G37 Sedan

Just bought used (CPO) 2011 G37 Journey

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 11:38 PM
wquiles

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just bought used (CPO) 2011 G37 Journey

I had a 2011 Civic Si (sedan) with 22K miles, but after 2 and 1/2 years I wanted something quieter and nicer on the highway now that I am driving more highway miles to my new job. I also wanted a larger car as my young kids are getting bigger, getting into Scouts/camping/soccer/sports/etc, so I have been shopping for the last month or so for something bigger, quieter, and with a nicer/softer ride.

My wife has a 2010 Acura TL that she loves, so I started looking at Acuras first. Since I liked the gas economy I got from the Civic Si, I initially started to test drive a couple TSX's, and although they felt great, the TSX still felt a tad small (compared to the TL), and the 4-cyl only felt great with the 6-sp manual which is nearly impossible to find. I found the 4-cyl and the auto tranny completely unacceptable: too many shifts, and felt like it always had to downshift at the slightest pedal press. Totally subjective, I know, but I don't understand how/why they sell so many 4-cyl auto TSX's - I could not see myself driving one at all.

So I basically gave up on the 4-cyl and its economy, and I started looking for another TL, but during my updated research I came across many reviews/comparisons against the G35 and the newer G37. I must admit that I initially (when we got my wife's TL) felt the G37's were too expensive, but after reading/studying on the G37, I decided I should at least test drive the G37 before continuing my search for another TL. I very briefly also consider the smaller engine variant (G25), but based on reviews on how the gas economy was not that much better (plus lower resale values, plus being discontinued), I decided to concentrate in the G37.

I test drove the 2011 G37 Journey with the Nav package (CPO with 33K miles), and I liked it a lot. They also had a Sport package/version, but coming from the Si's firm suspension, I wanted a more supple ride (similar to the TL), plus it was more money than I wanted to spend (and they had higher miles). I also briefly looked at the M35/M37 CPO's, and although very, very nice, those were outside my budget.

Both the TL and the G37 are great cars, but they also very different in many ways - very subjective to pick one over the other, but I liked the G37 I test drove, it just felt "right" for me both on city and highway traffic. I know some folks complain about the auto tranny in the G37, and although it is not quite as "perfect" as the one in the TL, I felt the tranny was very good. I have since then driven the car a couple more days, and I still feel the same way - the tranny feels good. My wife also drove the G37 today and although "different" than her TL, she also liked G37.

So I traded the Civic and drove home with our first Infiniti:

Any tips/suggestions with the "new to me" G37?

Will

Last edited by wquiles; 06-03-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:47 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Congratulations, that was an excellent choice.
Welcome to the forum, there are alot of help here if needed.
Enjoy the car. Get used to the new set up, then start the modding process.
If you do, basic bolt ons with uprev tune car is a totally different machine.
Good luck to both you & your wife, your gonna have this car will grow on you as you get more seat time.,
Old 06-03-2013, 11:02 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Congrats & welcome to the site. I'm sure you're liking the power & performance upgrade form your Honda. One of the first things I'd look to improve are the very mismatched OEM tires. If yours is equipped w/ Goodyear RS-As these tires are meant for your old Honda )
You should be very happy you didn't look too hard at the G25, not much mpg savings for the drastic decline in power.

Looks like a clean G you picked out, have fun & start searching the site, there's so much info over here, and we're here to help (separate your money from your wallet )
Old 06-03-2013, 07:46 PM
wquiles

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you guys. The aftermarket for the G-cars was certainly a factor that also biased my decision away from the TL