G37 Sedan

Warming up car in garage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 12:48 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Here is something for you brad.
One of my first new cars I bought, Acura, I used to do the same, warm it up a minute then drive slowly for the first few blocks then normal driving. I had minor maintenance, fuel pump, radiator crack, starter, and normal maintenance. I got rid of it at about 100K, I babied it the whole time.

So the new car I traded the Acura in for I did the opposite. I turned it on waited 15 seconds then redlined it through each gear. I never did engine break in. Let my friends drive sometimes and they knew how I drove it and encouraged them to do the same. When I got rid of that car at 128K miles I didnt have any issues with it except clutch replacement at 78K and premature tire wear.

Not a great experiment by any means, but I honestly believe the car I beat on held up better than the one I babied.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:31 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 493 Posts
Happy to know there are more OCD people out there than myself

We have a detached garage. I'll normally let it warm up just long enough for the rpms to begin dropping (30-60 sec). In the warmer months, this drop occurs closer to the 30 sec mark. For the next few miles, the car is driven casually.

Come to think of it, just because the temp gauge shows normal doesn't mean the engine block itself is up to operating temp. It takes longer than 5 min of driving for that to occur IMO.

Drive more, worry less!!
Old 05-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,662 Likes on 3,485 Posts
If you want to take a moment to do something truly useful after starting the car, walk around it and eyeball the tires for proper inflation. It's something I do with every car I get into, whether driving or a passenger. Of course, I do that before I get in the car... I don't hop out again to do it. Doesn't take but a moment to glance at all 4 tires, and maybe just a few moments more if you suspect something.

While I can count less on both hands the number of times in 30 years that it's made me recognize a slow leak, or a flat, nail in the tire, etc... it's still, good advice.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:22 PM
AG458

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LoL. The man is right. Your car is OK, You might need some counseling(sometimes)
Old 05-18-2013, 02:41 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 493 Posts
@Rochester, In my old neighborhood, we didn't have a garage. Part of the driving away ritual was to walk around the car and check behind/in front of all tires to ensure no foreign objects --- nails, screws, were present.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:47 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by g37brad
Hi guys,

I'm one of the believers in warming up your car before morning take off, and have always done so. It may not be the best way to do it, but I can't seem to stop doing it.

Every morning I usually start the car, check a few emails on my phone, and then take off. I usually let the car sit and get to operating temps/lower RPM's for about 4-5 minutes. I then take off slowly as well...I park my car in a parking spot outside.

I'm moving into someone's house next week, and they said I could have a space in the garage. At first I thought this was pretty awesome, but now I'm wondering about my warm up routine...I was reading online it's an absolute no-no to even idle your car in a garage (with door open) for even a minute...If I still wanted to warm up my car in the garage, how would I go about doing so?

Another thing that scares me (which may just be OCD), is what if the other guy who lives there accidentally leaves his car running for more than a minute in the garage? My bedroom will be literally a few feet from the garage, and it seems the carbon monoxide is odorless, and you can actually die from it? I never really knew too much about it, as I don't have a garage where I live now. Is this an entirely weird thing to even think about? How can I protect myself from a mishap like this? It doesn't seem that rare actually, after looking online, it's actually common that people get very sick/die from this? I did find this interesting, and it sort of scares me. I may be thinking too deep into it, but wanted to make sure I was safe.

Thanks guys,

Worry wart
There is no need to warm up your vehicle especially in Florida.
You are just wasting gas.
I never warmed up my 06 G35 even at 10* F in the winter. I only drove slow for the 4 blocks to get out to the main road leading to the NJ TPKE. Engine still ran like new when I traded it in at 171796 miles.
And I don't warm up my G37S

Telcoman
Old 05-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,662 Likes on 3,485 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
@Rochester, In my old neighborhood, we didn't have a garage. Part of the driving away ritual was to walk around the car and check behind/in front of all tires to ensure no foreign objects --- nails, screws, were present.
It's a really good habit to get into. I swear I can tell now when a tire is low 5-10 psi, even before hands-on observation of the give when you bounce it. After a while, you just start to get a feel for it.

