G37 Sedan

new G37X owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 05:36 PM
perdido34

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
new G37X owner

I recently traded in my 2010 Audi A4 for a 2013 G37x sedan (premium and nav packages), and it's a big improvement. The steering has lots of road feel and seems very precise, much like the 2010 3-series I tested but didn't buy. The radio has better sound quality. The nav system functions better in every way, and I like the touchscreen keyboard (big improvement over twiddling Audi's **** and clicking on letters around a circle). Although the Audi's interior is more elegant and stylish, the G's is a lot more user-friendly. It's very easy to modulate the gas pedal (unlike that of the 2010 G35 that I tested but didn't buy). The Audi brakes were always grabby, but the G's allow me to coast to a completely smooth stop every time.

The Audi beats the G on a few points: First, gas mileage is likely better (I routinely got 35 mpg on straight highway trips). Second, the engine ROAR in the G is deafening and rough when you want power. Third, the Audi has a larger trunk with fold-down rear seats AND nice plastic hooks on the top for hanging your grocery bags. But all in all, the G is more fun to drive, and I'm still babying the engine during break-in.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:16 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Welcome to the site, sounds like a nice G you picked out.
At 35mpg hwy the A4 kicks the G in gas mileage. I think you'll find better rear seat room in the G and a lot better acceleration. Don't worry too much during break in, just don't use your cruise control as you don't want to keep your rpms in one place too long, but no need to baby it either.
Have fun!
Old 05-25-2013, 04:02 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
welcome to the club.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:29 PM
perdido34

Originally Posted by blnewt
Welcome to the site, sounds like a nice G you picked out.
At 35mpg hwy the A4 kicks the G in gas mileage. I think you'll find better rear seat room in the G and a lot better acceleration. Don't worry too much during break in, just don't use your cruise control as you don't want to keep your rpms in one place too long, but no need to baby it either.
Have fun!
Definitely better acceleration--probably a second and a half faster to 60 mph without going over 4000 RPM (which the manual says is a no-no prior to 1200 miles). I have no problem with being patient for 1200 miles and having my fun later on.

I forgot to mention that the buying experience was painless. BIG contrast with my Audi experience, where the salesperson seemed very scattered and not that interested in helping me. And the service experience at that dealership (now owned by Penske) has been poor--car not ready when I arrive, 25-minute wait for the promised free loaner, having the oil over-filled and needing another 30-minute trip back to the dealer, etc. I'm hoping the Infiniti dealer does better.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Ryno23

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Welcome man!
Old 05-25-2013, 11:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by perdido34
the engine ROAR in the G is deafening and rough when you want power.
A deafening roar? I wish.

Not with the stock airboxes and exhaust, it doesn't.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:25 AM
1G372nv

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Congrats on your new G and welcome to the Family! I also have a Audi A4 that serves me well being its a Quattro and the weather gets crazy around here often. And its a 4Dr so a little easier with infant. But other than that my G is better in everyway. The more you drive it the more you're gonna love it especially when you quit babying the beast. Lol.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:28 AM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome to the G37 community! You either love G37, or you are wrong.
I used to have a 2009 G37X that was rear ended and totaled by a someone that was not paying attention. While considering a replacement vehicle, I briefly looked at the Germans, with A4/A6/S4 being the primary candidates, but came back to my senses (pain medicine that they gave me after the accident wore off), and promptly got into 2013 G37xS. Not much of a difference, but I am happy again. I think you will be happy with your G.
It is interesting to read about your comparison of A4, especially the sound system quality. I would expect Audi to have a much higher quality system than Infiniti, surprised that you like Infiniti’s better, but good! Audi in general looks very clean and elegant, and I think others have noted that they use higher quality materials than Infiniti. Does Audi really not have a (very expensive) touch screen option for their Navi?

Don’t get me wrong – I dig Audis and the way they look, but Infiniti is a perfect car for me personally in terms of value and perf. But I wanted to weight in on your observations on where Audi wins:
- Gas mileage – not very important to me. If I cared that much I would buy an econobox / beige commuting appliance.
- Engine noise – not an issue
- Larger trunk – G may not be the best option if this is your only car and you have to go to Home Depot from time to time. I agree foldable seats would be nice, but not having them is not a huge issue for me. We also have an SUV (JX35) for hauling people and stuff. Dealer-provided cargo net works OK for me for hauling grocery bags.

Regarding babying the engine - did that to my 2009 G, used only ester oil, recently completed break-in on my 2013. Though many people will tell you that break-in is not needed, I would still do it just to be safe.

Again, welcome to the forum, I think you will find a very supportive an informative community here. Enjoy your new ride!
Old 05-26-2013, 07:37 AM
MyBeast

Welcome to the club, enjoy ur new whip
Old 05-26-2013, 10:33 AM
G4FSR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the club
Nice engine roar but definitely not deafening.
I wish it is.
Enjoy your new car
Old 05-26-2013, 04:22 PM
perdido34

Originally Posted by FourT2
Does Audi really not have a (very expensive) touch screen option for their Navi?
I don't think the A4 has this yet (other Audi models do). The only way to select anything is by twiddling a job and pushing a button. Imagine trying to input an address by rotating the dial to select letters arranged in a circle==takes forever.

The Audis do retain the hard-drive "music box" feature that the G37's lost. They also have two SD card slots for either playing mp3 files or as a source for copying these files onto the hard drive. I used it maybe twice in four years...

You can buy an interface for plugging in your iPhone or USB device, but the device will be in the glove compartment where you can't reach it.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:31 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 152 Likes on 125 Posts
Welcome to the G Family!

Originally Posted by Rochester
A deafening roar? I wish.

Not with the stock airboxes and exhaust, it doesn't.
That really depends on what vehicle you are comparing it to.