G37 Sedan

Run my '09 into the ground or buy new?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:46 AM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Run my '09 into the ground or buy new?

This is probably an age old question, but I thought I'd ask you owners of the G, as you know the car the best.

I have a 2k9 G37xS, 70k miles, all service done at the stealership to date, I have an xtended Infiniti warranty up to 6 years/83k miles. The care is in excellent shape, other than a few external minor cosmetic issues (no dings, just a few paint chips, slightly discolored mudguards). The car is paid off.

If a new vehicle would be a car costing $40k to 50k, do most of you feel it's better to keep maintaining this car past the warranty and drive it until it needs "major" work (and what defines, "major" work?), or buy new and enjoy a new car with a new warranty?

I don't crave a new car right now, but of course when I drive by dealerships I always think, what if... what if I just traded it in now.

Thanks in advance, just looking for some friendly opinions.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
The car is paid off.
I don't crave a new car right now
^^^
You answered your own question. Mod your G and enjoy it, while saving for the next car.

Also, people with extended warranties ought not categorize dealerships as stealerships. Conflicting values rarely end well.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:01 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
This is probably an age old question, but I thought I'd ask you owners of the G, as you know the car the best.

I have a 2k9 G37xS, 70k miles, all service done at the stealership to date, I have an xtended Infiniti warranty up to 6 years/83k miles. The care is in excellent shape, other than a few external minor cosmetic issues (no dings, just a few paint chips, slightly discolored mudguards). The car is paid off.

If a new vehicle would be a car costing $40k to 50k, do most of you feel it's better to keep maintaining this car past the warranty and drive it until it needs "major" work (and what defines, "major" work?), or buy new and enjoy a new car with a new warranty?

I don't crave a new car right now, but of course when I drive by dealerships I always think, what if... what if I just traded it in now.

Thanks in advance, just looking for some friendly opinions.
Sounds like you're liking the car, know its' history, and still has plenty of miles left. These cars are good for 200k (and probably quite a bit more) w/ the proper servicing. You're in the perfect spot to just drive your car for another 3 years, and especially if you may want a new Infiniti Q50. Three years would be a nice time to wait and see what powertrain options are available and they'd have any issues w/ the car resolved by then (hopefully). My 09 G37 has 50k miles and I'm now thinking we'll keep it another 3 years.
HTHs
Old 05-17-2013, 10:07 AM
Austin713

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Ive got an 07 with 83k on it. no issues. ive sunk a few grand into it in mods, so knowing id just have to do that all over again if i traded it in is what keeps me from doing it. not to mention not having a car payment is awesome.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Definately keep the car for a few more years if you're happy especially since you have already taken the biggest depreciation hit after 4 or 5 years. You won't lose that much in value holding on to it for a while longer.

Do you wanna buy the Q50 or just a new car? if it's the Q50 then definately wait because it's guaranteed to have some issues that any new model car always has and why be one of the guines pigs. Let others be beta testers for the car.

If it was me I would wait 3 or 4 more years, all these new model entry level luxury cars will have all the bugs worked out by then and then you can get one when they hit thier mid cycle updates where you get some nice packages and exterior modifications.

And with the latest craze of all these cars being overdesigned and having creases and hard lines everywhere the G37 is still gonna look pretty damn good for a good while longer (think 1st gen G37 coupe which is still quite the looker) because it's not cookie cutter.

Last edited by Yosemite Dan; 05-17-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:09 AM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
The G series is very dependable and built well.

My 2004 G35 ran smooth as butter...untill someone hit me and tolled the car.

I constantly told myself that I would keep the car pretty much forever.
If it wasn't for the accident I would still be driving it.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:20 AM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd keep it at least after the ext. warranty. If you don't care about a new car then keep it for 2 more years. Then trade it in for the Q50
Old 05-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You should unquestionably keep the car until it's cost of maintenance is prohibitive. Meaning that it breaks down so frequently that it's unreliable as daily transportation or maintaining it costs you more than a new car note each month. Neither is likely to happen for a very long time. Keep it. Save money. Doing it that way, the next car you do buy might very well be something much nicer than you can afford now. If you've ever lusted after a GTR (or whatever expensive car floats your boat) but can't afford it or justify paying the price, save the amount you were paying each month for your G in a separate account. In a few short years that car will be within your reach. And you can keep the G as your daily.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:25 AM
DONTTASEMEBRO

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's why I never mod my G if i know im going to have to trade it in after certain miles..
Old 05-17-2013, 12:22 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
I also own an '09 G37xS and plan to keep it. I wouldn't "run it into the ground", though. With proper maintenance (particularly oil/filter changes), these Infinitis should last forever. As some parts wear out, say brake rotors and pads, it's fun to research and source high-quality replacements. Don't mod the drivetrain too heavily, as that can effect both the reliability and the resale value of the G.

The G will be relevant for many years. We might begin to wish for more current electronics or entertainment options, but this car was ahead of its time. Just let time catch up a little and keep driving!
Old 05-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Tcruarceri

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its interesting to see the opinions here. I just purchased my 09 with approx. 35 on it and have been debating exactly how long I am going to keep it. I usually opted to go without car payments and brought something older out right, this is my first car with a loan/with an blue book value over 20k. Part of me feels like being this invested into the car I will be best off to trade away around 70k, especially since I have my doubts of things like the variable exhaust, electric motors in seats/windows/steering wheel holding up to 100-150k plus of abuse. But then again, I don't see anything else coming out newer that I would want to buy with the influx of electric steering, tech overload, and hefty curb weights, my g37x is damn near everything I wanted.

Last edited by Tcruarceri; 05-18-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:09 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
You should unquestionably keep the car until it's cost of maintenance is prohibitive. Meaning that it breaks down so frequently that it's unreliable as daily transportation or maintaining it costs you more than a new car note each month. Neither is likely to happen for a very long time. Keep it. Save money. Doing it that way, the next car you do buy might very well be something much nicer than you can afford now. If you've ever lusted after a GTR (or whatever expensive car floats your boat) but can't afford it or justify paying the price, save the amount you were paying each month for your G in a separate account. In a few short years that car will be within your reach. And you can keep the G as your daily.
Solid advice there, couldn't agree more.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:57 AM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks to all

Based on all of your excellent advice, I'm going to keep the car.

The advice makes sense. I just need to find other things to distract me from thinking about a new car -- I need to focus on the reliability of this car and the niceness of not having a payment.

Thanks again
Old 05-21-2013, 11:07 AM
ErikM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Opinions are like armpits everyone has them, and frequently influenced by their wallet.. do what you want, no right or wrong.. Me I lease all my cars, every 3 years or so I get a new car.. saves me the aggravation of trade in's or private sales. Cars always under warrenty.. down side, I always have a car payment..
Old 05-21-2013, 12:52 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Financially speaking, BB hit the nail on the head. It's best to keep a car that's paid for until the repairs cost you more than a car note.

What I do is pretend I have a car note (mine is paid, too) and drop that cash into your savings until you absolutely have to have (or want real bad) another car.

Quick Reply: Run my '09 into the ground or buy new?