G37 Sedan

2014 Q50 Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 01:52 PM
visualguy

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kaoticdemize
I love people saying the S4 has better ergonomics and materials, without actually seeing the q50, feeling and touching it, sitting in it, driving in it. And as I have stated previously, if I didnt care about comfort, space, tech then I too would go for an S4 if performance was all that mattered, but to many it isn't. Again I have had a couple S model audi's, I don't dislike them, I just don't see the connection between the two. And I have had both BMW and Audi's out of warranty, I would say about 70% of my german vehicles did have issues, much more than any of my nissan/infiniti's I've owned
In what way are the ergonomics or materials, etc. of the S4/S5 worse than those of the Q50? I haven't seen anyone else complain about this aspect of the S4/S5 (quite the contrary - these interiors are considered among the very best). I certainly haven't found anything to complain about (and I'm picky!)

Not sure what you mean by "not seeing the connection" between these cars. It seems very reasonable to compare the Q50 to the S4 considering the type of car (midsize luxury sport sedan), and the price.

As to the reliability of the cars, Audis of recent years seem to do very well actually. You can see that on TrueDelta. Can't tell about the really long term yet, of course.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:56 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I've noticed a difference in personal preference of style between Asian car enthusiasts and European car enthusiasts. For the most part, people who tend to favor the Japanese cars doesn't appreciate the minimalist design of European cars. Audi's materials and fit and finish for their interiors are regarded among one of the top and is often used as a benchmark for other cars comparing interiors.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:57 PM
kcg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree, people always pick forum nit-pick VAG, my 96 audi had 175k on it, only major replacement was fuel pump -at 160k. Our 07 Eos, 1st year of a 1st gen car, only has been back for intake flap recall. My brother's got Ur-s4 which has had 0 issues, it's a '94.
I'd buy a Jetta R in a heart beat if they made one. I love my G and it's been dead nuts reliable compared to my BMs of yore, but it doesn't have the solidity of the Germans. Take away the fun of 6mt, meh, just another pseudo sport sedan.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:00 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
I am not saying the S4/S5 are bad, I am saying the Q50 is better, we sat in them and drove them side by side. It's not really reasonable to comare a Q50 and an S4. S4 is a much more sport oriented vehicle, like a 3 series and an m3. working with Infiniti for about 3 years now and I can count on one hand how many cross shoppers I had for the S4, always the A4. We will have a car coming that will compete more directly with the S4/M3/Amg etc Yes audi's have been getting better, but it's still there. Again I am not creating this to bash the Audi, I do personally like them, I am stating my opinions on the Q50 with competitors.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:17 PM
volnedan

Fair or not fair, you must include the powertrain similarities when comparing vehicles in the same segment.

The A4 crowd will say its not fair to compare a 330hp V6 sedan with the 211hp I4 sedan, which starts at a much lower price point.

The G series was such a great value because it had the internals to compete with a 335, but was priced closer to a 328. If you wanna be priced like the big boys, you have to perform like them. If I'm paying $48k for a Q50 Sport, it better run to 60 in 4.8 sec and get real world 26mpg combined just like a 335 sedan.

Otherwise I'll live with the performance gap and save myself the extra $8~$10k.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:24 PM
visualguy

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
working with Infiniti for about 3 years now and I can count on one hand how many cross shoppers I had for the S4, always the A4. We will have a car coming that will compete more directly with the S4/M3/Amg etc
The price difference between the G37 and S4 was more significant, so people were comparing to the A4. I think you will see more people now comparing to the S4 because the price of the Q50 is close to that of the S4.

I'm certainly looking forward to the more sporty competitor from Infiniti. I think many of us were hoping that it would be the Q50, hence the disappointment.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:31 PM
SAL9000

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
you must not live in a congested metro area then.
I live in/near one of the top 3 congested areas of the US actually.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:37 PM
sniper27

if you are able to get up to 7k rpm at every light or in stop and go traffic, then I doubt it.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:46 PM
SAL9000

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I am not saying the S4/S5 are bad, I am saying the Q50 is better, we sat in them and drove them side by side. It's not really reasonable to comare a Q50 and an S4. S4 is a much more sport oriented vehicle, like a 3 series and an m3. working with Infiniti for about 3 years now and I can count on one hand how many cross shoppers I had for the S4, always the A4. We will have a car coming that will compete more directly with the S4/M3/Amg etc Yes audi's have been getting better, but it's still there. Again I am not creating this to bash the Audi, I do personally like them, I am stating my opinions on the Q50 with competitors.
I x-shopped with the S4. Coming out of ~350,000 virtually trouble free miles driving two different Japanese cars, if I could have convinced myself of ~75,000-90,000 relatively trouble free miles out of an S4, I would have gone with the S4. Thing is, I couldn't do it, ergo, I bought the G37x.

