G37 Sedan

Battery issues??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:23 AM
xceebeex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery issues??

I have a 2010 G37xS with about 25k miles on it and I have been seeing issues with my battery lately. It all started this past Monday. We went away for the weekend and took my wife's car so mine was sitting home for the weekend. I get in on Monday morning to take the kids to day care and the battery was completely dead. It didn't even make the "beep" when I pushed the button to unlock the doors.

So I got a jump and went on my way. It was fine until this morning. I get in and everything seems normal, this time the "beep" works and all my interior stuff comes on (Nav, etc), but there wasn't enough to crank it over. So again, I get a jump and go on my way.

I was reading that there was a TSB for the 2008-2009 G37's with the vent control valve causing excess drain on the battery, is there something similar for the 2010's? What sucks is the closest Infiniti dealer to me is about an hour and a half away so I would hate to make an appointment, drive all the way out there and then just find out that they decided they didn't want to cover it 100%.

I also don't want to go out and buy a battery if it would be covered under warranty and if there could be some other underlying issue.

Thoughts?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
You can call the dealer tell them whats going on, give them the TSB #, give them your vin and have them look it up to see if the TSB has been don on ur G. This way you're not driving for nothing. If it hasn't been done, they'll probably just do it.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:03 AM
xceebeex

Originally Posted by Rad_Slinger
You can call the dealer tell them whats going on, give them the TSB #, give them your vin and have them look it up to see if the TSB has been don on ur G. This way you're not driving for nothing. If it hasn't been done, they'll probably just do it.
Do you know off hand if there is a TSB for this issue for the 2010's? The TSB I did see was only for 2008-2009 G37's.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:06 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had my 2010 over 3 years. It sits for weeks at a time, since I use it mostly for longer trips. So far no problems with the battery.
Tom
Old 05-17-2013, 10:27 AM
xceebeex

Originally Posted by movinon
I've had my 2010 over 3 years. It sits for weeks at a time, since I use it mostly for longer trips. So far no problems with the battery.
Tom
Yea, the funny thing was we went away on vacation back in the beginning of April for a little more than a week and when we came back it started up fine.

So I am not sure why the problem all of a sudden came up. It seems strange for the battery to be dead after only 3 years and around 25k miles.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:43 AM
AMai1215

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
My battery recently died. 18,500 miles
Old 05-17-2013, 10:47 AM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xceebeex
Yea, the funny thing was we went away on vacation back in the beginning of April for a little more than a week and when we came back it started up fine.

So I am not sure why the problem all of a sudden came up. It seems strange for the battery to be dead after only 3 years and around 25k miles.
I've seen car batteries go bad in less time than that (usually due to a manufacturing defect of some sort, bad cell, etc).

Also, when was the last time you checked the acid levels in the your battery? (The Infiniti stock batteries are not maintenance free and may need to have distilled water added occasionally).
Old 05-17-2013, 10:55 AM
xceebeex

Originally Posted by DocJohn
I've seen car batteries go bad in less time than that (usually due to a manufacturing defect of some sort, bad cell, etc).

Also, when was the last time you checked the acid levels in the your battery? (The Infiniti stock batteries are not maintenance free and may need to have distilled water added occasionally).
I have never checked the levels. To be honest, I have never checked levels in any battery so I wouldn't be sure how to do it without searching.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:05 AM
DocJohn
G-DOG

I have never checked the levels. To be honest, I have never checked levels in any battery so I wouldn't be sure how to do it without searching.
Very easy to do. Just open the battery compartment (near the firewall on the passenger side of the engine bay).
The battery has 6 cell caps that you need to unscrew (they may be screwed down rather tight).
The acid level in each of the 6 cells should be up to the level of the bottom edge of the cap (you use the cap as sort of a dipstick) . If it's not, then you carefully add distilled water up to the correct level (don't overfill the cell).
Screw the cell caps back on and that's it.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:05 AM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
3-5 years is about normal for a battery
Old 05-17-2013, 11:11 AM
xceebeex

Very easy to do. Just open the battery compartment (near the firewall on the passenger side of the engine bay).
The battery has 6 cell caps that you need to unscrew (they may be screwed down rather tight).
The acid level in each of the 6 cells should be up to the level of the bottom edge of the cap (you use the cap as sort of a dipstick) . If it's not, then you carefully add distilled water up to the correct level (don't overfill the cell).
Screw the cell caps back on and that's it.
Thanks, I will take a look later today after I get out of work. I might also order an Optima Red Top through Advanced Auto because they have a $50 off coupon for purchases over $125 so that brings the total to $154.99 before tax for the Red Top which is a pretty good deal so I almost don't want to miss out on that.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:43 AM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Thanks, I will take a look later today after I get out of work. I might also order an Optima Red Top through Advanced Auto because they have a $50 off coupon for purchases over $125 so that brings the total to $154.99 before tax for the Red Top which is a pretty good deal so I almost don't want to miss out on that.
Sounds like a good deal on the Optima Red Top. Your battery is probably "toast" anyway, so the coupon deal should help out buying a new battery.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:04 PM
xceebeex

Sounds like a good deal on the Optima Red Top. Your battery is probably "toast" anyway, so the coupon deal should help out buying a new battery.
Yea, I will probably buy the battery and maybe mess with the stock battery a bit before trying the new battery because I could always return the battery if I find that the battery isn't the issue.

How easy is it to get a battery in and out of there? When I pull that little lid to get to the battery it looks like it is impossible to pull out and put a new one in without removing some other stuff first...
Old 05-17-2013, 12:09 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
I have a 2010 G37xS with about 25k miles on it and I have been seeing issues with my battery lately. It all started this past Monday. We went away for the weekend and took my wife's car so mine was sitting home for the weekend. I get in on Monday morning to take the kids to day care and the battery was completely dead. It didn't even make the "beep" when I pushed the button to unlock the doors.

So I got a jump and went on my way. It was fine until this morning. I get in and everything seems normal, this time the "beep" works and all my interior stuff comes on (Nav, etc), but there wasn't enough to crank it over. So again, I get a jump and go on my way.

I was reading that there was a TSB for the 2008-2009 G37's with the vent control valve causing excess drain on the battery, is there something similar for the 2010's? What sucks is the closest Infiniti dealer to me is about an hour and a half away so I would hate to make an appointment, drive all the way out there and then just find out that they decided they didn't want to cover it 100%.

I also don't want to go out and buy a battery if it would be covered under warranty and if there could be some other underlying issue.

Thoughts?
I think you have a weak or dead cell

You can check individual cells with a battery hydrometer, About $10.00

Name:  MyPictures102409006.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  84.5 KB

If you ave never checked your battery it is probably shot

Telcoman
Old 05-17-2013, 12:22 PM
xceebeex

Originally Posted by telcoman
I think you have a weak or dead cell

You can check individual cells with a battery hydrometer, About $10.00

If you ave never checked your battery it is probably shot

Telcoman
If there is a weak or dead cell, I assume anything that I do to it (like add distilled water) would only be a temporary fix then?

Quick Reply: Battery issues??