G37 Sedan

Consumer Reports rates G third best car

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Consumer Reports rates G third best car

You probably heard that CR gave the Tesla the #1 spot, but now the enire list is out for cars scoring 90+ in the review.

Consumer Reports names its top-scoring cars - Yahoo! Autos
Old 05-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
That's a pretty interesting (and slightly surprising to me) list form a reputable source.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:15 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Third based on what? Do we know what the specific tests are? The overall score can be skewed by high scoring categories, but very low on some (and maybe vital areas).
Old 05-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by sniper27
Third based on what? Do we know what the specific tests are? The overall score can be skewed by high scoring categories, but very low on some (and maybe vital areas).
These ratings are always somewhat subjective. I guess you'd have to subscribe to CR to see exactly what criteria they used. But they tend to be more objective and less biased that most automotive sources doing comparisons who get advertising dollars form one maker or another.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:41 PM
sniper27

I subscribe online. I'll check if there's more details online.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by sniper27
I subscribe online. I'll check if there's more details online.
Please post what you find out about that if you can. I'm curious too.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:51 PM
sniper27

It's just their standard categories you see in their magazines. (reliability - brakes, electrical, engine, transmission, etc. Owner satisfaction, performance, etc.)

2013 Infiniti G You can't see the overall score and the details of the categories without signing in, but it's 95.

Same article from CR. If you click on the car, it just takes you to their road test results page.

Consumer Reports names its top-scoring cars

So yes, if a car scores high on some areas and low in some areas that matters, like reliability, it can skew the overall score.

Last edited by sniper27; 05-14-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Butternut

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a relative that subscribes (receives the magazine), and I read it this last weekend. If you look at the pages where they do the little catagorized groupings, the G37 is actually listed at the top/first for the goup that is called something along the lines of "luxury/compact". I was very impressed, and pointed it out to all of my family.

Luckily, Consumer Reports must not know a thing about Infiniti paint.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:38 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
I have always loved my G35 and am loving my current G37.

I don't have all the weird problems everyone has.
If you drive the car everyday its going to get scratched. A parking lot, rocks in the road, a fly ball at a base ball game.
These are all chances you take everyday. My paint looks fine after 3 years. Sure there are minor dings from debris but every car that is driven daily has the same.

My transmission has been fine. No lag, jumps, or shudders. The engine has been perfect. No leaks, wild sounds, or issues starting.

I think some people on here are way to critical of minor things.
My G35 took the full impact in my 65 MPH crash.
That meant more to me than break pads that wear fast, key fobs, or navigation settings.
The following users liked this post:
Gio37 (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Lokosis
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Seeing this makes me glad I made the best possible choice when purchasing my current car. =)
Old 05-15-2013, 01:34 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I have not looked to consumer reports for many years for ratings on products.
What is the one thing they concentrate on more than other reviews? Reliability, product longevity, or value?
Old 05-16-2013, 08:30 PM
chopper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I subscribe to the magazine, and this is the statement from the most recent April issue, which is usually referred to as the “Annual Auto Issue.” I quote from the applicable sections from page 4 of that issue. In the interests of truth in advertising: I have no connection with Consumer’s Report other than subscribing to the magazine for over 25 years.

1. We buy our test cars anonymously from dealers, just as you do. This past year, we spent $2.5 million on test cars. Other reviewers base their evaluations on free loaner cars that are handpicked by the automakers. (Poster’s note: according to this year’s issue, they tested 281 cars last year. I question this number because that works out to only about $8900 per car, and they occasionally test high-end cars like Mercedes and Jaguar, but that's what I understand from their publication. I can only assume that this includes cars bought and tested in previous years.)

2. We drive our test vehicles thousands of miles over several months. Most other auto reviews are based on one or two weeks of driving, some on only a day or two. (Poster's note: According to Wikipedia, Consumer's Union, the parent organization of Consumer's Reports, employs 652 people, so it seems reasonable that the cars are being evaluated over that period of time).

3. Experienced automotive engineers and their support staff evaluate each test car at our 327-acre Auto Test Center in Connecticut and on public roads. From freeways to twisty two-laners. Our staff members and their families live with the cars to get insights that aren’t possible from brief test drives.

4. Each vehicle undergoes more than 50 test and evaluations, including special tests for braking, accident avoidance, real world fuel economy, ride comfort, headlight illumination, and cargo space.

5. Reliability ratings are based on the problems of 1.2 million vehicles, as reported by subscribers in our Annual Auto Survey, which is conducted by the Consumer Reports National Research Center.

For the record, all of the magazine’s subscribers receive a questionnaire each year asking detailed questions about any problems experienced with cars (and other products, such as appliances and electronics) over the preceding year. Those figures are compiled and reported for the preceding 6-year period. So the reliability evaluations are based on owner’s actual experience, not manufacturers’ supplied information. Owner satisfaction is also evaluated, as in “would you purchase this car again or recommend it to others.”

Non-destructive safety test ratings are based on CR avoidance (lane change) maneuver and braking tests. As far as I know, CR does not do any actual destructive crash testing, but rather relies on IIHS and NHTSA results.

They then factor in 5-year ownership costs, including predicted depreciation, interest, insurance, sales tax, fuel, and maintenance. Combining all of these factors, the cars end up with a single numerical rating between 0 and 100, and are compared with others within their market segments. Based on the numerical ratings, some models are designated as “Recommended” and the rest are listed in order. Rarely, a particular model is rated as “Not Recommended”, usually due to safety issues.

Last edited by chopper; 05-16-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:31 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
I have always loved my G35 and am loving my current G37.

I don't have all the weird problems everyone has.
If you drive the car everyday its going to get scratched. A parking lot, rocks in the road, a fly ball at a base ball game.
These are all chances you take everyday. My paint looks fine after 3 years. Sure there are minor dings from debris but every car that is driven daily has the same.

My transmission has been fine. No lag, jumps, or shudders. The engine has been perfect. No leaks, wild sounds, or issues starting.

I think some people on here are way to critical of minor things.
My G35 took the full impact in my 65 MPH crash.

That meant more to me than break pads that wear fast, key fobs, or navigation settings.

I've had my 2010 for a little over 3 years and have put almost 30,000 miles on it. I have zero complaints with the automatic transmission.
The rest of the car has also been problem free.
Tom
Old 05-17-2013, 12:08 AM
AUTPJTG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the G is an awsome car im not surprised it scored so high.. I wouldnt trade it unless its for a coupe ...
Old 05-17-2013, 10:55 AM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by movinon
I've had my 2010 for a little over 3 years and have put almost 30,000 miles on it. I have zero complaints with the automatic transmission.
The rest of the car has also been problem free.
Tom
Same story here. 3 years, 23,000 miles, zero problems. I did have the AT reflash done by Infiniti, but that was my choice and I think it smoothed out some relatively minor complaints I had with the AT.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports rates G third best car