G37 Sedan

2014 Q50 Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 11:34 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by visualguy
That's fine, but unrelated to the question which was what are the features that kaotic was talking about that the Q50 has but the competition doesn't have.
Other than a hybrid drive train, and potential gt-r engine model coming down the pike I have no idea, and frankly it doesn't matter to me...
Old 05-03-2013, 11:35 PM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by SAL9000
I'm not sure what is going on now. First it was you want more "performance" because of stop-n-go traffic, and now it's not wanting more performance because of stop-n-go traffic...
You have to regularly drive the g in stop and go traffic to understand this issue.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:40 AM
SAL9000

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
You have to regularly drive the g in stop and go traffic to understand this issue.
Originally Posted by kanariya
Simply put, we want more power at low end where it matters
Like I said, I drive in stop-n-go every day. In the 7AT the first two gears are so short there is of plenty scoot.

Wanting more "power at the low end" is subjective and if I dare say a bit unrealistic, the G being a V6-powered car and all. Wanting a material bump you're going to have to look outside the entry level luxury segment.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:56 AM
g37guy01

Like I said, I drive in stop-n-go every day. In the 7AT the first two gears are so short there is of plenty scoot.

Wanting more "power at the low end" is subjective and if I dare say a bit unrealistic, the G being a V6-powered car and all. Wanting a material bump you're going to have to look outside the entry level luxury segment.
I'm not saying I would give up the g. However my old e46 was a pleasure in stop and go traffic. The 335 is also a pleasure to drive in the same type of traffic. The g not so much. Don't have to look outside the ELLPS segment.

I guess our expectations are different. Or your definition of stop and go is different than some of us.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:25 AM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tbh, my 4 banger 328i feels more responsive and nimble off the line in my DD.
and its a cheaper please than my previous g37x
Old 05-04-2013, 02:42 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
today, the traffic in L.A. was exceptionally atrocious, being Friday. Combine that with the 93 degree weather, the G drove like it was out of breath after a 20 mile marathon. I just about drove it off the clift, until I somehow got home. Then I got in the Audi with DSG and calmed down.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:12 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Ok, so what are those features?
blind spot waring/prevention
lane departure warning/prevention
back up collision intervention
foward emergency brake assist
full speed adaptive cruise control (non full speed adaptive in s4)
predictive forward collision control
advance climate control with air pruification system
distance control assist
active lane control
new steering system that is fully adjustable in more ways than the audi
around view monitor with moving object detection
back seats that fit a full size adult properly
Hyrbid technology for better mpg
a much more advanced memory system with customizable driving modes
1 year tellecomunications subscription (vs 3 months)
I am sure there are some I am missing

As stated these may not be for you, but they are there and they are available, so they do count
The following 3 users liked this post by kaoticdemize:
g37guy01 (05-04-2013), mj_39 (05-04-2013), soundmike (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 04:22 PM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kaoticdemize
blind spot waring/prevention
lane departure warning/prevention
back up collision intervention
foward emergency brake assist
full speed adaptive cruise control (non full speed adaptive in s4)
predictive forward collision control
advance climate control with air pruification system
distance control assist
active lane control
new steering system that is fully adjustable in more ways than the audi
around view monitor with moving object detection
back seats that fit a full size adult properly
Hyrbid technology for better mpg
a much more advanced memory system with customizable driving modes
1 year tellecomunications subscription (vs 3 months)
I am sure there are some I am missing

As stated these may not be for you, but they are there and they are available, so they do count

most of the said features are being offered by the competitors already. most of the are gimmick anyways.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:53 PM
g37ex35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's exactly the problem - the Q50 is very close in price to significantly better cars. For just a few thousand dollars more, you get a car with a much more satisfying drivetrain, and equal or better in all or most other areas. The price difference is small relative to the price of the car.
Wow, wild. Just went to Infiniti's site to price one out. With the options I would want it comes out to 52k. CRAZY.

Agreed. I just got a 2013 335is after cross-shopping the S4. Never would have thought the Infiniti would be in the same price point. Ambitious.

Now of course, if the sport version was a true, hard sports sedan like the S4 with a proper 6MT I might be more curious but at this price point I think Infiniti is going to be challenged. People are going to want the Audi or BMW badge.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:10 PM
g37guy01

That's exactly the problem - the Q50 is very close in price to significantly better cars. For just a few thousand dollars more, you get a car with a much more satisfying drivetrain, and equal or better in all or most other areas. The price difference is small relative to the price of the car.
Your idea of significantly better is probably different from mine, asked on the criteria. Btw, how was your test drive of the q50? That is the only way you can make the assertion other cars are significantly better.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:45 PM
SAL9000

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by g37ex35
Wow, wild. Just went to Infiniti's site to price one out. With the options I would want it comes out to 52k. CRAZY.

Agreed. I just got a 2013 335is after cross-shopping the S4. Never would have thought the Infiniti would be in the same price point. Ambitious.

Now of course, if the sport version was a true, hard sports sedan like the S4 with a proper 6MT I might be more curious but at this price point I think Infiniti is going to be challenged. People are going to want the Audi or BMW badge.
The Q50 is being rebranded by Infiniti. Gone are the G's bargain basement performance and raw somewhat unrefined nature that in sum total didn't exactly have a direct competitor. The Q50 is now much more the competitor to the IS/GS crowd. IMO it plainly is NOT going after the S4 crowd.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:46 PM
kaoticdemize

Originally Posted by kanariya
most of the said features are being offered by the competitors already. most of the are gimmick anyways.
those are features an S4 cannot get, you were talking specifically about those, so there it be. the Bmw has a couple of the features, but no where close to all of those. Alo their around view monitor, is actually not a tru around view, the cameras are mounted on the side by the front tires and have a lot of negative space in the middle. I could do another list for the 3 series if you like.

Again priorities might be different for you, and that's fine, but you are making innaccurate statements in an attempt to generalize, if it is skewed for your decision, then have at it, obviously this car is not for you, but I can assure you, sales will go up.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:38 PM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
This thread is a mess...

The Q50 will still capture the bargain segment the G did. It still starts at $36-37k. (Yeah yeah, it comes with pleather, the Germans have been doing this for years and the normal joe blow won't be able to tell the difference if no one pointed it out to them). Nicely optioned with leather and Nav is $42k. Still a relatively good deal and this will be the majority of sales. There is def more options on the top end, so yes fully loaded models will be more expensive than a fully loaded G37.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:47 PM
kaoticdemize

Originally Posted by nisslover
This thread is a mess...

The Q50 will still capture the bargain segment the G did. It still starts at $36-37k. (Yeah yeah, it comes with pleather, the Germans have been doing this for years and the normal joe blow won't be able to tell the difference if no one pointed it out to them). Nicely optioned with leather and Nav is $42k. Still a relatively good deal and this will be the majority of sales. There is def more options on the top end, so yes fully loaded models will be more expensive than a fully loaded G37.

Good point.

Q50 premium nav leather - 42,805
G37 premium nav 42,345
Old 05-05-2013, 04:12 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
When comparing pricepoints, one thing to consider is the HYBRID. The hybrid drivetrain is expensive and its going to draw people towards it because there is no other performance AWD hybrid near that pricepoint.

I dont think the Q50 was meant as a competitor to an S4. However, if you want similar performance as an S4 only with 10 more mpgs, then the Q50 might fit the bill.

Quick Reply: 2014 Q50 Review