G37 Sedan

Considering converting from BMW to Infiniti

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
The 530 mt was rated the best car consumer reports ever owned. What you call floaty was a perfect suspension in 2006.
Ew-w-w. IDK if times have changed, or my automotive values have.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:05 PM
noctilucous

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
My last car was a 330xi, I now have an 08 G35x. The only downfall is that I no longer have a manual. I too faced roughly 4k in repair bills before finally calling it quits. I would only go back for a 335 or an M3, make the change and you will not regret it.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:56 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I have owned 3 Nissan products. A 95 pickup and 2 G's, an 04 and my current 11.

Reliability is my #1 concern and I have never had any serious or expensive issues with any of the 3. 180k + on the pickup, 81k + on the 04 G and 33k on the 11 G... Love me some Nissan.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:42 PM
g37ex35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm currently leasing a 2013 335is 6MT which I picked up a month or two ago. I came from a 2010 G37S 6MT sedan which I also leased.

The G37S 6MT is a gem as it's a rare breed nowadays. The new Q50 appears to have lost its sporty edge and the lack of a 6MT immediately turned me towards the Germans.

Things I like on the G37 compared to my 335is:

- Shifter - I miss the mechanical feel; the 335is is a bit notchy and even though it's a "short throw" it's a bit longer than the G. The clutch, however, is leaps and bounds better on the BMW.

- Tighter suspension - this surprised me a bit. I figured the BMW would have a tighter, more controlled ride, especially in the sporty 335is trim I got and the super low profile 19s. I hear BMW tuned the suspensions softer when they switched to the stiff runflats. Perhaps they went a bit too far... I liked the hunkered down, stiff ride of the G37S

- Steering feel - I prefer the bimmer's steering weight and steering wheel over the G37 but you could feel more feedback in the G steering

There are many things I enjoy on the 335is over the G. The cache, the rarity (more along the 335is which is rarer than an M3), the teutonic feel of the doors, parts, etc. The N54 is a SWEET engine. Torque EVERYWHERE, any gear, anytime. The exhaust is intoxicating. The seats, superb.

All said, though, the only reason I went to BMW is because Infiniti didn't include a 6MT. I was very happy with the G and if I didn't have engine problems towards the end of the lease I would have purchased the car and kept it for several more years.

Great ride, I think you would be happy.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:00 PM
linusent01

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by g37ex35
I'm currently leasing a 2013 335is 6MT which I picked up a month or two ago. I came from a 2010 G37S 6MT sedan which I also leased.

The G37S 6MT is a gem as it's a rare breed nowadays. The new Q50 appears to have lost its sporty edge and the lack of a 6MT immediately turned me towards the Germans.

Things I like on the G37 compared to my 335is:

- Shifter - I miss the mechanical feel; the 335is is a bit notchy and even though it's a "short throw" it's a bit longer than the G. The clutch, however, is leaps and bounds better on the BMW.

- Tighter suspension - this surprised me a bit. I figured the BMW would have a tighter, more controlled ride, especially in the sporty 335is trim I got and the super low profile 19s. I hear BMW tuned the suspensions softer when they switched to the stiff runflats. Perhaps they went a bit too far... I liked the hunkered down, stiff ride of the G37S

- Steering feel - I prefer the bimmer's steering weight and steering wheel over the G37 but you could feel more feedback in the G steering

There are many things I enjoy on the 335is over the G. The cache, the rarity (more along the 335is which is rarer than an M3), the teutonic feel of the doors, parts, etc. The N54 is a SWEET engine. Torque EVERYWHERE, any gear, anytime. The exhaust is intoxicating. The seats, superb.

All said, though, the only reason I went to BMW is because Infiniti didn't include a 6MT. I was very happy with the G and if I didn't have engine problems towards the end of the lease I would have purchased the car and kept it for several more years.

Great ride, I think you would be happy.

What engine problems did you get on the G37?
Old 05-10-2013, 10:36 PM
g37ex35

Originally Posted by linusent01
What engine problems did you get on the G37?
Check engine light kept coming on and the car would idle high when it did. Codes threw cylinder misfires. After a couple attempts by replacing the plugs and coils they ultimately pulled the head gasket off and said it was leaking. 3-4 weeks later (with a G37 Coupe loaner which helped seal the deal that I didn't want a G Coupe) I got my car back. The parts were on back order and they had the engine out and apart.

If I didn't have the engine problems I would have bought the car.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:31 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a 540i for 4 years. I liked the car but one thing or another, broke so often that I was afraid to take it on longer trips.
I traded it for a GS 430 that was faster and stopped shorter. The Gs 430 never had any thing break, but it was kind of a bland driving experience.
I have been very satisfied with my 2010 G37 for the 3+ years I've owned it.
I was thinking about getting a 335i, when I instead bought the G37, but thought I'd feel like a real fool if it turned out as bad, reliability wise, as my previous 540i.

Tom
Old 05-11-2013, 01:41 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
g37ex35, good review. Have not driven a 3 in a long while and you reminded me what it is like. BMW clutch is awesome, I will go so far as to say German clutches as a whole are night and day better than Japanese clutches.
One other thing I recall is BMW has got it down that the engine and exhaust note sound really good stock, all part of that experience.

