G37 Sedan

Considering converting from BMW to Infiniti

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 12:09 AM
sunseteffler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering converting from BMW to Infiniti

So my current ride is a 2009 535i, my first bimmer and easily the best car I've ever owned but there's just something...not fitting for me. Combined recently with one of the legendary German engineered repair bills and I'm very seriously considering replacing it with a 6mt g37 sport sedan.

I'm having a hard time finding one within reasonable distance to test for myself, so I was wondering if anyone on here has driven both (not necissarily a 5 series, any bimmer) and what did you think? On the surface it seems like the bimmer would the better performance wise, but acceleration figures are so close does it really "feel" that different?

Thanks for the input!
Old 05-10-2013, 12:30 AM
John B

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a 2013 6mt sedan and my buddy has a 2010 335 coupe with the M Sport package. He likes the way my car rides, his is very stiff, recently we hit a bump I must have been over a million times and never noticed but his rear tires lost contact with the ground. I've driven his and the boost feels like it hard but twice we have raced and its neck and neck. Even last night on the interstate neither one of us was pulling on the other.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:57 AM
firstinfiniti

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have owned a e90 before, and on my second G. You get more car for the money. I'll summarize it for you. Except for the size, you will get 97% of the car for 75% of the price you paid for the BMW. Its not going to have that buttoned down, solid German feel, but its almost there. You will not get that BMW steering feel; but then again you wont get that feel with the latest electric BMW steering system either. You may be able to tweak the suspension, but you wont be able to get that solid feel. You will get peace of mind knowing this car will last and not let you down. Built solid.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:52 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Our only BMW was a 2002 745Li, great car when all was well at the command center, but turned into such an expensive ordeal that we couldn't keep it any longer. Lesson learned, only own a BMW if you're in warranty, live close to a dealer, and like to gamble

You should be very happy w/ the piece of mind owning an Infiniti, this is our second one, haven't had any issues except a sunroof trim repair and a couple transmission software updates. Our first G35 (owned now by a friend) has over 80k and our 09 has 50k miles.

The only real issues I've heard w/ the 6MT is the clutch spring, there's a simple DIY to make it much better.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:02 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by firstinfiniti
I have owned a e90 before, and on my second G. You get more car for the money. I'll summarize it for you. Except for the size, you will get 97% of the car for 75% of the price you paid for the BMW. Its not going to have that buttoned down, solid German feel, but its almost there. You will not get that BMW steering feel; but then again you wont get that feel with the latest electric BMW steering system either. You may be able to tweak the suspension, but you wont be able to get that solid feel. You will get peace of mind knowing this car will last and not let you down. Built solid.
That extra three percent though is pure heaven, which makes owning a BMW worth it.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:11 AM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I too had that great BMW feeling right before I leased my first Infiniti (a 2010 Gx). That feeling mostly consisted of opening my wallet to pay extraordinarily high repair bills driven by baffling engineering. I spent $4,000 on normal repairs on my six year old BMW (530i) in the twelve months prior to acquiring the Infiniti. That was crazy. Lease a BMW; NEVER own one.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
I've a friend with a 2006 BMW 530i 6MT that's I've driven a few times, and I own a 2011 G37S Sedan 6MT. The differences between them are huge.
The 530i has a floaty suspension, with crazy sloppy body roll. The G37S 6MT is solid and shockingly tight, even in OEM trim.

The 530i stick shift is long and soft, as is the clutch pedal. The opposite can be said for my 6MT.

The 530i cabin, although with less tech, is still very rich and luxurious. Not so in my somewhat bland G37 interior.

The 530i is spacious and comfortable, whereas my G37 is much less so.

The 530i trunk is a proper trunk. My trunk is... someless less than that.

The 530i seats are delightfully soft and cushy, whereas my sport seats are hard and unforgiving (which you grow to appreciate, actually).

The little brakes on the 530i look somewhat silly, whereas the huge BBK in my G37S are so large they almost look silly, too (but awesome).

The 530i looks (to me) somewhat ostentatious, and is a pretty common car for the upscale crowd. Whereas my 6MT is personal, and quite rare.

In round-up, you're comparing two very different cars. If you were comparing the M5, you'd still be comparing two very different cars, but for different reasons. Essentially, the common 5-Series is a full(ish) sized, luxury car. You should lease it. Whereas, the G37S Sedan 6MT is a perfect sized, very rare sport sedan, and is better suited for drivers, rather than riders. You should buy it.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:04 AM
AMai1215

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
I personally never owned a BMW, but my girlfriend had a 328i. It drove pretty well, but the steering is not as firm and tight as the G.