The funny thing is when you're convinced there's a problem, then whip out the tire gauge and discover everything is A-OK. That happens too.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:52 PM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I never warm up my car. start it up and pull it straight out.

wasting fuel and time plus idling could land yourself a ticket in some public places.
idling is bad for environment as well.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Basikk_

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is Brad really being serious about those 30 seconds?
His first post seems like he may be over thinking things too much.
Post #10 had me laughing though , wouldn't be surprised if he actually WAS serious.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:07 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by g37brad
Would I leave it in Reverse with my foot on the brake, or parked it in the driveway after pulling out? Wouldn't this just cause excess wear on the transmission everyday?

I actually have a friend who pulls out of work everyday (car sitting for 9+ hours), and literally red lines it onto the main road. I cringe everytime, thinking about the poor engine. I let mine sit for 4-5 minutes, and then keep the RPM's under 2,500 for the first 10 minutes or so. Probably overkill, but then again my car is years old and perfect condition.

One question I had about this is...(might be confusing)...let's say I keep it under 3K rpm for the first few minutes, does it matter how aggressively I hit the gas to hit 3K rpm? You could hit the gas hard and stop at 3K rpm, or you can gently progress from 2k -> 2500 -3k and then let the car shift...Does it make a difference?
Me 2, I have friends who do this. I wouldn't want to buy their car as a used vehicle.

In warm weather I warm the car I the garage for 1 minute then go. I takes 3 miles to the main thoroughfare and them I'm good to go.

In the winter, I warm the car up for two minutes in the garage.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:19 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I can't play anymore, Brad. You're over-thinking this non-issue into a problem that just doesn't exist. Give your car 30 seconds or so down there in Florida before driving it when cold, and drive it casually for the minute or two it takes until the temp gauge reads normal.

Relax, man. You're OK and your car is OK. Honest.
Yessir... nuclear physicist anyone?
Old 05-18-2013, 09:48 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
Since having my G37xS for almost 6 months now...during the winter I usually use my autostart and by the time I go outside, the engine and car is nice and warm.
On days that are warm, I just start and go...keeping the tach under 2000RPM until the engine is warmed up.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:55 AM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Are any of you really going to own the car when it cranks over 150-200K? What do you think is going to happen if you don't do it? Do you think you are going to have cylinder knock at 80000 miles because of piston wear? Waste of time and gas and (I can't believe I am saying this) pointless pollution. Just start the car then drive it gently for a few minutes then sell your still working perfectly fine car in 5 or 6 years.

I can see on a REALLY cold day letting it warm up for personal comfort, though. I have done that before on really hot days here when the sun comes in the side window and heats up the steering wheel, lol.

Five minutes per day, 200 days per year for five years is 83 hours and 20 minutes. Close to 100 hours if you throw in weekends.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:19 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
If you want to take a moment to do something truly useful after starting the car, walk around it and eyeball the tires for proper inflation. It's something I do with every car I get into, whether driving or a passenger. Of course, I do that before I get in the car... I don't hop out again to do it. Doesn't take but a moment to glance at all 4 tires, and maybe just a few moments more if you suspect something.

While I can count less on both hands the number of times in 30 years that it's made me recognize a slow leak, or a flat, nail in the tire, etc... it's still, good advice.
THIS!

I do this EVERY time I get into my car. Yes, I start it first, but get out while its running to visually check the tires and the rest of the car for problems. And that's PLENTY of warm-up time for these cars.

Now....if its 10deg outside, that's another story.......I may let it run for a minute instead of 30 seconds, but that's only to get the seat warmer up and running
Old 05-19-2013, 01:53 PM
g37brad
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if this will skew anyone's advice...but it's a 3 year lease.

Quick Reply: Warming up car in garage?