G37 Sedan

They're back! Topspeed exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Think47

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How are these as far as rust goes, I am on the fence about purchasing this and the invidia q300 for a sedan
Old 07-09-2013, 04:44 PM
imdbd

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
The sensors are located after the cats to detect proper emissions, if you remove or alter the cats the O2 sensors will detect something's wrong and your check engine light will come on. The TopSpeed installs after the factory Y pipe, the Y pipe connects to the cats, so you're quite a distance form the sensors. So you will have no issues
OHHHH I SEE....i was confusing the y pipe with the with the part of the system that also looks like a Y. hmm. big misunderstanding. what would i do without you blnewt
Old 07-09-2013, 05:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Think47
How are these as far as rust goes, I am on the fence about purchasing this and the invidia q300 for a sedan
Just replaced my rear sway bar for a Sport sway and dropped the exhaust to do the swap. I gave my exhaust a good inspection and no rust anywhere, keep in mind I got the first version of these so they may have changed the quality but if not, they're a great buy
Old 07-10-2013, 05:13 PM
imdbd

hey guys, got the exhaust installed today, however there was an issue on install. the support bar between the resonators was welded on completely wrong- it was rubbing the rear sway bar from directly under. so, the mechanic suggested we cut the small support bar between the pipes. it worked, and everything fit a lot better. loving the deep sound, and the new exhaust smell every time i get out of the car, lol. should i let topspeed know about this?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:46 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by imdbd
hey guys, got the exhaust installed today, however there was an issue on install. the support bar between the resonators was welded on completely wrong- it was rubbing the rear sway bar from directly under. so, the mechanic suggested we cut the small support bar between the pipes. it worked, and everything fit a lot better. loving the deep sound, and the new exhaust smell every time i get out of the car, lol. should i let topspeed know about this?
Glad you're happy w/ it but I'd be sure to let them know, might help if you could provide a pic too.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Think47

Just replaced my rear sway bar for a Sport sway and dropped the exhaust to do the swap. I gave my exhaust a good inspection and no rust anywhere, keep in mind I got the first version of these so they may have changed the quality but if not, they're a great buy
Thanks for the info.

I sent them a eBay message as well and they said just to check and clean it and it should be fine. That's how I do it with my current exhaust on my Camaro.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:09 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Think47
Thanks for the info.

I sent them a eBay message as well and they said just to check and clean it and it should be fine. That's how I do it with my current exhaust on my Camaro.
I keep mine pretty clean, looks like you live in a pretty dry area. It think the ones that were having issues were also dealing w/ a lot of winter road salts that would make it tougher to resist rust.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:11 AM
dotmichael
Banned

I got mine in yesterday but likely wont go to install until this weekend -- I really hope I dont need to cut anything because I was planning on doing this and my new eibach springs at the same tiem
Old 07-12-2013, 11:17 AM
imdbd

Originally Posted by dotmichael
I got mine in yesterday but likely wont go to install until this weekend -- I really hope I dont need to cut anything because I was planning on doing this and my new eibach springs at the same tiem
im not sure if you will have the same problem as i did, but its very possible - i'd get the eibachs done first and then the exhaust
Old 07-14-2013, 11:51 PM
dotmichael
Banned

Well I did them....I spent three times as long trying to cut off those welded bolts than actually uninstalling/reinstalling the exhaust.

Oh...um...someone tell me why the hell I spent two hours trying to cut those off when I didnt even need to and can just utilize those stock bolts/nuts? Maybe its because my car has 36xx miles on it but I was able to loose the nuts and just pull the exhaust off. About 45 minutes into cutting it with power tools I pulled it apart and said hey I dont need to cut anything -- then I got stupid and said but I need to use the new bolts.

Eventually I said WAIT it pulled apart. Wow. Far from a novice and just in awe at my stupidity. My friend felt worse especially since he went to home depot to buy an angle grinder specifically for this.

On to the exhaust...I wasnt particularly impressed with the finish and the tips...they look like they were cut with a rusty blade. There are ridges all the way around and up close it just doesnt look that hot but for the price of $432 shipped (now its 469) I cannot complain especially since I almost bought a tanabe axleback a couple of times for slightly cheaper.

Only drove it 15 miles but its gradually sounding better although it was pretty quiet the first few miles. This is my first brand new exhaust however and I know there is some break-in to be had so I'll report back later in the week after I re-tighten everything.

All in all a great buy especially since intakes are 250-350. Didnt notice much of a power increase, maybe around midrange.

