G37 Sedan

2014 Q50 Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:51 PM
CROONEY1970

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan
Most may not be single but I would think that most luxury sedan buyers are in the 40 and up age range, established financially, and would have kids that are already teenagers and would have 2 vehicles (the 2nd one being the family hauler if necessary). I would be surprised if buyers with very small children are a big demographic for a sports sedan. I know its an informal poll but I've seen a lot of sports sedans on the road and very few have had car seats in the back. Most never even have people sitting in the back.
Uhh.....no. There are tons of people like my wife and I that don't wanna a run of the mill sedan. We want a top notch sports sedan that hauls *** and can bring kids with if needed and can't use a get a Boxter S or 911?????????? BMW does not offer this room in class vs the G, nor Audi, because their backseat legroom is Nill. If you people on this forum are going to keep giving me **** for this, then fine, Ill stop posting on this "ME" only G forum. C'mon parents.......speak up please
Old 05-13-2013, 11:12 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by CROONEY1970
Uhh.....no. There are tons of people like my wife and I that don't wanna a run of the mill sedan. We want a top notch sports sedan that hauls *** and can bring kids with if needed and can't use a get a Boxter S or 911?????????? BMW does not offer this room in class vs the G, nor Audi, because their backseat legroom is Nill. If you people on this forum are going to keep giving me **** for this, then fine, Ill stop posting on this "ME" only G forum. C'mon parents.......speak up please
My wife does day care and needs to haul a couple kids now & then. Perfect back seat for that duty, except always a chore to buckle the booster seat since the width of the booster is just about on top of the seat belt latch.

I will say this G sedan rear seat room is far superior to the Lexus IS lineup. If you want kids in the back w/ that car either their feet are imbedded in the seat back or your knees are imbedded in the dash
Old 05-14-2013, 01:25 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Really? Here are both cars specs per Motor Trend's web site

2013 G37-
Internal dimensions: front headroom (inches): 40.5, rear headroom (inches): 37.7, front hip room (inches): 55.1, rear hip room (inches): 53.7, front leg room (inches): 43.9, rear leg room (inches): 34.7, front shoulder room (inches): 55.6, rear shoulder room (inches): 55.2 and interior volume (cu ft): 99.0

2013 328i-
Internal dimensions: front headroom (inches): 40.3, rear headroom (inches): 37.7, front hip room (inches): 57.1, rear hip room (inches): 57.4, front leg room (inches): 42.0, rear leg room (inches): 35.1, front shoulder room (inches): 55.1 and rear shoulder room (inches): 55.1

The G has almost 2 more inches of rear legroom, even though this new model of 328 has .06" of increased rear legroom from the previous gen. The 328 has more front legroom than the G, but you don't put your kids up front. Comparing the two sedans before 2012 and both my brother's wife and mine were like "how do you put a car seat back there"? But, then again, I'm betting carseat function is the last thing on BMW's engineers minds
Originally Posted by sniper27
I believe you are reading this wrong. The G has almost 2 in more in front leg room, and the 328 has .4 in more rear leg room.
Did you not read my previous post? Your statistics shows that the new BMW 3 series has more rear legroom than the G. The Audi A4 also has more rear legroom than the G, with 35.2 in.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:03 AM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
how much space does the q50 have in the rear?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:14 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I would think over 50% of the buyers of luxury sports sedans are not single, and most have, or are planning on having kids. So the backseat space matters to the manufacturers. At least to Infiniti it does. Thank You Nissan
You made up this statistic based on what? Wet finger in the air?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:30 AM
GNN60GT500

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Parent checking in-

I have two car seats in the back of my G37

I also put the latch system in the back seats of my 600hp 56 Ford so sometimes there are car seats in that too though lol
Old 05-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
You made up this statistic based on what? Wet finger in the air?
It wasn't a statistic, it was an assumption, and phrased appropriately so. I think he's right. I'm guessing the majority of sedan owners have children, and that a strong percentage of them have car seats.

But that's just a guess. Stick your finger somewhere and prove it otherwise.
The following users liked this post:
CROONEY1970 (05-15-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 10:20 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by philter25
Anyone with kids?
Or anyone who carries passengers, basically. I have a sedan and it's so much easier to let passengers i care about get in, out and be comfortable back there.

One of my friends have a coupe, and although it's not that hard getting in the back, it's arguably nowhere near as easy nor as comfortable as on the sedan.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
One of my friends have a coupe, and although it's not that hard getting in the back...
Getting in isn't the problem, Mike... just fall down as gracefully as possible. The real challenge is getting out of the Coupe.

I was convinced for the longest time that I'd be buying a G37 Coupe, but the impracticality of that choice (for me) was overwhelming. So I bought the lighter Sedan, yet with all the true Sport goodies that come with the 6MT. No regrets what-so-ever. Somewhat less sportscar styling, but lots of personality and stealth.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:37 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
It wasn't a statistic, it was an assumption, and phrased appropriately so. I think he's right. I'm guessing the majority of sedan owners have children, and that a strong percentage of them have car seats.

But that's just a guess. Stick your finger somewhere and prove it otherwise.
I dont have to disprove a wet finger in the air, however that is not the question... the question is this has turned into, is what is the target demographic for the q50. My guess its not 30 something's with small kids and car seats. Although I'm sure a car seat can be shoe horned into a q50.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:39 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
You can actually fit an adult in the backseat of a coupe? Are they under 5' tall?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:51 AM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup thats what happened here. When the children got to a certain age she didnt want a small SUV anymore, so I offered a Lexus sedan. My wife looked at me like , G37 sedan instead.
People we know did something similar, dad couldnt fit two kids in a M3 coupe so they went to M5. And any Panamera's where I am always has a car seat or little bodies reaching around in the back seat.

It could also be my current lifestyle which tends to lead me to other parents so I a see the world through that lens.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:30 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Lol, it never ceases to amaze me how people can get so upset on a message board. I have kids too, a G37 and also an SUV to haul them in most times. Is that speaking up enough for ya? So what are we trying to prove again? That you want a G37 station wagon?
Old 05-14-2013, 05:55 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
Or anyone who carries passengers, basically. I have a sedan and it's so much easier to let passengers i care about get in, out and be comfortable back there.

One of my friends have a coupe, and although it's not that hard getting in the back, it's arguably nowhere near as easy nor as comfortable as on the sedan.
Very true.

I have a G37 coupe and for my wife and I, its fine. When we are going somewhere with friends, we always take my wife's SUV. When I have gigs on the weekend in the city, I take my wife's SUV. When we go on vacation, we take her SUV. When we go to visit our parents, we take her SUV.

I love the styling of the coupe, but my next car is going to be a sedan because other than commuting to and from work and the small trip to the grocery store, we always take her SUV.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:08 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
My guess its not 30 something's with small kids and car seats. Although I'm sure a car seat can be shoe horned into a q50.
Why dont you educate us all with your guess on the target buyer for a Q50?

Quick Reply: 2014 Q50 Review