G37 Sedan

They're back! Topspeed exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 03:30 PM
4DOORFUN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I installed the exhaust on this past weekend. I decided not to paint the cans. They will get covered with road dirt/grime very soon and it will help to hide the reflective steel. The exhaust quality appears to be excellent, but time will tell. The bevel edged tips look really good and the size is not too bad. The tips are actually a bit smaller than the tips on the Tanabe exhaust I had previously. The overall fitment is also very good. I would not mind if the tips were a little closer to the bumper cut outs, but I can bend the hangers if I decide to later. I had to do that with the Tanabe too.

The sound is perfect and having a 6MT makes it even better. However, I can see how this would drone on a G with an auto trans. If I shift to a high gear at low speeds, there is drone, so I avoid doing so.

The install was a PITA!!! Like many others before me, the majority of my time and effort was spent on removing the OEM exhaust. The y-pipe bolts and nuts were rusted solid. I cut one off and I got the other one loose after letting it sit overnight with PB Blaster. The OEM bolt head is welded in place from the factory. That made removing it impossible. Since I had already cut the one bolt, I had to have the OEM bolt head removed by a mechanic. He grinded it off for me. Cost me $28, but I was so frustrated at the time that I would have paid him four times that amount!

So, other than the removal of the OEM system, I very pleased with this purchase. The Top Speed system compares very well to the Tanabe axle back on quality. On sound, there is no comparison. The Tanabe axle back was barely different than stock. I sold it after finally admitting that to myself and put the money towards the Top Speed system.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Nice post, 4DOOFUN.

I think the Tanabe tips are 4.5", so these would be 4.0" if they're smaller. Still kind of big, IMO, but 4" round seems to be the way of things these days, and it's not obnoxiously large.

Color me jealous, buddy.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:12 PM
4DOORFUN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Nice post, 4DOOFUN.

I think the Tanabe tips are 4.5", so these would be 4.0" if they're smaller. Still kind of big, IMO, but 4" round seems to be the way of things these days, and it's not obnoxiously large.

Color me jealous, buddy.
Thanks. Yes, the tips are still too large, but they are smaller than the Tanabe for sure. I'm going to eventually adjust the hangers so it fits like I want it to.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:41 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DOORFUN
I installed the exhaust on this past weekend. I decided not to paint the cans. They will get covered with road dirt/grime very soon and it will help to hide the reflective steel. The exhaust quality appears to be excellent, but time will tell. The bevel edged tips look really good and the size is not too bad. The tips are actually a bit smaller than the tips on the Tanabe exhaust I had previously. The overall fitment is also very good. I would not mind if the tips were a little closer to the bumper cut outs, but I can bend the hangers if I decide to later. I had to do that with the Tanabe too.

The sound is perfect and having a 6MT makes it even better. However, I can see how this would drone on a G with an auto trans. If I shift to a high gear at low speeds, there is drone, so I avoid doing so.

The install was a PITA!!! Like many others before me, the majority of my time and effort was spent on removing the OEM exhaust. The y-pipe bolts and nuts were rusted solid. I cut one off and I got the other one loose after letting it sit overnight with PB Blaster. The OEM bolt head is welded in place from the factory. That made removing it impossible. Since I had already cut the one bolt, I had to have the OEM bolt head removed by a mechanic. He grinded it off for me. Cost me $28, but I was so frustrated at the time that I would have paid him four times that amount!

So, other than the removal of the OEM system, I very pleased with this purchase. The Top Speed system compares very well to the Tanabe axle back on quality. On sound, there is no comparison. The Tanabe axle back was barely different than stock. I sold it after finally admitting that to myself and put the money towards the Top Speed system.
Nice review, glad you're happy w/ the purchase and got the good tips
Old 06-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Redpit

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Update:

I finally got around to installing the exhaust this weekend. Just like 4door I had a hell of a time getting off the stock exhaust. I had to grind off the bolts in order to uninstall everything. What a PITA and time suck. The payoff was worth it though.

Install of the Topspeed was a breeze. Literally took about 20 minutes once the stock system was off. Everything lined up perfect. 6 bolts and 6 rubber grommets and your done. I used a little WD-40 on the grommets (as I have done in the past), and the exhaust just slid into place. The only thing is I might bend the mounting bracket slighly to get the exhaust closer to the body, but that has already been said,

Starting it up for the first time it was much quieter than I expected. Ive driven it about 20 miles so far and it is breaking in nicely. It has gotten steadily deeper, and sounds better than I imagined. My brother was thoroughly impressed as he was driving besides me. He told me he saw quite a few heads snap to see what was driving by them. My VQ has never sounded so mean. I would say it sounds pretty similar to the coupe with a little deeper tone. It's not obnoxious or ricer in the least.

Bottom line, this is one of the best mods I have done. For the price nothing comes close that I have seen.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:25 PM
joohanie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installed mine with little trouble other than getting the stock exhaust off. It's just one long piece so hard to transport after the install too lol.

I love the tone on the exhaust especially with no drone noise! Sound is not very loud but it is noticeable.

My buddy just installed an IPL exhaust on his coupe and I would say they are a good comparison with each other. The topspeed is slightly louder but they sound very similar
Old 06-10-2013, 02:39 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Glad to hear the latest buyers are getting what I received over a year ago, they are very nice looking and the sound really brings out the already nice VQ roar.
Post up pics!
Old 06-10-2013, 03:40 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any rust issue with these?
Old 06-10-2013, 05:45 PM
botlfed98
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
4DOORFUN, where are you located at exactly? I'd like to hear this exhaust if you are close to me
Old 06-10-2013, 11:46 PM
Redpit

Quick pic I snapped today for this thread.

The following 3 users liked this post by Redpit:
4DOORFUN (06-11-2013), blnewt (06-10-2013), dragion (06-10-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 11:49 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Looking good Red
The following users liked this post:
Redpit (06-10-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 11:57 PM
Redpit

Originally Posted by blnewt
Looking good Red
Thank you. I installed the vinyl rear valence at the same time. Your tips really helped me out. It's probably a good piece of vinyl for newbies to install as the curves are not too complex. Thanks again for the pointers.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:00 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 152 Likes on 125 Posts
^Lookin' good.
Amazing what a sheet of plastic vinyl can do!
The following users liked this post:
Redpit (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 12:28 AM
Redpit

Originally Posted by dragion
^Lookin' good.
Amazing what a sheet of plastic vinyl can do!
Yeah it really does change the look. Definitely one of the best cheap mods you can do.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:47 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Redpit
Thank you. I installed the vinyl rear valence at the same time. Your tips really helped me out. It's probably a good piece of vinyl for newbies to install as the curves are not too complex. Thanks again for the pointers.
Glad to be of help, looks like you did a nice job w/ the install on both the valence & exhaust, really gives a nice look in the back for sure

Quick Reply: They're back! Topspeed exhaust