I too have trouble envisioning the Q50 being better in sum total than the S4. If so, the Q50 is an astonishing piece of engineering. Though I like my G37x, I don't think Infiniti is capable of it (especially in terms of interior design and quality, and in particular, rampant interior buzzing/rattling/popping).
Old 05-03-2013, 02:53 PM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
I have a 40m r/t to work. Average mph at the end of the week is 22.
I don't commute. just a weekend driver and my average mph usually sit around 16-20mph for the tank unless I go on an out of state trip.

sucks I know. when the highways have 45mph limits. the best ones has 55.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:33 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by volnedan
Fair or not fair, you must include the powertrain similarities when comparing vehicles in the same segment.

The A4 crowd will say its not fair to compare a 330hp V6 sedan with the 211hp I4 sedan, which starts at a much lower price point.

The G series was such a great value because it had the internals to compete with a 335, but was priced closer to a 328. If you wanna be priced like the big boys, you have to perform like them. If I'm paying $48k for a Q50 Sport, it better run to 60 in 4.8 sec and get real world 26mpg combined just like a 335 sedan.

Otherwise I'll live with the performance gap and save myself the extra $8~$10k.
Agreed with performance, but you need to also take into consideration the other attributes to the car. If you just want the performance aspect of the Q50 then spend 36k and get a base.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Preludator

I cannot believe that we are comparing an Audi S4 with the new Q50. There is obvious knowledge base and heritage we cannot discuss. I own a G37s and extremely happy with it overall, but only did get one to save myself the extra $$$ for a loaded BMW 335i. No car is trouble free. If you are looking for a mix of reliability, comfort, and performance, then an Infiniti or Lexus does satisfy plenty. German engineering is about class, icons, refinement, heavy safe metal, and performance. granted the Germans do also suffer from reliability but if well taken care of, they last a long time. Anyone been to Europe, can clearly see that even old Mercs and BMW's from the 90's are cruising at high speed on the highway and run fantastically well. its a given, European cars are better mantained where they are made. Mechanics know how to work on them unlike here in the USA. the only difference is that Japenese cars are somewhat simple to work on but that trends is changing rapidely as we are adding more computers and technology. If Infiniti will be selling a fully loaded Q50 for $50k and above, i will say that I will pass. Infiniti has been very successful at offering great product value price. Hopefully the new Q50 will be well priced to sway me from going to BMW....
On seperate note, true drivers do know that there is nothing that handles like a BMW...and no we are not talking about sport cars like Porsche or Ferrari's.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Preludator

Oh... I needed to add that my G37s have had quiet few issues and had its share of going back to the dealership. Not to mention, am on my 3rd clutch with 45k miles. Apparently, Infiniti had a defective clutch and ignored it for the models 08 and 09. So, my point is NO CAR is perfect however a car can be your perfect match for the value you are looking for. People who buy Germans do not care about reliability as much as they care about driving pleasure, status, and safety.
Some of us who are money tight, always end up buying Japanese at the end of the day...
Old 05-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Preludator

The sad part is why we are not buying American genuine cars.????? We need an Apple like Company innovation to produce some exciting cars all together and take the world by storm. If I have better choices, I'd rather give my money to American carmakers and keep the wealth here support our economy locally....
GM, Ford, and others just woke up from their long nap and it will take them awhile before they start offering us what we really want.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:54 PM
sniper27

Originally Posted by Preludator
Oh... I needed to add that my G37s have had quiet few issues and had its share of going back to the dealership. Not to mention, am on my 3rd clutch with 45k miles. Apparently, Infiniti had a defective clutch and ignored it for the models 08 and 09. So, my point is NO CAR is perfect however a car can be your perfect match for the value you are looking for. People who buy Germans do not care about reliability as much as they care about driving pleasure, status, and safety.
Some of us who are money tight, always end up buying Japanese at the end of the day...
I've said many times before, Infiniti has always been a "value based" choice for a lot of people. People always say, "for the money, you can't beat the Infiniti", or they were x shopping at BMW or Audi, but ended up with the Infiniti because they paid $xxx less. Well, it seems like if they were willing to pay more, then they get the BMW or Audi, but settled for the Infiniti because of it's "value". Put it at the same price range as a BMW or Audi, then I wonder what these buyers would do?

Quick Reply: 2014 Q50 Review