G37 Sedan

2014 Q50 Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 09:27 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by baksdak
Thanks for the review! Can't wait to drive it myself. Hopefully, the high residuals along with decent incentives will continue to keep the leasing attractive. The 3-series is leasing pretty well right now...
residuals are the same right now as the current G and the money factors are the same as the JX
Old 04-29-2013, 10:06 PM
visualguy

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kaoticdemize
At 50k plus though you are looking at a lot of equipment, so if you go without the tech and make it compared to a prestige s4, then you would be at in the mid 50's. Package for package it will still be quite a bit lower. And therein lies the issue with the Infinti brand is people want all the stuff without paying for it lol. I would foresee Infiniti offering some incentives relatively close to release, maybe 6 months or so as this is for now the bread and butter. Btw a loaded a4 is up at 52k, so I would pick the s4 as well
I'd be willing to pay for it... My view is that Infiniti should just build a car that's equal to the S4 or better, and charge a similar price. Infiniti can win on their reputation for reliability, and their overall better dealers. Just make an all-around top-notch luxury sport sedan like the S4 and be done with it.

This whole not-quite-as-good but 15% less expensive thing isn't all that exciting. It would be if the price difference was larger; for 15%, I'd just stretch my budget to get the best (with 6MT, of course), but that's just me. I own both an S5 and a G37 which my wife drives. I got the G37 before driving the S4/S5 - I wouldn't get it again (not that it's bad - just not as good), and I can't imagine that Infiniti could have tweaked the engine and transmission in the Q50 enough to make it anywhere close.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:16 PM
kaoticdemize

again it won't compete with the S4 on the engine fore front (yet) it's the rest of it that will obliterate the S4
Old 04-29-2013, 11:52 PM
visualguy

again it won't compete with the S4 on the engine fore front (yet) it's the rest of it that will obliterate the S4
How? Is the Q50 AWD implementation better than that of the S4? Is the Q50 rear differential better than the S4 torque vectoring differential? Is the Q50 torque converter automatic better than the dual-clutch automatic on the S4? How do you conclude that the Q50 will obliterate the S4 other than the engine? I don't see it.

The only area where I can see potential for the Q50 to win is steering. The EPS on the S4/S5 could be better. It's not bad - it just feels artificial. Maybe the Q50 hydraulic steering is better, and it would certainly be impressive if they got even the steer-by-wire to be better.

Also, how come the G37, which was supposedly so great and competitive before, suddenly has a seriously laggy throttle, unrefined automatic, and crass engine, all of which are fixed in the Q50 somehow even though the drivetrain seems to be the same?

It sounds like a more exciting version of the Q50 with a better engine (and maybe 6MT or at least DCT???) is coming - I would just wait for that... I'd be the first to buy it if it can match or exceed the S4.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:00 AM
kaoticdemize

you obviously missed the point I was trying to make. s4 will win in the performance category, the rest of the car, you know the other things other than the engine, it will obliterate the S4.The steering however in the Q50 is definitely better than that in the audi. Also I am not saying the previous iteration of the G37 was an in superior vehicle to begin with, but with everything there is room for improvement Yes the transmission is now smoother and more responsive. Just because on paper the specs are the same for a drivetrain, does not mean they are the same. There are new metals used in the engine for lower weight as well for a different distribution of balance The ecu is reprogrammed as well as the transmission. That would be like saying the the mid 80's 5.0 mustang must be the same as the new one because it is the same coyote 5.0 changes do happen. As I have said, imo this vehicle is not a direct competitor for the S4, but it is for the A4 and in that regards there is no competition. We will be getting vehicles that are more competitive with the M series, amg series and the s line, but this is not it.