The last and only thing that I remember from her BMW were the costly repairs. Once it starts to break down, it really BREAKS down. It seems like one thing after the other needed to be replaced. Or one thing caused another thing to break. It just never ended. Thank goodness someone bought it, not for the car itself, but for the love of the red seats.

Japanese > European ALL DAY
Old 05-10-2013, 10:06 AM
ErikM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
BMW, Audi, Mercedes.. Never want to own one out of warrenty...
Old 05-10-2013, 10:32 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by ErikM
BMW, Audi, Mercedes.. Never want to own one out of warrenty...
...or Volvo.

They only last forever if you keep paying outrageous repair bills.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:14 AM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sunseteffler
So my current ride is a 2009 535i, my first bimmer and easily the best car I've ever owned but there's just something...not fitting for me. Combined recently with one of the legendary German engineered repair bills and I'm very seriously considering replacing it with a 6mt g37 sport sedan.

I'm having a hard time finding one within reasonable distance to test for myself, so I was wondering if anyone on here has driven both (not necissarily a 5 series, any bimmer) and what did you think? On the surface it seems like the bimmer would the better performance wise, but acceleration figures are so close does it really "feel" that different?

Thanks for the input!
2009 shouldn't it still be covered under warranty?

I previously had the G37x and now the F30 328 xdrive.
You are comparing two different class cars. I never drove the 5 but I heard from the bimmer guys that it has a floaty suspension, non to light feedback electric steering but luxurious interior with quality material.

The 5 doesn't sound like a driver's car, where the G and 3 are competing in this segment.

Depends on your location and driving style. the 6MT G is a very capable car.
If you're considering the AWD 7AT I would suggest you to do an intense test drive, I don't like how it drives at low speed.

If you tend to buying cars instead of leasing, I would go with Japanese. Buy Japanese, lease German. No cars are perfect, Japanese brands are not bullet proof. German cars are not crap at reliability either, many E36 and E46 are still running strong out there.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:29 AM
ErikM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
German cars have high durability, but lower reliabilty.. they last but take lots of $$ to keep them going
Old 05-10-2013, 11:31 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I've a friend with a 2006 BMW 530i 6MT that's I've driven a few times, and I own a 2011 G37S Sedan 6MT. The differences between them are huge.
The 530i has a floaty suspension, with crazy sloppy body roll. The G37S 6MT is solid and shockingly tight, even in OEM trim.

The 530i stick shift is long and soft, as is the clutch pedal. The opposite can be said for my 6MT.

The 530i cabin, although with less tech, is still very rich and luxurious. Not so in my somewhat bland G37 interior.

The 530i is spacious and comfortable, whereas my G37 is much less so.

The 530i trunk is a proper trunk. My trunk is... someless less than that.

The 530i seats are delightfully soft and cushy, whereas my sport seats are hard and unforgiving (which you grow to appreciate, actually).

The little brakes on the 530i look somewhat silly, whereas the huge BBK in my G37S are so large they almost look silly, too (but awesome).

The 530i looks (to me) somewhat ostentatious, and is a pretty common car for the upscale crowd. Whereas my 6MT is personal, and quite rare.

In round-up, you're comparing two very different cars. If you were comparing the M5, you'd still be comparing two very different cars, but for different reasons. Essentially, the common 5-Series is a full(ish) sized, luxury car. You should lease it. Whereas, the G37S Sedan 6MT is a perfect sized, very rare sport sedan, and is better suited for drivers, rather than riders. You should buy it.
The 530 mt was rated the best car consumer reports ever owned. What you call floaty was a perfect suspension in 2006.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:00 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
My parents have a '12 X5 Diesel and an '07 550i and I have a '13 G37xS. I don't really have any complaints with my G. The BMWs are awesome cars and I enjoy driving them when I am home but I never really feel like im 'downgrading' or anything like that when I step into my G(s) (I'm on my third). In fact, my last G was more solid at 65k miles than the 550i felt at 50k miles.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:38 PM
linusent01

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I owned a BMW 325i that I bought new in 2001 & drove for 10 years before buying the G37S. While that's not a 530 and not a MT, I just wanted to say that the G was the only Non-German car that gave me that same tight controlled sporty sedan feel when driving it. The other Japanese cars just don't hit it close enough.... too squishy, boring, front wheel drive, more luxury than sport, no thrills. So in my opinion the G is the best due to better reliability without losing too much of the thrill.

Quick Reply: Considering converting from BMW to Infiniti