G37 Sedan

2014 Q50 Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 09:58 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SAL9000
In the G 7AT, you hit 7,000 RPM in each of the first three gears before 85 mph if one should so desire.

In my DD give me a great N/A motor and transmission and I'm golden. G37's got the motor, just needs a bit of work on the transmission (my hope is a 7-8 speed DSG for the Q50).

I loath forced induction for innumerate reasons. The only such cars I'd ever consider are the GTR and S4 (I'd probably take the 911 PDK and it'd be a tossup with the E90 M3 DCT).
The g moves, but it stinks in heavy stop and go traffic between 10 and 30. This is where a turbo would make it much better.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:33 AM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CodeG
I would pick the S4 over the Q50 too if pricing is very close. I just love the ergonomic of the Audi. With that said, maintenance cost will be higher for the Audi. Just simple things like tires, if one is bad you'll have to replace all 4. And I don't even want to think about replacing parts for the Audi when the warranty is out. That brings no joy. However I am just curious why people keep complaint about the "low torque" of the VQ. Because I have trouble with keeping the tires from spinning off the line with my stock auto!
The G's problem is not the VQ.
It's the combination of the drivetrain put together.

NA engines are naturally weaker at low end. but it's not the main issue.
With a sluggish 7AT and the pedal lag. the car feels heavy and not willing to move off the lights.
If you have the AWD you will experience the worst of it.

After a few years of this it's getting frustrated. This car is supposed to be nimble and responsive. Not mentioning the material quality such as seat bubbles, interior trim peeling and the rattling.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:37 AM
kanariya

In the G 7AT, you hit 7,000 RPM in each of the first three gears before 85 mph if one should so desire.

In my DD give me a great N/A motor and transmission and I'm golden. G37's got the motor, just needs a bit of work on the transmission (my hope is a 7-8 speed DSG for the Q50).

I loath forced induction for innumerate reasons. The only such cars I'd ever consider are the GTR and S4 (I'd probably take the 911 PDK and it'd be a tossup with the E90 M3 DCT).
That's exactly the problem. I don't want to hit 7000 RPM off every stops to get the power.

As DD I want a reasonable balance of power, MPG, comfort and fun.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:12 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by kanariya
The G's problem is not the VQ.
It's the combination of the drivetrain put together.

NA engines are naturally weaker at low end. but it's not the main issue.
With a sluggish 7AT and the pedal lag. the car feels heavy and not willing to move off the lights.
If you have the AWD you will experience the worst of it.

After a few years of this it's getting frustrated. This car is supposed to be nimble and responsive. Not mentioning the material quality such as seat bubbles, interior trim peeling and the rattling.
I've got no problems moving my 2010 xS from a stop. None at all.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:28 AM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Mine take's off from lights like its pants are on fire.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:30 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
my 2010 moves from a stop also...just slowly, unless I slam on the gas and hit 6000rpm. Why would anyone want to do that at every light or stop sign, or in freeway traffic?
Old 05-03-2013, 11:36 AM
sniper27

Also, just curious. All of you who complains about reliability issues with Audi, how many actually owned one out of warranty? Or do you just "hear" about it from someone who heard from someone? This is probably true back in the days, but they are actually not bad these days. I've owned 2 Audis and each had about the same amount of repairs as my gf's previous Lexus IS and my dad's previous Acura. And let me tell you, maintenance and repairs are not cheap on a Lexus either.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:52 AM
SAL9000

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
That's exactly the problem. I don't want to hit 7000 RPM off every stops to get the power.

As DD I want a reasonable balance of power, MPG, comfort and fun.
Do you want a hi-po car then?
Old 05-03-2013, 11:55 AM
SAL9000

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
The g moves, but it stinks in heavy stop and go traffic between 10 and 30. This is where a turbo would make it much better.
No, not really, and not only because the acceleration demands of that kind of driving are very low.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:09 PM
sniper27

No, not really, and not only because the acceleration demands of that kind of driving are very low.
you must not live in a congested metro area then.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:46 PM
kanariya

its the driving I do 90% of the time
Old 05-03-2013, 12:47 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
I love people saying the S4 has better ergonomics and materials, without actually seeing the q50, feeling and touching it, sitting in it, driving in it. And as I have stated previously, if I didnt care about comfort, space, tech then I too would go for an S4 if performance was all that mattered, but to many it isn't. Again I have had a couple S model audi's, I don't dislike them, I just don't see the connection between the two. And I have had both BMW and Audi's out of warranty, I would say about 70% of my german vehicles did have issues, much more than any of my nissan/infiniti's I've owned
Old 05-03-2013, 12:53 PM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
^ did Infiniti change the cushion on the seats or just the design? Is it the same weak foam that will bubble? Also did you ask why they left out cooled seats and remote start?
Did the plastic look like it was the same fading / easy scratched plastic in our current cars?
Is it safe to assume the coupe will cost more than the sedan like the G37? If so in your opinion will that just totally hurt Infiniti pricing it close to the S5, 445 coupes?

Also any plans for free maintenance programs from Infiniti with raising the prices?
Old 05-03-2013, 01:02 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
its the driving I do 90% of the time
I have a 40m r/t to work. Average mph at the end of the week is 22.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:08 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by RYs06MT
^ did Infiniti change the cushion on the seats or just the design? Is it the same weak foam that will bubble? Also did you ask why they left out cooled seats and remote start?
Did the plastic look like it was the same fading / easy scratched plastic in our current cars?
Is it safe to assume the coupe will cost more than the sedan like the G37? If so in your opinion will that just totally hurt Infiniti pricing it close to the S5, 445 coupes?

Also any plans for free maintenance programs from Infiniti with raising the prices?
from what I have heard there is no plans yet to add maintenance, it is being talked about but nothing solid. The foam is different, the seats are different, the design is different, the material is different. I don't see this having those same issues. The coupe will most likely be priced higher than the sedan, but I don't forsee the coupe getting the hybrid treatment, so not sure exactly how the pricing will be for it. Now we know the coupe will be a little further out, so I would suspect there would be significant changes to the engine/tranny and not have a carry over (for the redesign) but again all speculation. I couldn't see them pricing the Q60 into the 60k mark without having an engine that is worth it. The Q50 seems like it went the road of luxury, I feel the coupe will go more to the performance aspect. Again though all speculation even though based on good information.

Quick Reply: 2014 Q50 Review