G37 Sedan

need quick help! taking my new used car in for service...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 03:12 PM
hhyder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation need quick help! taking my new used car in for service...

so i got a used '09 g37xS with 60k miles. i'm taking it in to the dealer to get an oil change today. i told them about reprogramming the transmission as per the tsb. is there anything i should have them look at while they have the car? if so, what are the codes i should specifically tell them?

the car has new tires, new brakes (rotors and pads). the basic warranty has expired on the car but it still has the 4 year/70k drivetrain warranty. what other essential thing needs to be looked at? appreciate the help!
Old 05-21-2013, 03:57 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
FYI - the powertrain warranty is 6yr/70k miles. normally i'd say avoid dealers for routine maintenance, but i get why you are going in this instance if you have warranty concerns. if the 7AT needs to be re-flashed (or whatever they do) then that probably justifies your trip. other than that, as long as you have not observed any driveability issues, you should be good to go. the drivetrain on the G is very stout.

just don't let them upsell you on what they inevitably do - coolant/brake fluid/cabin filters/diff fluid/etc...
Old 05-21-2013, 04:08 PM
hhyder

thx for confirming on the powertrain warranty, it'll probably expire in the next 3 months because of the miles i drive so i'm trying to take advantage of the free repairs.
because this car is new to me and i don't know the history, just for my own piece of mind i want to take it in to the dealer and have them look at it. the oil change is due so i am getting that done from them this time. i read about the tsb on the tranny and ecm??? so i will have them look at that. it should fix the occasional jerky shifts, low acceleration shakes and hard downshifts. other than that the car runs smooth. coming from an e46 bmw m3 i wasn't expecting much from this car but i'm liking it more and more everyday. the technology is awesome and good perks that i use everyday (navigation, bluetooth, rear camera, push button, memory seats etc) and not to mention that the handling and power is sufficient for daily driving.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:12 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
just don't let them upsell you on what they inevitably do - coolant/brake fluid/cabin filters/diff fluid/etc...
That's not to say that doing these services on a 4-5 yr old would be a bad idea. All depends on mileage, how long you plan on keeping the car, etc. At a minimum, follow the owner's manual recommendations.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:14 PM
hhyder

i get bored quick and have a bad habit of switching cars every year. if this car doesn't give me any major issues then i might keep it for 2-3 years. i'm usually good with maintaining a car, keeping up with oil changes and not beating on them too much.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:23 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
That's not to say that doing these services on a 4-5 yr old would be a bad idea. All depends on mileage, how long you plan on keeping the car, etc. At a minimum, follow the owner's manual recommendations.
^ absolutely, i agree. however, this work need not be done at the dealer which was what i was getting at. routine maintenance such as those items are best DIY or done at a trusted independent who works on time and materials rates. i understand the OP going to the dealer for the 1st time for a warranty concern, and throwing them an oil change will establish a good rapport for future visits.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:37 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
^ absolutely, i agree. however, this work need not be done at the dealer which was what i was getting at. routine maintenance such as those items are best DIY or done at a trusted independent who works on time and materials rates. i understand the OP going to the dealer for the 1st time for a warranty concern, and throwing them an oil change will establish a good rapport for future visits.
Agreed. In fact, oil changes are about the only work I would do there. Given they always have specials on them around $35, it's not much different from an independent mechanic or DIY. Also, I go to the same service advisor everytime and I've developed an excellent rapport with him. Because of this, I have gotten a lot of excellent extra service. I get a loaner car every time, even for routine oil changes. He makes sure I get the best available at the time. Last was a 2013 M37X with 125 miles. The thing didn't even have plates yet. I've also gotten a detail for the interior with shampoo for free. Also, I was about to do a TB cleaning myself, I decided to take it in just for hoots since the car only had 23k miles and a 2010. He told me it's not recommended to clean the TB as it may cause idle issues, so he just replaced them under warranty. Anyways, now I'm rambling too much.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:25 PM
hhyder

Update: so I dropped the car off at the dealer. He's getting the 2 TSBs for free and an oil change for $47. He will also do a quick inspection of the car. I got a 2011 dirty g37x as loaner. I was hoping for a newer upgrade like a m or fx bit oh well... Car should be ready by tomorrow.