Last edited by rlo; 05-11-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Vini
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
We had a 08 BMW 550I and even though everything was covered under warranty we were at the dealership almost twice a month... besides that my wife and I really loved the damn car... The G37S is maybe 80% as fun to drive but without any headaches... If I ever got another BMW I would lease and never buy again. It cost us over 5K to get out of the BMW once the warranty expired.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:40 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Bottom line.... YOU need to drive them both and compare. Everyone's tastes and preferences are different.

I cross shopped an IS350, 335i, and 135i with the G37 coupe.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/other-c...-vs-335-a.html

Here were my impressions right after driving them (note, this was 2009):

I cross shopped the IS350, G37 coupe, 135 and 335's a few months ago and settled on the G37 coupe.

The 135 and 335 performancewise, were a tad better than the G. The straight line acceleration and handling were a little better and the 6 speed steptronic in the BMW shifted a little quicker than the G. On a scale of 1 to 10 the BMW's were 9s and the G was an 8.

Interiorwise, it was like comparing filet mignon to a hamburger, the G flat out dominated. I was comparing similar packages and costs and the G you got a lot more for the cost. On a scale of 1 to 10 the G was a 9 and the BMWs were 5s.

Also, I liked the idea of having a true VLSD in the rear vs. the electronic brake control. I got the computer to cut power a few times when I test drove the 135.

Modwise, the BMW's win. FI is much easier to mod and get significant gains vs NA but I was trying to get a car stock that was almost where I wanted it to be, rather than mod the hell out of it to get a few more hp, so that wasnt a deciding factor for me.

So the BMW's had the slight edge in performance, the G had a huge edge in the interior, and both were a push with exterior styling for me. I think if they were the same exact price, it would have been a very tough decision for me but the BMW's inflated pricetag made it a much easier decision.

Overall, I would have been a happy camper in either car but theres no way the BMW was worth that much more than the G37.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:38 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Vini
We had a 08 BMW 550I and even though everything was covered under warranty we were at the dealership almost twice a month... besides that my wife and I really loved the damn car... The G37S is maybe 80% as fun to drive but without any headaches... If I ever got another BMW I would lease and never buy again. It cost us over 5K to get out of the BMW once the warranty expired.
People would tell me that my BMW 540i was under warranty, so I shouldn't worry about all the stuff that went wrong.
That was true. It didn't cost me anything whenever I brought it in, but it got very old having to constantly bring it back to the dealer for one thing or another.
After owning a car that was so unreliable as the BMW, when shopping for another car, reliability tends to go toward the top of the list.
Tom
Old 05-11-2013, 09:10 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by movinon
People would tell me that my BMW 540i was under warranty, so I shouldn't worry about all the stuff that went wrong.
That was true. It didn't cost me anything whenever I brought it in, but it got very old having to constantly bring it back to the dealer for one thing or another.
After owning a car that was so unreliable as the BMW, when shopping for another car, reliability tends to go toward the top of the list.
Tom
Our 02 7 Series needed front bushings, a drivers side seat belt tensioner/sensor, trunk lid would open mysteriously (and only open part way when you pushed the button), transmission would wind up then clunk when coasting down, seat massage would stick at full compression, head light had an intermittent flicker and would go completely out at times, main control module went out. Probably a few other things I have forgotten. All in all to fix or replace the effected items would have been well over $20k.
I would have had to take on a decent part time job just to keep the beast road worthy
My two Infinitis have cost me zero, just a few TSBs applied
Old 05-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Ft W Crew

Just went from a 2008 528i to 2012 G sedan. The bmw had better grip to the road more solid and a few little features than the G, however I do not have any buyers remorse at all. I miss the triple blink turn signal the most for daily driving. As far as performance the bmw hugged the road better but the G is faster. I think if you own an over engineered German car it better be under warranty based on my experience.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:44 PM
keraxis

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
5 is diffrent

Want a direct comparison its 328 to g37. 5 series is compared to the v8 m45. Price for price. A g37 eats a 328 (even the new turbo one). But you are correct that the 5 series is supposed to be floaty and cushion you from road noise. As for car and driver they cant be believed when it comes to anything german (especially the 3 series) Funny how they keep a 335i for a long range tester yet never had one problem... not even the run flats.

Originally Posted by g37guy01
The 530 mt was rated the best car consumer reports ever owned. What you call floaty was a perfect suspension in 2006.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Just a random thought but I can't understand why German made cars have been so unreliable for so many years? They make fantastic and solid driving vehicles and Germany has always had one of the strongest economies. And the German people have always been proud of their efficiency and no nonsense work ethic yet their auto industry, which is their pride and joy, has garnered a well deserved thumbs down for reliability with every major manufacturer. BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Volkswagon have always been near the top of the list for unreliability. Its like the Swiss knowing their watches will eventually stop ticking after a couple of years but don't do anything about it because customers should be satisfied as to how well it keeps time when it does work and how nice it looks on your wrist.

You would figure after so many years that Germany, out of all countries, would be embarrassed with this black mark against thier cars and really concentrate on making them rock solid with reliablity like the Japanese do. The improvements have been negligable after so many years, even though they must figure sales would skyrocket if they had the Japanese reputation for reliability. It seems like they take pride in selling vehicles that will give you headache after headache as a punishment for driving such a smooth vehicle. I just don't get it. I wanna get it but I just don't.

Last edited by Yosemite Dan; 05-11-2013 at 09:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Considering converting from BMW to Infiniti