I did not have that issue with the support bar either though I thought I was going to until I flipped that pipe around.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:25 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by dotmichael
Well I did them....I spent three times as long trying to cut off those welded bolts than actually uninstalling/reinstalling the exhaust.

Oh...um...someone tell me why the hell I spent two hours trying to cut those off when I didnt even need to and can just utilize those stock bolts/nuts? Maybe its because my car has 36xx miles on it but I was able to loose the nuts and just pull the exhaust off. About 45 minutes into cutting it with power tools I pulled it apart and said hey I dont need to cut anything -- then I got stupid and said but I need to use the new bolts.

Eventually I said WAIT it pulled apart. Wow. Far from a novice and just in awe at my stupidity. My friend felt worse especially since he went to home depot to buy an angle grinder specifically for this.

On to the exhaust...I wasnt particularly impressed with the finish and the tips...they look like they were cut with a rusty blade. There are ridges all the way around and up close it just doesnt look that hot but for the price of $432 shipped (now its 469) I cannot complain especially since I almost bought a tanabe axleback a couple of times for slightly cheaper.

Only drove it 15 miles but its gradually sounding better although it was pretty quiet the first few miles. This is my first brand new exhaust however and I know there is some break-in to be had so I'll report back later in the week after I re-tighten everything.

All in all a great buy especially since intakes are 250-350. Didnt notice much of a power increase, maybe around midrange.

I did not have that issue with the support bar either though I thought I was going to until I flipped that pipe around.
That's too bad you had the install delay, I just used my old bolts
A shame they're still selling some of those crap tips too, seems like unless you ABSOLUTELY confirm you're getting the nice rolled tips you'll end up w/ the jagged tin can tips
The Ebay listings I've seen will mention clearly when they have the nice tips but will barely mention the tips in the info when you get the cheapies

Glad you're happy w/ the sound, and there's a thread here that has some better tips installed if you haven't seen it.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ps-thread.html
Old 07-17-2013, 05:07 PM
615sfinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do I confirm if I'm getting the "good looking tips"?

And for that, will they just tell me I'm receiving the rolled, but really get the shickel Frits?

I really want to buy this but that turns me off.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:12 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by 615sfinest
How do I confirm if I'm getting the "good looking tips"?

And for that, will they just tell me I'm receiving the rolled, but really get the shickel Frits?

I really want to buy this but that turns me off.
These are the Shickel Frits (lol)
Here's the link, in the first line of the description it states SINGLE LAYER, which is the jagged tin-can version. Don't see any of the good ones listed right now. You might want to call them and see if they have any of the rolled tips or if they'll be getting any soon, the difference is night & day. If you do call them be adamant about only wanting the good version.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Infiniti-G35-G37-Sedan-07-12-Performance-Exhaust-System-Systems-Top-Speed-Pro-1-/230988717400?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item35c8001d58*** Brand New released TOP SPEED PRO-1 Dual Performance Exhaust System in Polished Stainless Steel with TIG Welding with 102mm Single Layer Tips
Old 07-17-2013, 10:43 PM
imdbd

These are the Shickel Frits (lol)
Here's the link, in the first line of the description it states SINGLE LAYER, which is the jagged tin-can version. Don't see any of the good ones listed right now. You might want to call them and see if they have any of the rolled tips or if they'll be getting any soon, the difference is night & day. If you do call them be adamant about only wanting the good version.
Infiniti G35 G37 Sedan 07 12 Performance Exhaust System Systems Top Speed Pro 1 | eBay
*** Brand New released TOP SPEED PRO-1 Dual Performance Exhaust System in Polished Stainless Steel with TIG Welding with 102mm Single Layer Tips
careful with this listing though, this is the exact item i bought and it was a doozie to have installed. make sure topspeed knows their support brackets are welded in the wrong place. (these exhausts are hand welded so there's bound to be human error.) all in all im happy after a week of having it...drone is nice a 1700rpm and is aggressive at 3700rpm+....my friend who drives an STI was even impressed.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:57 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by imdbd
careful with this listing though, this is the exact item i bought and it was a doozie to have installed. make sure topspeed knows their support brackets are welded in the wrong place. (these exhausts are hand welded so there's bound to be human error.) all in all im happy after a week of having it...drone is nice a 1700rpm and is aggressive at 3700rpm+....my friend who drives an STI was even impressed.
That listing should be the crappy tips, are yours the good ones?

Quick Reply: They're back! Topspeed exhaust