here is a question for you, if they do come out with a vehicle that matches the S4 but is priced the same would you go for it?
Old 04-30-2013, 02:19 AM
visualguy

here is a question for you, if they do come out with a vehicle that matches the S4 but is priced the same would you go for it?
Yes, I would. The thing is that by the time Infiniti introduces the high-performance version of the Q50 (IPL or whatever they call it), the B9 S4 may also be introduced, so the bar may be higher...
Old 05-01-2013, 02:59 PM
unstealthyNinja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you obviously missed the point I was trying to make. s4 will win in the performance category, the rest of the car, you know the other things other than the engine, it will obliterate the S4...As I have said, imo this vehicle is not a direct competitor for the S4, but it is for the A4
I always thought that the G/Q50 was positioned to be the sporty car? The more I hear, the more it sounds like the Q50 is the new M, while the M replacement will move up-segment. And to top it off, you were driving the Q50 sport- so why is the Infiniti sport model not to be compared with the Audi sport model?

Also, I'm assuming you (kaotic) work for either Infiniti corporate or a dealership; your review reads almost like a brochure. Is there anything you didn't like about the car? This would be more important to me what saying everything was great.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:05 PM
kaoticdemize

The G/Q50 is still a sport vehicle, but it compares to a 3 series not an m3, same thing with the audi, it competes with a4 not the S4. C350 not a c63, see the pattern? Yes it seems to be incringing on the M platform as far as luxury goes, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but you can still get a normally equipped Q50 without going into the M area.

yes I do work for a dealership and it may sound as a brochure, but it was my review and takeawy from the car in an explained manner, I was attempting to be informative. what didn't I like about the car? Technically the car is great, not much I can fault on with that they did. I would have liked to have seen cooled seats, not sure why this has not made its way into the car yet, especially in the Hybrid. I was worried about the adaptive steering, but after driving it, do not have an issue with it. this Q50 is less sporty around the track then the previous iteration, but agian could be due to the added weight of 4 grown people in the car and being a pre production model. The fact that it doesn't have a manual transmission, but again to a positive, the automatic has been improved. It's a little largo for this segmnet, more in the size of a TL than a 3 series/a4 but I don;t see this as a negative or positive, just subjective. Your asking me thought to fault a car that I experienced no faults in, would I prefer more horsepower and performance to match an S4, M3, C63, ISF etc yes, but that is not what the car is designed for, so I need to be subjective and take that out of consideration. Now if I go to drive the car we will be bringing out to compete with those and it doesn't match up, then I would have a problem with it. But for this category, and what this vehicle is meant to compete with, there is no real competition.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:00 PM
thestumper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Infinity marketing army can't arbitrarily decide what this car competes with; the market, specs, and price will determine that whether they like it or not. As it stands at 52-54K, it sits right up against the Audi S4 and is actually a few thousand more than a comparatively equipped BMW 335xi. That's real competition. It's about $10,000 more than a comparatively equipped A4 and C350 Infinity "wants" it to compete with (TMV from Edmunds - 2013 models). I definitely see a pattern...
Old 05-01-2013, 06:14 PM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The G/Q50 is still a sport vehicle, but it compares to a 3 series not an m3, same thing with the audi, it competes with a4 not the S4. C350 not a c63, see the pattern? Yes it seems to be incringing on the M platform as far as luxury goes, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but you can still get a normally equipped Q50 without going into the M area.

yes I do work for a dealership and it may sound as a brochure, but it was my review and takeawy from the car in an explained manner, I was attempting to be informative. what didn't I like about the car? Technically the car is great, not much I can fault on with that they did. I would have liked to have seen cooled seats, not sure why this has not made its way into the car yet, especially in the Hybrid. I was worried about the adaptive steering, but after driving it, do not have an issue with it. this Q50 is less sporty around the track then the previous iteration, but agian could be due to the added weight of 4 grown people in the car and being a pre production model. The fact that it doesn't have a manual transmission, but again to a positive, the automatic has been improved. It's a little largo for this segmnet, more in the size of a TL than a 3 series/a4 but I don;t see this as a negative or positive, just subjective. Your asking me thought to fault a car that I experienced no faults in, would I prefer more horsepower and performance to match an S4, M3, C63, ISF etc yes, but that is not what the car is designed for, so I need to be subjective and take that out of consideration. Now if I go to drive the car we will be bringing out to compete with those and it doesn't match up, then I would have a problem with it. But for this category, and what this vehicle is meant to compete with, there is no real competition.
S4 actually competes with the 335i not the M3.

