechanically and tech wise that dwarfed the prior TL but sales tanked because people did not like the look of it especially compared to the handsome model they had previously and looked too gimmicky. So what does the Q50 offer to those who aren't crazy about the looks? Engine? No. Driving dynamics? Apparently not. So they're hanging their hat with nerd tech. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. If tech toys, stronger engine and driving dynamics didn't do it for Acura then only having tech improvements won't do it for Infiniti which doesn't have the brand loyalty and cache of BMW, Mercedes and Audi to fall back on. I honestly expect a sales disaster for the Q50 but I sure hope not because I think the G37 filled an important niche in the entry luxury market.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:05 AM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
... all the tech and they forgot cooled seats and folding mirrors and front parking sensors. whatever tech they added they're still behind.
Maybe the 2015 will get those options.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:39 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by RYs06MT
... all the tech and they forgot cooled seats and folding mirrors and front parking sensors. whatever tech they added they're still behind.
Maybe the 2015 will get those options.
Has around view monitor so front corners only hav e sensors.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:30 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 152 Likes on 125 Posts

Time will tell.
Originally Posted by gbest03
I have to agree on the styling issue.
I see FX35's and QX56's on the road, and they are starting to resemble Japanese Buicks.
I had an 06 FX, nice clean lines, now they wear makeup.
I agree on regarding that Infiniti has gone a little too far with their designs to attract new buyers.
I purchased a 2003 FX35 because of their non cookie cutter design and glad that they actually produced a vehicle that almost 100% resembled the prototype...I was complimented on it several times that there was nothing else on the road like it!
I soon traded it in for a 2007 FX35 knowing that the redesign will be just around the corner. Hearing rumors that it would be more "shark" like, that deterred me from waiting...I still find the 2006-2008 exterior design better, but love the 2009+ interior!
I don't care for the current FX exterior design and decided on either a M37 or G37.
So from my past experience, I got myself into a 2013 G37xS and didn't want to wait for the redesigned 2014 G (Q50)...glad I did.

As time passes and there are actual Q50s on the road...my mind might change.
I might be behind the wheel of a 2017 Q50S!
Old 06-08-2013, 08:40 AM
ilyas

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's pretty funny that most people on forums usually hate on new models - but most of you will end up changing your minds in 6 months and drooling over the Q50, and half of you will end up buying a Q50.

Yesterday, I saw a black sport package Q50 with black painted stock wheels testing in Michigan. At first I thought it was a lowered/modified M, but then up close I realized that it's just a stock Q50. The car looked amazing. I'm going to order one once we hear more about a potential performance model.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:47 AM
ErikM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I find the whiners hilarious.. It's always the same on every forum, car , bike, boats, planes.. new model comes out people whine and whine before even having driven the new model.. there's those that are complining about the performance.. 328hp.. change the gearing and boom better acceration.. 7speed tranny.. anyone looked inside? could be numerous refinments (my 13 7sp is fine) All new body folks.. that means better structural ridgity, and lower NVH..That also means the car will handle better, less body flex, new suspension bits.. How about the engine?? could be numerous internal changes.. anyone have one apart to see?? There are many performance areas that can be improved.. but without having driven one how can you form an educated opionion.. The only thing that's valid is if one is a luddite and just hates change and hates the new look then more power to you.. personally I always thought the current car looked a bit bloated, too tall, and not wide enough.. I also think the car looks a bit weird from certain angles... I've owned three G's and I've always looked past it's looks since they are a good value and drive great.. I think the new one will be a winner.. I like the looks way better, the tech is nice and I suspect the chassis and overall performance will be markedly better..But hey that's my my opinion.. as valid or not as anyones :-)
Old 06-08-2013, 01:16 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
^^^ You did all the guess works, we have known nothing yet. There are 2 possibilities that I can think of why is Infiniti holding back press reviews.

1. The new car is too good compares to the outgoing G which still has a large inventory to clear out. Any raving reviews of the new car will destroy sales of the older car.

2. The new car is an awfully plain performer, so better keep it quiet from scaring away early adopters who they are able to charge a premium on.

Seriously, if Q50 is really that much better than G37, it would have enough power to conquer the market as the G37 is an awesome car to begin with. Lexus, BMW, Audi, would be afraid, very afraid.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:10 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by ErikM
I find the whiners hilarious..
So anyone that doesn't care for the latest offering is a whiner? C'mon, it's just a difference of opinion, or are we not allowed to have that around here anymore?

There's quite a bit that I like, the side profile looks really nice, interior is looking better than ever, and the oem wheels look more in line w/ a $40k car. That front end just yells at me, and not in a good way. I found the current M front end to be out of proportion w/ the rest of the car and IMO this new Q even more so. OK, I'm done whining
Old 06-08-2013, 02:37 PM
ErikM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Maybe Whiners was a little strong.. but jeez one guy said "That front end looks hideous. There I said it. It has more stying cues with the Pontiac Aztek than the G37"

Really an Aztec..come on.. Hideous..that's a little stong don't you think.. Anyway folks will be able to vote for the new car soon.. with their wallets.. I suspect it will handedly out sell the current car.. Infiniti has never had stellar sales numbers, and I for one will be thrilled when the new car is a big success !

So anyone that doesn't care for the latest offering is a whiner? C'mon, it's just a difference of opinion, or are we not allowed to have that around here anymore?

There's quite a bit that I like, the side profile looks really nice, interior is looking better than ever, and the oem wheels look more in line w/ a $40k car. That front end just yells at me, and not in a good way. I found the current M front end to be out of proportion w/ the rest of the car and IMO this new Q even more so. OK, I'm done whining
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (06-08-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 03:26 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
are you forgetting that this forum is not a democracy? if you're not drinking the koolaid, you're not part of the in crowd.

Quick Reply: It's June already, not a single review for Q50?