They have/had the RS4 for that.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:20 PM
kanariya

Originally Posted by unstealthyNinja
I always thought that the G/Q50 was positioned to be the sporty car? The more I hear, the more it sounds like the Q50 is the new M, while the M replacement will move up-segment. And to top it off, you were driving the Q50 sport- so why is the Infiniti sport model not to be compared with the Audi sport model?

Also, I'm assuming you (kaotic) work for either Infiniti corporate or a dealership; your review reads almost like a brochure. Is there anything you didn't like about the car? This would be more important to me what saying everything was great.
I get what you mean but I didn't want to point it out.

It's hard to believe all these improvements when the engine, platform and transmission are the same. Until I get to test drive one.
The following users liked this post:
unstealthyNinja (05-02-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 09:45 PM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Why is there SO MUCH doubt in the dudes opinion of the car? Its HIS opinion, its not like he'll get a sale for raving about the car here anyway. And is it THAT hard to believe that they were able to build a better car by extensive revision of an already good car... I mean DAMN! Stiffen an already good chassis, smooth out the engine, and update the software on the tranny can feel like a completely different car.

Yes, your final opinion will not be made until YOU drive the car but why try to bate negativity out of someone that really liked the car? Its pointless. He liked the car.

By the way the S4 fully loaded is a $60k car, 335xi M Sport $59k, the Q50 Hybrid AWD Sport is $55k.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:13 PM
visualguy

Originally Posted by nisslover
By the way the S4 fully loaded is a $60k car, 335xi M Sport $59k, the Q50 Hybrid AWD Sport is $55k.
That's exactly the problem - the Q50 is very close in price to significantly better cars. For just a few thousand dollars more, you get a car with a much more satisfying drivetrain, and equal or better in all or most other areas. The price difference is small relative to the price of the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by visualguy:
P Casey (05-01-2013), RYs06MT (05-01-2013), unstealthyNinja (05-02-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 10:44 PM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by visualguy
That's exactly the problem - the Q50 is very close in price to significantly better cars. For just a few thousand dollars more, you get a car with a much more satisfying drivetrain, and equal or better in all or most other areas. The price difference is small relative to the price of the car.
o_O Because you've driven the car... right? I'm not trying to be rude, but its just CRAZY to me how everyone is being so negative about a car they have yet to drive. How can you make the statements that are bolded above without driving it. The only thing you know is that it will slightly slower in the 3.7 (We still don't know how fast the Hybrid will be), but that doesn't make it the worst car. 0-60 doesn't make the best car or the more satisfying to drive.

The fact of the matter is, the car could be absolutely horrible, or it could be the new benchmark.

As far as the price... so does everyone want the bargain or the better car? Even still, there is a chance that the car matches the other cars, and is $4-5k cheaper.

The point is, you don't know, we don't know. Objectivity is not that hard....
Old 05-01-2013, 10:53 PM
kanariya

Originally Posted by nisslover
o_O Because you've driven the car... right? I'm not trying to be rude, but its just CRAZY to me how everyone is being so negative about a car they have yet to drive. How can you make the statements that are bolded above without driving it. The only thing you know is that it will slightly slower in the 3.7 (We still don't know how fast the Hybrid will be), but that doesn't make it the worst car. 0-60 doesn't make the best car or the more satisfying to drive.

The fact of the matter is, the car could be absolutely horrible, or it could be the new benchmark.

As far as the price... so does everyone want the bargain or the better car? Even still, there is a chance that the car matches the other cars, and is $4-5k cheaper.

The point is, you don't know, we don't know. Objectivity is not that hard....
The car we have yet to drive have the same drivetrain as the car we've driven for years. I don't have the confidence when they couldn't make the improvements prior the Q50.

Quick Reply: 2014 Q50 Review